Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 07-01-2009, 06:39 PM   #1

New Voyager, Took a hard look tonight

Dealer has a blue/black Voyager in. I gave it hard look. He is willing to bargain hard on it for my '04 Bronze Nomad 1500FI.

Told my wife to drive by to look at it on her way home. Haven't heard her opinion yet. She may not have much of an opinion.

I am a bit concerned about the plastic on the bike... as it is loaded with it. Just about everything I touched was plastic.

The bags are fairly thin plastic, as mentioned by everyone, and concerns me as well.

I don't know if I'll "pull the trigger" or not.

If I do... it will be tomorrow or not at all this season.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-01-2009, 08:58 PM   #2

I looked at the same paint scheme today at the local dealership. Like the bike but already have identified some things that I'd have to figure out a way around: rear floor boards are too high for my wife, thin plastics, how to get a hitch on the thing, etc.

Like the look but I think I'll have to pass on it for awhile. The other thing is the dealership rep was talking some serious garbage to me about color being the only one available in the state and that this may be the only one in the state...plus some other stuff that I told my wife was garbage.

I should work there. I could probably sell some Nomads for them with some first hand experience.
2003 BMW K1200LT "Magic Carpet" DOA 11/7/2015
VBA #00291
IBA # 41995
DS #320
'08 Elkins, WV; '09 Helen, GA; '09 Custer, SD; '10 Stanton, VA; '11 Maggie Valley; '12 Townsend, TN; '13 Estes Park; '13 Blairsville, GA; '15 Eureka Springs; '16 Helen; '18 Custer, SD

Old 07-01-2009, 09:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson
The bags are fairly thin plastic, as mentioned by everyone, and concerns me as well.
Well, not by everyone. I've read those statements too and I still don't get it. For one thing,my Nomad bags are every bit as substantial as the ones on my 05 Goldwing (traded on the Nomad) if not more so. As far as capacity, I travel solo, just did a long trip and I can't figure out just what more you need that can't be handled in the bags and a Biker's Friend on the passenger seat.Nope, don't get it. ???

Old 07-02-2009, 06:45 AM   #4

Putt;

Regarding the plastic's gauge... I think the concern comes from the fact that my '04's bags are made of much heavier gauge plastic and in no-way "flex" like the Voyager's bags do (at least the one I looked at).

The size isn't that much of an issue for me. It appears I can get just as much in them as my current ones. In fact, I am not sure I wouldn't like a top-loading bag instead of the side-loading. Sometimes the side-loading is a hassle -- things can fall out.

Putt; I appreciate your input on this. I don't want you to think I am "slamming" your bike or anyone else's; I simply was commenting on the differences I see between my '04 and the new Voyager.

Since you have a Nomad I can't ask you this question: Is there a vibration from the front lower-fairings? When I touched them it seemed they would vibrate at speed. Not sure though.

Coacha; I hear you. It seems all the dealers around here only received the blue/black bikes at this time... so maybe certain areas were getting the one color first.

Regarding the rear foot boards... thanks for the heads-up. I'll have to check that out, although Kendra and I are not as tall as you and your wife... so it may not be a problem for us.

Who knows what these guys tell you sometimes. I would agree... I think I could sell more bikes if I worked at these places. The sales people around here just don't seem to "get it" either.

I suppose whether I get this bike or not will depend on what the dealer says on price and trade today. We'll see. He seemed rather eager.

PS: I noticed the Voyager has a heavier curb-weight and a higher seat-height than my '04 Nomad... although the Voyager didn't seeem to sit higher or be heavier. In fact; it seemed lighter. Must be from a better balancing of the bike.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 07-02-2009, 08:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Putt; I appreciate your input on this. I don't want you to think I am "slamming" your bike or anyone else's; I simply was commenting on the differences I see between my '04 and the new Voyager.
Actually, I've responded to a number of remarks about the bags and the first thought I always have before putting pen to paper is that "I'm going to end up sounding defensive about this." Hate that, because the truth is I just don't get it. I've had my bags off and I'm impressed with the engineering on everything about them, so if I'm missing something perhaps the constant comparison to the "old" Nomad bags is the problem, maybe they were made out of pressed steel or something, don't know, but the bags on mine would probably hold up to being filled with wet cement. What more do you need? And complaining about "plastic?" Hey, I just got rid of a Wing, if you hate plastic, don't get a Wing, so I know from plastic as does everybody else who rides a modern Tourer. Like the guy in The Graduate said to Dustin Hoffman, "plastics baby, plastics" (I paraphrase.) He was right. And I've seen totalled Wings and never once did I say "if only it was made of sheet metal it would be undamaged."
Anyway, I'm gonna' quit rebutting "the bags issue", its a lost cause, reminds me of when the Corvette first came out (I owned a 54) and we were told we were all doomed if we drove one. Sigh! This all started for me when I read a comment from one guy who said he could depress the bag about 3 inches when he pressed on the side. Rediculous.
OK, shut up Putt. ::)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-03-2009, 05:53 AM   #6

