Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 05-10-2008, 04:52 AM   #1
Advanced Member

couple of dumb questions

Figured I ought to ask these questions since things aren't always what you think they are.
Question 1: if I have half a tank of 91 octane and fill it with 89 octance do I now have 90 octance gasoline?
Question 2: I have a large windshield bag that won't fit with my windshield in the lowered position since I have a tachometer installed. Can I mount it below the light bar above the fender or will that block too much air to the radiator?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-10-2008, 07:08 AM   #2

couple of dumb questions

I see you have a dozen views but no responses yet. Hang in there it's early in the morning. I don't know the answers but thought about the gasoline question myself.

BTW-What's the meaning of life? :-/
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing

Old 05-10-2008, 07:34 AM   #3
Top Contributor

couple of dumb questions

#1 yes
#2 send the bag to me

Old 05-10-2008, 08:10 AM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
couple of dumb questions

1) it means half your talk has 91 and the other half has 89.

2) send the bag to father beeze..

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 05-10-2008, 08:16 AM   #5

couple of dumb questions

I've had a tool bag in that position on a Vulcan 800 for years that looks like it would block about the same amount of air as on the Nomad and have never had a cooling problem, although the Nad does tend to run a little warmer in the first place. Might not be a problem in Maine. Just remember that most that space can be needed by the front fended when the fork compresses.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-10-2008, 09:39 AM   #6

couple of dumb questions

I would say yes to Q1 as for Q2 there is a post on Gadgets page about mounting it behind the passenger seat but I can't find it right now.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 05-10-2008, 09:49 AM   #7

couple of dumb questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat (TC)
I would say yes to Q1 as for Q2 there is a post on Gadgets page about mounting it behind the passenger seat but I can't find it right now.
I should have mentioned that on the Nomad, I did mount a bag behind /under the passenger backrest per gadget, and not in front. Doesn't look as right there like it did on my 800 that also has leather saddle bags too

Old 05-10-2008, 11:10 PM   #8

couple of dumb questions

Today I went riding with oldbiker, and dkdixie, on my last fill-up I put in the regular 87 octane with a half tank of 93 octane, and on the ride back home, I was very surprised to find the bike ran better, and the throttle was more responsive,and no pinging, and it was pretty warm today. I have never used anything less than 91 octane. Why did it seem to run "better"?

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 05-10-2008, 11:19 PM   #9

couple of dumb questions

It ran better because it was better gas. Quality varies, particularly since now any old adulterant people can dump in it will sell out for $4 a gallon. One day you'll get a tank of really old, stale, polluted gas and 5 miles later you'll wonder why your bike is suddenly running like a one-lung 1936 Minneapolis-Moline water pump.(If it smells like varnish? That's a dead giveaway that it's stale. If it has a really bad varnish smell? Go somewhere else to gas up.)

Lower octane gas actually has more "punch" to it. Octane (or it's equivalents) is what they add so it doesn't burn quite as readily, and pre-ignite in high-compression engines. Or in this case, smog-law-restricted nomads. If you can run low octane, it's better fuel. I run it in cold weather all the time.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:24 PM   #10

couple of dumb questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddmannq
It ran better because it was better gas. Quality varies, particularly since now any old adulterant people can dump in it will sell out for $4 a gallon. One day you'll get a tank of really old, stale, polluted gas and 5 miles later you'll wonder why your bike is suddenly running like a one-lung 1936 Minneapolis-Moline water pump.(If it smells like varnish? That's a dead giveaway that it's stale. If it has a really bad varnish smell? Go somewhere else to gas up.)

Lower octane gas actually has more "punch" to it. Octane (or it's equivalents) is what they add so it doesn't burn quite as readily, and pre-ignite in high-compression engines. Or in this case, smog-law-restricted nomads. If you can run low octane, it's better fuel. I run it in cold weather all the time.
Appreciate that CQ, It was, and has always ran well, It just was a little better than it has ever been.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 05-10-2008, 11:26 PM   #11

couple of dumb questions

I've only gotten really bad gas twice in my life. Gas so bad I wanted to dump it out right there on the road and pee in the tank 'cause the bike woulda run better. Eventually it happens though. Beware.