Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 05-10-2009, 02:20 PM   #1

Cobra True Dual HELP!!!

Hey Everyone,

I have just installed by new cobra true duals on my 07 VN1600. Ill be honest and say its not what I expected. Here is why...I also have a VTX1300C with Cobra Speedster longs and they sound GREAT!!!!! So when it came time to buy pipes for the VN it was a no brainer and got the Cobra's with the billet tips. I fired her up and....blah :( They sound better than the stock but still not deep or really much change in idle volume. While riding it has a different note but still muted IMO.

So the question is....What can I do short of purchasing new pipes. Can I debaffle? add he FI2000? Or am I stuck with it...dont get me wrong they dont sound bad...just not what I'm used to and had in mind.

Thanks in advance!!!

MH

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-10-2009, 07:36 PM   #2
Top Contributor

Cobra True Dual HELP!!!

Sorry to hear revolver: thats why i bought V&H. Cobra's did not do it for me. Guess not you either. i don't know of any fix except new pipes. lesson learnt.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:55 PM   #3

Cobra True Dual HELP!!!

Rev, a lot of people put the V&H on and find them "too" loud. Then work on quieting them down. I had them on my 07 Nomad and finally took them off. Currently have stock pipes with silencers removed but that just doesn't do it either so you are not the only one with "audio challenges"!!!
You have three choices, 1) keep them on the bike until you learn like them ...or 2) post here that you will trade even up for the V&H dual with someone who's decided theirs are too loud or 3) and this is the easy one! sell your duals to me for $200 (if they are louder than debaffled stocks but not as loud as V&H then I will like them, maybe and your purchase is not total loss)
What cha think dude, there's a chance that one of us could end up happy!!!!
I am sort of fun"n with you Rev but if you decide to take off drop me a line as I might buy. And there are a lot of Nads around with the V&H on em so listen to a couple before you make that purchase
2010 Titanium Goldwing
2014 KLR 650 New Edition

Old 05-10-2009, 09:00 PM   #4

Cobra True Dual HELP!!!

I don't know anything about the cobras, but It is my understanding that if you have the billet tips, then the baffles may be removable. Check to see if you can remove the tips, then the baffles. If they are wrapped, try them "un-wrapped". Sorry about not being any more help, but check and see.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 05-10-2009, 09:06 PM   #5

Cobra True Dual HELP!!!

Try giving the people at Cobra a call and see what they say. They may have an answer.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-10-2009, 09:34 PM   #6
Advanced Member

Cobra True Dual HELP!!!

I have the cobra true duals and like them. I had V&H LongShots on my 1500 classic and liked them also. I probably would have gone with the V&H Baggers for the Nomad but I know of quite a few nomad owners who had problems with the pipes breaking at the weld in the last few years.
the cobra's are definitly quiet at idle and even when your rolling at a constant speed. I can be rolling 60mph and talk to the wife on back easily. I've kind of got to where i like that. I mean you can hear them but they're pretty quiet. However, when you give it the gas they come alive.
As far as the baffles go they are removable, so thats another option for you. i haven't pulled my baffles so I can't tell you how thye sound with the baffles gone.

2012 Vaquero
Special edition Candy Lime Green / Ebony
Cobra slip on exhaust, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Cobra FI2000 Fuel Processor, Quick release trunk, Front & rear crashbars powdercoated black, Paul Yaffee stealth 3 tag frame, Arlen Ness grips, Corbin seat, Custom pinstripping, Rear LED strip turn signals, Stock rear turnsignals / tagframe assembly removed

Old 05-10-2009, 11:00 PM   #7

Cobra True Dual HELP!!!

I've heard both the cobra duals and the V&H on Nomads and they both sound about the same imo. I didn't like how either one of them sounded and that is why I have added the "ultimate baffle" to my V&H. Still not as loud as my 900 was with the cobra speedsters, but acceptable.
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 05-11-2009, 09:27 AM   #8

Cobra True Dual HELP!!!

Revolver, your story sounds like mine. I had an 05 VTX1300 with the speedster longs that sounded great. When I put the Cobra's on my 08 1600 a few weeks ago I was disappointed. But don't freak out yet, the billet tips have removable baffles and there is a lot that can be modified.

First thing you should do is pull the fiberglass packing. That will get you started and might be what you're looking for. If you haven't pulled the baffles yet: 2 Allen bolts hold the tip and 2 more hold the baffle. The baffle will most likely be snug. You may need a rod with a hook on the end to help, they are about 2 ft long.