Send a message via MSN to trevwales

Hi, got to put my 2 pence worth in here (uk). I think a lot of the flex that is mentioned regarding the bags is due to them being tested when they are open. They do flex then, but when closed they are solid, and to me are more usable as they are top loaded (not going to argue, my opinion only). The older bags also have a lip around the opening where the door is which makes them more rigid, perhaps a mod for future would be to integrate this into the new bags.

You were concerned about the lower fairing vibrating, mine doesnt, dont know if others do. In fact it is strange that the fairing as such is pretty solid, the only complaint I have is that the screen is too high, i'm a short-ass at 5'8".

The weight issue is to me a non-issue, as even a wimp like me can easily (well it seems that way) pick it up off the stand. More easily than my 07 nomad to me, but I'm biased! And it is easier to pick up when it on it's side! Don't ask! I couldnt pick up the nomad (told you I was a wimp) but did pick the voyager up! Wasnt easy, but did it, and was so chuffed my head nearly outgrew my helmet!

The foot boards, when i saw the bike in UK show and tried it out, seemed flimsy to me too. They are now rubber mounted, so what you are feeling is the give in the rubbers as you put your feet on them. Check out my photobucket account I have pics in there showing them. Link is in my post in this section 'new baby'.

http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...albumview=grid

Damn I talk too much, sorry. Remember when you make your choice, it is for you, not anyone else, so be sure you are happy with it.

Oh one more thing, plastic doesnt rust! A good thing for me here in Wales where the rain is generally prevalent.

If you need any more questions answered I would be happy to do so, Trev

Old 07-03-2009, 08:12 AM   #7

Putt; Didn't mean to rile you. Was only making an observation about the difference between the two bags. The fact is however... the newer bags are thinner gauged plastic and do flex when you open them. My concern will be that eventually the plastic will tear or crack at the flex-point. This issue is not necessarily a "deal-buster" for me though.

I looked at HD's bags and they flex when opening them also... ...so the flexing may not be as big a deal as some have made it out to be.

Other than that... the look of the bike is growing on me. It is clearly a shorter bike than my '04. And, although a heavier bike... it clearly did not feel as heavy as mine -- which is a plus for me -- since I am not too tall or large.

As trevwales said... I have concern over the height of the windshield as I am even shorter than he. I was told it was adjustable... but didn't see where that was the case.

I also noticed the the foot boards have spring-mounts under the rubber pads... thus giving it a "loose" feeling compared to a solid foot board. Not sure why they felt they needed to do that... unless it was to minimize vibration. Again... this isn't a deal buster so much as a curiosity.

While plastic apparently isn't an issue with some and is an issue with others... I thought the amount of plastic on the bike was fairly substantial. Plastic doesn't "wear" as well as chromed metal over time... thus wondering if the "chromed-plastic" will start to look like crap after a couple years of wear-and-tear, and washings. I have some chromed-plastic side-covers on my '04 and they have already started to look like crap after just 3-years. I would seriously believe a similar situation would happen to the plastic on the Voyager over time... but who knows.

I did go to the dealer to discuss the bike and he apparently isn't willing to deal as much as I would have liked thus far on this bike. He said the other dealer in town sold their first Voyager in two-days for cash. He said he is getting a similar response on the one he has thus feels he has reason to hold-off on "giving the bike away".

He is getting a Silver/Black model in any day now... so I may consider waiting to see what it looks like in comparison to the Blue/Black.

My wife said if I liked the bike I could go ahead and buy it... but to be sure I wanted it as this would be the last bike for a while. There will be no "changing of your mind" on this one, she said! Then she asked... what is wrong with the bike you have? How can you answer that question without losing? (Man... she's rough! Ha!)

Thanks for your input guys... I'll keep you posted.

VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 07-03-2009, 08:22 AM   #8

"But Honey, honest, it will be the last bike for awhile"...lol. She is being a practical woman.
VBA #00291
IBA # 41995
DS #320
'08 Elkins, WV; '09 Helen, GA; '09 Custer, SD; '10 Stanton, VA; '11 Maggie Valley; '12 Townsend, TN; '13 Estes Park; '13 Blairsville, GA; '15 Eureka Springs; '16 Helen; '18 Custer, SD

Old 07-03-2009, 03:01 PM   #9

glwWilson,

I had some of the same concerns before I picked mine up at the dealers. First off I.m 5'6" and 150lbs. Not a big guy.

