Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 04-01-2008, 12:09 PM   #1

XM radio antenna?

I am installing my XM radio this weekend. Has anyone found a good place to mount the antenna. I purchased an antenna with a 40 inch wire, so I do not have a lot to work with. I was thinking the front fender, or maybe somewhere on the XM radio's mount.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-01-2008, 04:05 PM   #2

XM radio antenna?

Don't know how big you antenna is. I've seen several of the smaller size antennas velcroed to the top of the brake or clutch reservoir cover or on the headlight bucket.

I saw an XM antenna for the Garmim Zumo 550 GPS, which is about three inches across, mounted on a little metal bracket that was bolted to the two screws holding the turn signal bar. It set out and under the headlight. The bracket was painted black and was barely noticeable. He used the turn signal bar as a template to drill the mounting holes.

If you don't plan to install a luggage rack you could fabricate an L bracket and attach it to the license plate mount or to the two bolts that hold the passenger backrest.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:23 PM   #3

XM radio antenna?

txcwdancer,

Thanks for the reply. Lots of good ideas there. I may try the top of the brake and clutch reservoir. My antenna is real small, about 3/4 inch square, or maybe an inch square at the most. They should make them chrome, it would be much easier.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:25 PM   #4

XM radio antenna?

I have mine velcro to clutch cover.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:05 PM   #5

XM radio antenna?

There is an XM bracket on the market that holds both the radio and antenna. It looks like an elongated "Z" that's being stretched apart (if that makes sense). I think it's on cyclegadgets.com. It has a velcro loop that keeps your rolled up antenna wire under control.

Russ

Fraternal Order of Police, NY Lodge 50
American Legion, NY Post 616
Legion Riders, NY Post 259
Patriot Guard Riders

"A democracy is two wolves deciding on lunch, freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of that decision." - Ben Franklin

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-01-2008, 07:45 PM   #6
Advanced Member

XM radio antenna?

The Sirius one was magnetic - I just stuck it to the windshield trim and it worked like a charm!

Old 04-02-2008, 08:10 AM   #7

XM radio antenna?

I have the same one as you... It is magnetic.. I put mine on top of the headlight..

Old 04-02-2008, 03:15 PM   #8
Advanced Member

XM radio antenna?

http://www.myradiostore.com/mounts-b...otorcycle.html

Old 04-02-2008, 03:24 PM   #9

XM radio antenna?

I found a real good location for the antenna and installed it today. See pics bellow. It is mounted on the light bar next to the left blinker.

My only problem is it is too loud. I am using it with earphones and I do not have any way to control the volume except for the Audio Level on my xm radio. I thought that would be enough but it is way too loud at its lowest settings. What are others using for earphones, earplugs or helmet speakers? Do they have a volume control?

Thanks for the ideas.