Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rides/Trip Reports/Travel Information

Old 03-09-2011, 05:48 PM   #1
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
Something I think about

It won't be long and a lot of us adventurous ones, will be heading east for the 2nd KawaNOW National Rally. Can it come quick enough? Not for me.
I am hoping to have "midge" in Calgary join me but that will be a last minute thing for him probably. But I get concerned about riding alone on long trips, when I stop to think about it. It's always nice to have someone watching your back.
I traveled around a good part of Europe when I was younger, with a friend. But there were times when we didn't have our VW wagon or when we needed to split up in order to catch a lift or because we wanted to go in different directions. I never once felt uneasy though. Was I just too stoned to think about it or just naive to think something<s> might</s> could happen to me? I don't know if it's because I'm getting older, or because I'm on a motorcycle, or what it is but I am feeling a little apprehensive if I'm going to be riding very far on my own. Lots of crap can happen out there. I know I can make pans to meet up with members along the way, and that might happen. Hard to say right now.
I was just wondering if I'm the only one out there with the same concerns as me. There are a lot of ............".freaks"and weirdo's out there, not to mention bad people.
Your thoughts? ???

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-09-2011, 06:12 PM   #2
Advanced Member

Something I think about

Rickyboy,

Don't worry about the 'freaks and weirdos'. We don't let them across our borders!

Most things change when you get older. I think of stuff I did when I was young on my motorcycles and cringe thinking about it. I definately shouldn't be here right now. When your young, you're "ten feet tall and bullet proof". Isn't that the way all young people think?

VBA #1608
KZR #25622

Old 03-09-2011, 06:26 PM   #3
Advanced Member

Something I think about

I actually get a rush out of going out on long trips alone

Kind of makes life interesting being on the self survival mode.....Me against the rest

I would rather be alone then be with people hat get on my nerves

Old 03-09-2011, 07:05 PM   #4

Something I think about

Riding on my own has been a thrill. When something did happen the hand of providence took care of me. There were people there to pick me up, dust me off and help me on my way. Even when I stopped to take pictures there were bikers checking on me. The decent out number the freaks 1000 to 1.

Throw a leg over, point her south and ride!

Charlie "Ballast" Krogh
2005 1600 Nomad "Tangerine Dream"
VBA #999
VROC #29355

Old 03-09-2011, 07:34 PM   #5
Mega-Contributor

Something I think about

I hear you Rick. I know we Americans may not all be as polite and refined as your Canadian countrymen, but you'll be okay down here.

I'll have at least 2 days on the road by myself going to Maggie Valley. My wife is more worried about it than I am. My philosophy is "control the situations you can and don't sweat those you can't control".
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-09-2011, 07:49 PM   #6
Top Contributor

Something I think about

Rick,
It strikes me funny that you have no fear of getting on the bike itself....but worry about riding it alone on long trips. I like traveling alone...you learn a lot about people and yourself. I can be alone in a room with 50 people and inside 20 minutes I'll know half of them...but that's just me. I'll bet I've ridden five-thousand miles by myself on long trips and would have no hesitation to ride to Maggie Valley alone....it would be kinda cool actually.

AAA can take care of the mechanical issues (god forbid) and generally people are very caring if you need some other assistance. I'm always very courteous to everyone when riding alone....opening doors for women...saying hi to the old grandma/grandpa types....and strong handshakes and smiles to the guys I meet. So far...even in bars that maybe I should not be in.... ;)....I have had no issues.

I was wearing my KawaNOW patch in a bar in Missoula, MT one night when a bunch of club riders came in. One of them saw me and asked if that was my Vulcan outside. I looked him straight in the eye and answered yessir it was. He asked me how I liked it because he had heard good things about them. I told him I loved it as it was economical and super reliable. He just nodded his approval.....end of story....lol.

When I got backed into in LaGrande, OR on my way to the SW Rally last year....the guy who hit me was super sorry and helpful....following me to an auto repair shop where the tech there helped me straighten out my crash bar at no expense.