I say buy it, it will not last long in the showroom. The only issues I have now is the seat height and shield height. Cee Baileys has shorter shields on there website. All I need to do is order one. The seat height I'm getting used to. The shocks don't have to be pumped up like the old 1500 Nomad shocks did. The ride is great, and slow speed maneuvers are unbelievably easy.

The bags and fairing seam fine but only time will tell. I think it is heaver getting off the kickstand but not a big deal. (But I would opt for a longer stand) The lowers also seam fine. It may be running a little hotter (right leg) than the old Nomad with 90,000 miles. Remember it's not broken in yet.

The Blue ones are the fastest.

Elk Hunter

Old 07-03-2009, 04:41 PM   #10

Went to another dealer. He had a blue one. My wife wants to see the Titanium color the dealer has coming in before we commit.

Knowing her... her choice will be the Titanium.

Dealer gave me a firm price on the Voyager (non-ABS model). He wants $15,500 flat for it.

He said he would give me $6,000 for my '04 1500FI Nomad... leaving $9,500 (plus tax, title, and license) as the balance due.

Sound reasonable to anyone?

VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 07-03-2009, 05:24 PM   #11

That's $800 better than I paid and it was a cash deal, no trade. I had money down since March. Another dealer had a silver one and wanted over MSRP? As far as I know he still has it. He never caled to tell me it was in either.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:35 PM   #12

It sounded like a reasonable offer from him. We'll just have to see when he gets the other bike.

Thanks for all your input guys.

VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 07-03-2009, 07:48 PM   #13

Sounds like a good deal. Good luck and keep us posted.
VBA #00291
IBA # 41995
DS #320

Old 07-03-2009, 08:44 PM   #14

Sounds pretty good to me Greg. HD offered me $7,000 on my '07 with less than 8,000 miles on the odometer. This was on an Ultra which totalled $26,000 with tax, title, & license. I told them their offer was an insult and left.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 07-04-2009, 05:38 AM   #15

Quote:
Putt; Didn't mean to rile you. Was only making an observation about the difference between the two bags. The fact is however... the newer bags are thinner gauged plastic and do flex when you open them. My concern will be that eventually the plastic will tear or crack at the flex-point. This issue is not necessarily a "deal-buster" for me though.
I looked at HD's bags and they flex when opening them also... [i]...so the flexing may not be as big a deal as some have made it out to be.[/i]
Not riled my friend, just astonished at the focus on the bags as "flimsy, etc,etc which I think is misleading to anyone reading about the 1700 and making a decision on whether to buy or not to buy. And its wrong.The definition of flimsy includes "ill conceived and inadequate" which does not apply to these bags. Lets say the gold standard on bags is the Goldwing,the Nomad bags easily meet or exceed that standard, metal on metal latches, through bolting at the hinges, rubber bushings at the mount points. They're boxes,the strength of a box comes from maintaining "the box" and when you "split" that box, in other words, destroy that integrity by opening the lid, of course it flexes, half inch thick plastic walls would still flex with the lid open, you only have to worry about it breaking if it doesn't flex. The wing on a Boeing 747 flexes. A lot. If it didn't, it would break off. My advice? Don't ride around with the bags open. Try the Goldwing bags, broken plastic connectors on the remote bag lid releases was a big problem on them until a fix. You haven't lived until you find you can't open your bags at the end of a long ride and if you overstuffed them (who doesn't?) the risk was always there. Ask me how I know. And I had the trunk replaced on my Wing (warranty, phew! $800 plus) from....CRACKING! So did a riding bud of mine, both 05s. Thinner plastic than the Nomad bags but at a point that didn't flex. Have no idea what that proves except that the grass is not always greener etc,etc.
The Harley bags! They were the deal breaker for me in deciding between the Road King and the Nomad , because not only are they engineered on "The Box" concept structurally, they look like they were copied from a UPS shipping box esthetically. The dealer told me I could replace them with Corbins. What are they, $1500 plus? then you have to get them painted. And you want to see flex? Open the lid on the HD box, errrrr, bag and take a look.
Chromed plastic? Get used to it. Present and pending EPA regs are going to send chromed metal to the same graveyard as lead additives in gasoline. Plus a lot of it is done in China anyway. Take a good look at real chrome in the parking lot at bike events. Scratched, tarnished and downright rusted is not unusual and the replacement cost is a heckuva lot higher than chromed plastic. And....all those acres of chromed plastic on my $20,000 plus Wing looked as good as new when I sold it. By the way, don't use metal polish on chromed plastic!!!
Riled? Heck no. PITA? Yeah, probably.