Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 02-22-2010, 12:36 PM   #1
Mega-Contributor

Rider down in Phoenix

Some of the details of this story disturb me. I hope they file charges. Remember folks - these are the kind of motorists we can encounter at any given time.

Man in critical condition after motorcycle accident

by Megan Gordon - Feb. 21, 2010 08:28 PM
The Arizona Republic

A man, thrown from his motorcycle, is in critical condition after a woman on prescription drugs pulled out in front him, police said.

The man in his 40s was driving east on Indian School Road Sunday when the woman, driving west in her SUV, turned left and "failed to yield," Phoenix Police Department Lt. John White said.

White said the man suffered life-threatening head injuries after his motorcycle slammed into the passenger side of the woman's SUV near 68th Avenue. The motorcyclist wasn't wearing a helmet, he said.

Officers on scene noticed the woman's speech was slurred and had "clumsy body mechanics," White said.

"She admitted she was on prescription medication," White said. "Be a responsible person if you're on prescription medication, you're actually going to affect the lives of other people if you drive."

White said the woman likely faces aggravated assault charges. Police are still investigating.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-22-2010, 02:40 PM   #2

Rider down in Phoenix

Good reason to wear a helmet too. I'm just sayin.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:38 PM   #3

Rider down in Phoenix

Hope he makes a full recovery. I had to nearly lock up all 4 on my truck on the way to work Friday afternoon. A guy in a very nice new auto was at a stop sign and was sitting there for several seconds. When I was less than 100 feet from him he decided to pull out. I hit the brakes and horn and he stopped about 3 feet into my lane. I was moving at about 60 mph at the time. Obviously had his head up his @ss. If I would have been on my Nomad he probably would have followed through with his move and I may have been in the same shape as this guy in Phoenix.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 02-22-2010, 07:36 PM   #4

Rider down in Phoenix

Most of these idiots are probably on their cell phones all the time. In my opinion they are worse than drinking and driving.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 02-23-2010, 08:07 PM   #5

Rider down in Phoenix

I hate it when reporters put in, "The rider wasn't wearing a helmet" comments.

What is that supposed to mean to people reading? I think to most people who read a paper it means, "Idiot deserved to die, it's his own damn fault".

It also makes things seem more black and white. They will conclude that he is hurt because he doesn't wear a helmet, rather than, He'd be in a sh*tload of pain and very injured even if he did have a helmet on.

I wear a helmet, but I hate reporters deflecting some of the responsibility from the car drivers by saying they weren't wearing a helmet.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-23-2010, 10:27 PM   #6
Mega-Contributor

Rider down in Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lund
I hate it when reporters put in, "The rider wasn't wearing a helmet" comments.

What is that supposed to mean to people reading? I think to most people who read a paper it means, "Idiot deserved to die, it's his own damn fault".

It also makes things seem more black and white. They will conclude that he is hurt because he doesn't wear a helmet, rather than, He'd be in a sh*tload of pain and very injured even if he did have a helmet on.

I wear a helmet, but I hate reporters deflecting some of the responsibility from the car drivers by saying they weren't wearing a helmet.
That's the same way I feel, Dan. They make it sound like the rider didn't care enough to wear a helmet, so he didn't deserve to live. I guess it probably wouldn't bother me if helmets were mandatory in AZ. They aren't, so it's the riders choice. He wasn't breaking any laws by not wearing one, so why report if he was or wasn't.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 02-24-2010, 08:59 AM   #7

Rider down in Phoenix

I agree. It resembles an armed robbery or murder scenario. If the bad guy is carrying a semi auto weapon they are sure to report it. They never say the BG was using revolver. They do this to sensationalize the story in their own minds.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 02-25-2010, 10:52 PM   #8

Rider down in Phoenix

You all are right on the money here this "Reporter" had to put had to put her spin on this and make it sound like the rider was at fault for not wearing a helmet. Which is not required in Az.
Wearing a helmet may or may not have made any difference in this instance, When I got hurt it did make a difference for me but then I only kissed the pavement and rolled, not in to another vehicle. I wish him Godspeed and blessings in his recovery. I know it takes quite a while but you get better. DJ

Old 02-26-2010, 11:21 PM   #9
Advanced Member

Rider down in Phoenix

I agree with the "rider was not wearing a helmet" can cause some bias. In our neck of the woods, and maybe yours, automobile accident write-ups state if a seat belt was used and by how many occupants. We have seat belt and helmet laws. Seeing a write-up of a MC accident involving a rider not wearing a helmet is very weird.