My point is, you can run into trouble anywhere, anytime....but not necessarily more so just because you are on the road. Live large Rickyboy....as Capt. Piccard of the Starship Enterprise would say.....ENGAGE!
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 03-09-2011, 08:16 PM   #7

Something I think about

Hey Rick, I know what you mean, but I also think a healthy concern about the things that can happen can actually help keep you safe. Sure you can't prepare for everything and for that you have to have some faith. Have you ever read Motorcycle Mojo?
It's a Canadian mag and has a regular feature about the adventures of a Irishman named Patti. He has been touring all over North America by himself. Quite entertaining and very inspirational.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 03-09-2011, 09:13 PM   #8
Sr. Contributor

Something I think about

Rickyboy, Chill.... There are many who have gone alone. The only ones that have problems on our roads are the ones who can have problems at the Thanksgiving table with their family and friends. I have been on the road by myself many times, up to five days at a time. People will walk up to you and start talking. They want to know where you have been and where you are going.
I'm not a fan of the MC shows where they build bikes, but they have made America more aware of MC's in general. Chill...
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 03-09-2011, 09:48 PM   #9
Advanced Member

Something I think about

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc
the adventures of a Irishman named Patti. He has been touring all over North America by himself. Quite entertaining and very inspirational.
I met the guy at the Toronto Supershow and he autographed me a copy of his book "The hunt for PUERTO DEL FAGLIOLI" Paddy Tyson is the chaps name.

Really good book to have in any riders collection ;)

Old 03-09-2011, 10:05 PM   #10

Something I think about

Over 10,000 miles on a trip in '09 by myself. Had a great time. I didn't go into road houses or bars and drank after putting up for the night. I guess what I'm saying is you have to be a little smart. I also talked to people along the way about areas I considered putting in for the night. At one point in Arkansas it was suggested to go about another 25 miles when outside of Little Rock. A fellow biker I had met told me the area was a little seedy. (High crime rate). Have fun.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:47 PM   #11

Something I think about

Stopping in the wrong place (the Seedy ones) can happen if you are by your self or in a cage with others just have to be on your toes and maybe a little help from fellow members once you get your route down there are enough members spread from Maggie Valley to your place to let you know of the bad places

Previous bikes - 2004 BMW R1200 CLC 2006 Nomad 1600 Black -1985 BMW K100 RT
VBA #001609
Viet-Nam Vet 71-72
Maryville , Tn.
Maggie Valley '11-Townsend '12-Estes Park '13- Copperhead fall rally "13- Elkins WV '14- Eureka Springs ' 15- Helen Ga. SE Rally '16

Old 03-09-2011, 11:20 PM   #12
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Something I think about

If you look for trouble you can find it. If you don't want trouble then more than likely you want have trouble. You just have to be careful. 99% of my riding through the years has been riding alone. Never had any problems, this includes people and mechanical. Just enjoy the ride.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 03-10-2011, 09:44 AM   #13

Something I think about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timebandit
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc
the adventures of a Irishman named Patti. He has been touring all over North America by himself. Quite entertaining and very inspirational.
I met the guy at the Toronto Supershow and he autographed me a copy of his book "The hunt for PUERTO DEL FAGLIOLI" Paddy Tyson is the chaps name.

I'll have to look out for the book. I have read many of his articles and enjoy his sense of humor and story telling style. I think his articles were called "The flight of Pegasus" or some thing similar.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 03-10-2011, 01:51 PM   #14
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
Something I think about

WOW !!! I wondered if there would be much response to this thread, when I wrote it.
I might have given some of you the wrong impression about me and who I am, and the concerns I have. BTW I appreciate everyone's encouragement to do the ride. But make no mistake I'm not afraid of much especially to ride or even be by myself. In fact I get along with myself quite well. I have all the right answers to the questions I ask myself. Like I said in my opening line, "It won't be long and a lot of us adventurous ones, will be heading east for the 2nd KawaNOW National Rally. Can it come quick enough? Not for me."
Seriously though .....I look fwd. to my time alone. Riding on my own is therapeutic for me. Gives a person time to think and as Kris said, "learn a lot about people and yourself" I guess what I might have said is that I miss the support and knowing someone you know and trust, has your back. It makes it that much more enjoyable. Less time thinking about the "freaks and weirdos". I've come across "trouble" in my day and have always come out on top for whatever reason
I think for the most part we all agree that $h*t can happen. And we need to use common sense and caution where warranted and stay away of known trouble areas.
I have always kept in mind a sign I saw on top of a huge log that was sitting on a crushed car, while driving a logging road in the northern most area of Vancouver Island when I was a lot younger. It simply read "Prepare For The Unexpected". There's a photo of it at the bottom. Anyway I appreciate everyone's comments, advice and things I found comical. Keep it all coming.
And I'll see the rest of you adventurous ones ;) at the Tiki Bar in Maggie Valley in June

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 03-10-2011, 06:35 PM   #15
Advanced Member

Something I think about

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timebandit

I'll have to look out for the book. I have read many of his articles and enjoy his sense of humor and story telling style. I think his articles were called "The flight of Pegasus" or some thing similar.
"Pegasus" is the bikes name