Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 03-15-2011, 09:44 PM   #1

Fairings

Has any one heard of Stealth Fairings for Harleys and will they fit on a Nomad? I know that there are some adapter brackets to allow a Harley fairing to fit our bikes. The Stealth is said to fit the Road King. It is a good looking fairing (very similar to Reckless) and is ready for audio and comes with two shields, mouting brackets, and is the same price as the Reckless fairing, but is already gel-coat black. Hopefully some one is familiar with these. Any information will be helpfull. I am looking at ALL options for adding a wing to my Nad.

Thanks,
T
VBA #01416
2012 Vaquero SE Candy-Lime Green/Black
aka "T'Kehla"
2005 Nomad 1600 Black/Silver
aka "Mystique" (SOLD)
2006 Vulcan Classic
aka "Lil'Wolf" (SOLD)

"Life isn't a race; no one gets out alive. May as well slow down and enjoy the ride."

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-16-2011, 04:50 AM   #2

Fairings

Ive never heard of them, but its always nice to have another choice. I'll try to find one later on today and see what they are about.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 03-16-2011, 09:42 AM   #3

Fairings

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...02380105982574

Here is the link to them on e-bay. I am really curious about them, they are carried by "the USA Trailer Store" on ebay. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
T
VBA #01416
2012 Vaquero SE Candy-Lime Green/Black
aka "T'Kehla"
2005 Nomad 1600 Black/Silver
aka "Mystique" (SOLD)
2006 Vulcan Classic
aka "Lil'Wolf" (SOLD)

"Life isn't a race; no one gets out alive. May as well slow down and enjoy the ride."

Old 03-16-2011, 12:55 PM   #4
Advanced Member

Fairings

Didn't buy from them, but that is the fairing I have same 4 speaker setup same 5 bolt windshield pattern, (minus the quick disconnect or power socket) and same brackets I modified to work on my Nomad.
But a few of those pictures on ebay seem disjointed as some show a much wider bottom then the others. Mine was after the Road Glide from 74-86 I think was the listing? So you may want to be sure of that. I had the original brackets (stainless steel polished and then they were covered as you see in the pics below) bent at the correct angles as I used cardboard to make a template and got the exact angles needed and length of each to have these modified and then I cut the bottom part off where it hit my lower bolts for the deflectors. I also drilled 1 new hole to mount on the inner fairing so it raised it slightly from what they had. I then used bolts and aluminum plates in behind to strengthen it and put washers there etc. This way the inner fairing is bolted to the brackets very well and the whole assembly can be removed in the matter of a few moments once the 4 allen button head windshield bolts are loosened (don't even have to take them off!!!

So here is a picture of mine (inner resting on the bike. And that bracket I modified to fit my bike. So YES it will work. One word of caution. The 5 bolt pattern windshield will limit you in what you can get as a replacement AND chrome accent for the front. Also the 5" Pyle speakers are about the only ones that fit those openings. I would opt for the 2 speaker setup if doing it again, hard to find the exact right size of speakers to fit these openings fwiw.

Here are a couple of pics of mine in the "process" and the finished one which is like my sig pic.

Bracket after (you already have the before in that ebay link)

Shows a close up with my stereo and speakers in.
And all done:

Hope that helps?

Scott

Old 03-17-2011, 03:16 AM   #5

Fairings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott (ve3hzz)
Didn't buy from them, but that is the fairing I have same 4 speaker setup same 5 bolt windshield pattern, (minus the quick disconnect or power socket) and same brackets I modified to work on my Nomad.
But a few of those pictures on ebay seem disjointed as some show a much wider bottom then the others. Mine was after the Road Glide from 74-86 I think was the listing? So you may want to be sure of that. I had the original brackets (stainless steel polished and then they were covered as you see in the pics below) bent at the correct angles as I used cardboard to make a template and got the exact angles needed and length of each to have these modified and then I cut the bottom part off where it hit my lower bolts for the deflectors. I also drilled 1 new hole to mount on the inner fairing so it raised it slightly from what they had. I then used bolts and aluminum plates in behind to strengthen it and put washers there etc. This way the inner fairing is bolted to the brackets very well and the whole assembly can be removed in the matter of a few moments once the 4 allen button head windshield bolts are loosened (don't even have to take them off!!!

So here is a picture of mine (inner resting on the bike. And that bracket I modified to fit my bike. So YES it will work. One word of caution. The 5 bolt pattern windshield will limit you in what you can get as a replacement AND chrome accent for the front. Also the 5" Pyle speakers are about the only ones that fit those openings. I would opt for the 2 speaker setup if doing it again, hard to find the exact right size of speakers to fit these openings fwiw.

Here are a couple of pics of mine in the "process" and the finished one which is like my sig pic.

Bracket after (you already have the before in that ebay link)

Shows a close up with my stereo and speakers in.
And all done:

Hope that helps?

Scott
Looks like you painted it, right? Why did you decide to paint the inner fairing black instead of matching the rest of your bike?
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-17-2011, 03:50 AM   #6

Fairings

That is the same type I used. All in all I think I'd buy a "reckless" if I had to do all over. Making the brackets was difficult, and fitting 5 1/4" speakers into the 4 1/2" holes was a pain.
VBA #931R
VROC #16379R

Old 03-17-2011, 06:58 AM   #7
Advanced Member

Fairings

"Looks like you painted it, right? Why did you decide to paint the inner fairing black instead of matching the rest of your bike?"

Jared, I painted the inner fairing of the bike satin black (used DupliColour rattle can for it) as I did not want GLARE from the sun off the inner fairing if I painted it body colour and then clear coat. Also this is a cheaper option. If (when) I make changes (as in add something?) or scratch it or??? It's easy to fix it. For example if I ever decided to get rid of the GPS mount there. A bit of fiberglass to cover the holes, and light sand and rattle can and looks good as new! Also it breaks up the fairing and blends in. Look at most HD's (not trying to be a copy cat) but most of them have a satin inner finish for the same reason (glare).

Just my way of thinking I guess? Maybe some think it looks peculiar? but I like it this way.

Scott

Old 03-17-2011, 07:10 AM   #8
Advanced Member

Fairings

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperboy
That is the same type I used. All in all I think I'd buy a "reckless" if I had to do all over. Making the brackets was difficult, and fitting 5 1/4" speakers into the 4 1/2" holes was a pain.
JP, I would have to agree with you. If doing it over again I'd opt for the Reckless fairing. Easier to work with (brackets) and different speakers. Also as I mentioned get one with 3 windshield holes not the 5 (harder to find trim, custom windshields or even windshield bags that will fit).

So since there about the same price would opt for that if doing it now. But when I got mine there were not Reckless Nomad fairings listed on e-bay?? Or I didn't find them for the price I paid (a bit cheaper then others have said the Reckless were had for).

Still it took time, a bit of aggravation and problem solving, but in the end it turned out OK, so I'm happy with it. Luck that I had SOME skill and can reason out how to make it work. If I was a novice, nope that one would be well beyond me. But that is why companies like Reckess, Primuex etc exist to fill a void for the novice or non technically minded rider who doesn't have the time, the mechanical skill or the space/tools to adapt something not meant for this application

Scott

Old 03-17-2011, 08:58 PM   #9
Advanced Member

Fairings

Quote:
"Looks like you painted it, right? Why did you decide to paint the inner fairing black instead of matching the rest of your bike?"

Jared, I painted the inner fairing of the bike satin black (used DupliColour rattle can for it) as I did not want GLARE from the sun off the inner fairing if I painted it body colour and then clear coat. Also this is a cheaper option. If (when) I make changes (as in add something?) or scratch it or??? It's easy to fix it. For example if I ever decided to get rid of the GPS mount there. A bit of fiberglass to cover the holes, and light sand and rattle can and looks good as new! Also it breaks up the fairing and blends in. Look at most HD's (not trying to be a copy cat) but most of them have a satin inner finish for the same reason (glare).

Just my way of thinking I guess? Maybe some think it looks peculiar? but I like it this way.