VBA 00735
VROC 28102

2008 KVN MOB & NS

The only hand-held device that should be legal to use while driving is the STEERING WHEEL!

Old 02-27-2010, 01:35 PM   #10

Rider down in Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Some of the details of this story disturb me. I hope they file charges. Remember folks - these are the kind of motorists we can encounter at any given time.

Man in critical condition after motorcycle accident

by Megan Gordon - Feb. 21, 2010 08:28 PM
The Arizona Republic

A man, thrown from his motorcycle, is in critical condition after a woman on prescription drugs pulled out in front him, police said.

The man in his 40s was driving east on Indian School Road Sunday when the woman, driving west in her SUV, turned left and "failed to yield," Phoenix Police Department Lt. John White said.

White said the man suffered life-threatening head injuries after his motorcycle slammed into the passenger side of the woman's SUV near 68th Avenue. The motorcyclist wasn't wearing a helmet, he said.

Officers on scene noticed the woman's speech was slurred and had "clumsy body mechanics," White said.

"She admitted she was on prescription medication," White said. "Be a responsible person if you're on prescription medication, you're actually going to affect the lives of other people if you drive."

White said the woman likely faces aggravated assault charges. Police are still investigating.
You guys don't think the these two statements go hand in hand ???
I'm just saying...............................ATGATT
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 02-28-2010, 01:14 PM   #11
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Rider down in Phoenix

TC, I am in complete agreement with you. I think it is telling other riders that if he had been wearing a helmut maybe his injuries wouldn't have been as severe. I think it also a reminder for other riders to be sure and wear your helmut. I know that here in Alabama it is mandatory to wear a helmut. I have ridden in the west and I always wore my helmut even in the states that it isn't mandatory. Just saying, as TC says.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 03-01-2010, 07:37 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
Rider down in Phoenix

It does not bother me that the news report noted that he was not wearing a helmet, in my mind it is just a fact from the accident.

I would hope that the woman would be charged with driving under the influence as well as aggravated assault. That is what this story should focus on in my humble opinion.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 03-01-2010, 10:11 AM   #13
Mega-Contributor

Rider down in Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho (High Plains Drifter)
It does not bother me that the news report noted that he was not wearing a helmet, in my mind it is just a fact from the accident.

I would hope that the woman would be charged with driving under the influence as well as aggravated assault. That is what this story should focus on in my humble opinion.
In this case, perhaps if the rider was wearing a helmet, it might have had a different outcome. We don't know that. You can sustain severe head injuries while wearing a helmet. Anyone who believes otherwise is fooling themselves. A helmet MAY prevent SOME injuries, but they aren't magic and you can still get injured.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 03-01-2010, 02:25 PM   #14

Rider down in Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho (High Plains Drifter)

In this case, perhaps if the rider was wearing a helmet, it might have had a different outcome. We don't know that. You can sustain severe head injuries while wearing a helmet. Anyone who believes otherwise is fooling themselves. A helmet MAY prevent SOME injuries, but they aren't magic and you can still get injured.
I agree with Idaho and I agree with CJ.
That being said, I also believe in minimizing my chance for injury if I can. The fact that "A helmet MAY prevent SOME injuries" is enough reason for me to wear my full face all the time I'm riding.
Again, just my opinion, others may vary

On the subject of unnessary things put in the news. I think when they reported ,Chuck "txcwdancer" Burt's death they could have left out the part about a hand gun being found at the scene. That to me has nothing to do with the accident.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 03-01-2010, 11:51 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
Rider down in Phoenix

That is true TC. But it does fit with the bad biker image. Biker with a gun just has to have evil intentions.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter