Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 02-10-2010, 11:42 PM   #1

Measurements for a rack to mount a trunk on.

Does anyone have a set of measurements for something like the Wompus rack for a trunk that a person who would like to tackle the task of attempting to build one themselves? It would need to fit on the 1600 Nomad. Just thought about playing with building one to see. Anything would be appreciated.

Thanks
Butch

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-11-2010, 01:16 AM   #2

Butch, I posted some pictures over a year ago of the rack I made and had chromed. I think is was in the Nomad/Motorcycle Related Topics Board. I'll search back to try to locate them. I don't have any measurements though.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 02-11-2010, 08:23 AM   #3

Here's a link...
http://home.insightbb.com/~kpmh.010/N-TourPak.htm
I think it's a member here's web page. down at the bottom, there is links to the brackets, (he has them for a solo, and 2-up). The whole thing is a really good read too.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 02-11-2010, 11:27 PM   #4

Hey, thanks for the link. I had seen that before but couldn't find it. How did the rack work for adding a trunk behind the passenger? We have a older Venture trunk that is painted to match the bike and we need to mount it on something. I printed the measurement diagram and will see if we can work something out. I have looked at the Wompus rack but at $220 I thought maybe something could be made a little more reasonably. Maybe not though. We'll see. Again thanks for the info.

Butch

Old 02-12-2010, 06:59 AM   #5

I made my rack very much like the wompus rack but I took the Venture rack and cut it down a little and welded it on top of the rack I had made, if I had to do it again I would just make the arms and weld the Venture rack to the arms with out the top plate. The venture rack gives you a lot better mounting than a flat plate, most people mount the trunk on the wompus rack with 4 bolts the Venture has like 8 different mounting points. Here is a picture of the mount I made before I added the Venture rack.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-12-2010, 07:01 PM   #6

Thanks for the reply. I don't have one of those Venture racks just the trunk. I guess I could look for one but I think that the Venture trunks usually have a locking mechanism to lock the trunk to the rack but mine has been removed so i would guess i will need the plate on top as well. What guage metal plate did you use for the arms as well as the top plate? Still haven't decided which way I'm going to go but a friend of mine told me to get all the dimensions and measurements with a material list so to speak and we would try to build it at his place. Time will tell though. Again thanks for getting back to me and if you have any other info get back to me.

Thanks
Butch