You can pull the baffles completely but that was too loud for me. I also cut the baffles in half but it was still not what I was looking for. What I finally did was was remove the original baffle and welded in a set from Cycle Shack that where made for Harley Screamin Eagle pipes. They sound really good to me now. Deep and throaty but not too loud. I'll pull one of the baffles tonight and post a few pics. Hopefully this gives you some options and ideas.

- Dave

Dave "Dogleg" Pettigrew
VBA #01124
CVRA & AMA member
Pataskala, OH
2006 Nomad
2011 Red Vaquero - Sold
2008 Nomad - Sold

Old 05-11-2009, 11:47 AM   #9

Cobra True Dual HELP!!!

dogleg,

Thanks for the info on the Cobra baffles. I look forward to seeing the pics.

I also have the cobra true duels on my '01 1500. I've had them almost a year now, and I think they are getting louder. When I first got them I had to get on it to really hear it, now people notice even when I am riding slowly through a parking lot. I still feel they are on the quiet side compared to most loud bikes, but I really like the sound.

Cobra seems like a good company to deal with. I had a rattle where the two header pipe covers meet, there should be a gap and there wasn't, Cobra replaced them under warranty. Still no gap, but I dealt with it and the lower pipe cover is no longer scratched from the upper one.

revolver,

I hope you find a solution you like.

Michael

Old 05-11-2009, 03:38 PM   #10

Cobra True Dual HELP!!!

Thanks Everyone!! I called cobra today and they said they are removable. So I have spent the last hour and a half ( and a good bit of sweat) with some WD40 and 9" needle nose trying to getting thesefreaking baffles out!! I have pulled so hard the bike started moving!! So now the question is how do I get these freaking baffles out while they are mounted to the bike??

Thanks again!!!

Old 05-11-2009, 09:34 PM   #11

Cobra True Dual HELP!!!

I've got the true duals and I love them. True, there are times I wish they sounded a little crisper. I've got a friend with a harley sportster and custom exhaust, and that damn thing CRACKS just like I wish mine did some times. Overall though, I'm please with the true duals. They sound good going down the road and on the interstate, and they get everyone's attention which was the point.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:40 AM   #12

Cobra True Dual HELP!!!

revolver - I have the true duals as well. My last bike was a Road Star Warrior with a Cobra slip-on. That thing had some 'tude. When I knew my Nomad had Cobra's on it I thought the sound would be comparable. I was a little disappointed.

As time has passed, the baffles have opened up considerably and there is a lot more noise coming out of them. Keep a couple of things in mind.

Your speedsters dumped right out at the end of the bike on one side. probably with nothing between the end of them and your ear. Your new pipes come out one on each side and are under a set of hard saddle bags. Not to mention the duals come out about and inch or two behind the bags. Give the baffles some time. Mine opened up and I am a lot happier with the sound now. The baffles in mine are not removeable (old style) and I recently drilled (with a really long drill bit) a couple of holes in the baffle. It opened it up a little more during idle. I may drill some more, but for now I like it.

Have someone that you trust ride the bike in front of you and follow them. I think you will soon realize the pipes are not as quiet as you first thought. They really are a great touring pipe.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:49 PM   #13

Cobra True Dual HELP!!!

Here's the pic of the Cycle Shack baffle beside the old one. (please disregard the poor welding - I'm no welder) I also used a reducer for each one that I picked up at Parts America but I don't remember the size. I just took both pieces in and got what I needed. I got the baffles from Dennis Kirk PN# 4403299.

I also made a quick video with an old Sony digital camera and put it on You Tube.

Dave "Dogleg" Pettigrew
VBA #01124
CVRA & AMA member
Pataskala, OH
2006 Nomad
2011 Red Vaquero - Sold
2008 Nomad - Sold

Old 05-12-2009, 10:28 PM   #14

Cobra True Dual HELP!!!

I too have the cobra true dual billet tips....I love them..I can ride all day without ear plugs..they have a nice bark to them. Great sounding idle too. I operate heavy equipment all day and noise is something I don't want to much of. I think the cobras are a little quieter then the v and h which is perfect for me. Hopefully you get the right sound with the baffleling...Bdog

Old 05-13-2009, 04:04 PM   #15
Advanced Member

Cobra True Dual HELP!!!

I have the Cobra true duals with tapered tips. These pipes do not have removable baffles and (I believe) don't have wadding. The sound is great. It is loud but not too loud. They have a nice deep rumble at idle, and can be pretty dang loud when you open it up. Maybe if you remove the wadding, yours will sound more like these.
Pablo