Scott
I too did a flat black interior and gloss exterior. Personally I wish my whole bike was flat black, but other than that, I did it for the same reasons as you.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:35 PM   #10

Fairings

I hear ya Scott. I swear the "reckless option" showed up the day after I finished mine. I have the satisfaction of knowing I did it the hard way:( Oh well, I really like the look, and am glad I did it. I also agree about the 3 hole vs. 5 hole and windshield and trim options. I usually make my own screens, but the chrome would be nice to add.
VBA #931R
VROC #16379R

Old 03-18-2011, 07:02 AM   #11
Advanced Member

Fairings

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocheese72
Quote:

Scott
I too did a flat black interior and gloss exterior. Personally I wish my whole bike was flat black, but other than that, I did it for the same reasons as you.

Looks very nice. I went with a SATIN finish over FLAT just so it had a bit of sheen, and it would reflect SOME heat, and since most of the other parts (plastic) has a low sheen felt it matched better. Also saw a lot of HD's etc that had the inner fairing black and like the look. Also thought that with a little sheen if I had to CLEAN it would be easier. I've had flat black and found sometimes when you cleaned it would have streaks.

Scott

Old 03-18-2011, 07:09 AM   #12
Advanced Member

Fairings

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperboy
I hear ya Scott. I swear the "reckless option" showed up the day after I finished mine. I have the satisfaction of knowing I did it the hard way:( Oh well, I really like the look, and am glad I did it. I also agree about the 3 hole vs. 5 hole and windshield and trim options. I usually make my own screens, but the chrome would be nice to add.
Yes the Reckless came out just after I bought mine (still was a bit more then I paid) and the shipping or time was shorter?? But again did it the hard way as you so have bragging rights...LOL>...
And as far as the 5 hole windshield chrome trim, Hoppe Quadzilla (sp) has chrome trim that will work for these. Also if you go to any Bike swap meets (most are all HD) you may find one to fit your fairing there, since it is an HD clone!!! I'm going to look for now. I've thought of making one from some aluminum and then polishing the hell out of it, but more work then I want to do right now!!! But could be a cheaper option? Anyway other then my first attempt at paint on it I'm happy with the way it turned out. I'll live with it this year and maybe a repaint next winter??? Who knows? Still want lowers...but no $$ now for that....but things can change ;)

Scott

Old 03-18-2011, 09:15 AM   #13
Mega-Contributor

Fairings

Since I am now in the market for another fairing after my crash, I will go with another Reckless, and if my insurance company agrees, I'll order it factory paint-matched (not an option when I bought my first Reckless nearly a year ago).
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 03-18-2011, 09:32 AM   #14
Advanced Member

Fairings

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Since I am now in the market for another fairing after my crash, I will go with another Reckless, and if my insurance company agrees, I'll order it factory paint-matched (not an option when I bought my first Reckless nearly a year ago).
Yes if I had to do it over and they offered paint match I'd likely have had them do it for the extra fee. I did my own, and not bad, a few issues (to me) and the paint material cost was a factor too. I got some practice and some more experience doing it, so that's OK. But like you I'd have it done next time if the costs weren't too high. If insurance was doing it, OH YEAH definately they'd be doing it.

Hope it all works out CJ and you get what you DESERVE out of the bike or repair $ given by the adjuster.
Will you go for a 4 speaker system? and any other ADD ON's this go around you hadn't prior? Again depending on how things work out.

Scott

OH and glad to hear your getting a full nights REST now!!!! I'm sure it helps greatly with the Aches and pains!!!!

Old 03-18-2011, 10:10 AM   #15
Mega-Contributor

Fairings

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Yes if I had to do it over and they offered paint match I'd likely have had them do it for the extra fee. I did my own, and not bad, a few issues (to me) and the paint material cost was a factor too. I got some practice and some more experience doing it, so that's OK. But like you I'd have it done next time if the costs weren't too high. If insurance was doing it, OH YEAH definately they'd be doing it.

Hope it all works out CJ and you get what you DESERVE out of the bike or repair $ given by the adjuster.
Will you go for a 4 speaker system? and any other ADD ON's this go around you hadn't prior? Again depending on how things work out.

Scott

OH and glad to hear your getting a full nights REST now!!!! I'm sure it helps greatly with the Aches and pains!!!!
No, I'll stick with my 2-6.5" speakers. I really don't care for the 4 speaker look, just my personal preference. I may rethink my switch mounting for the accessories. I may just mount them on the space above the radio, instead of around the speakers. Those were a b1tch to layout the first time. It's difficult to make measurements on something that has few square angles on it.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17