Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 06-22-2009, 05:06 AM   #1

Fuel Management - Question?

I have been reading a lot about the different fuel modules to choose from. It seems like they always talk about Dobeck's TFI, Cobra, and the Power Commander III. Is anyone running Vance and Hines' Fuel Pak on their Nomad? I was just wondering why I haven't seen it mentioned. It looks like a good product, something in between the TFI and the PCIII. The cost is between those two as well. What opinions do you guys have on this product? I do like the idea of being able to both richen and lean depending on what is needed at different rpm ranges. I am sold on the TFI and I understand that we really just "need" to richen these bikes up, but this seems like a good choice for someone wanting more control than the TFI and don't want to buy a PCIII. Just interested to hear the feed back. RIDE SAFE!!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-22-2009, 07:06 AM   #2
Sr. Contributor

1 rider around here has that set up, and was asking about settings. He said there was 33 settings he had to make. I think this was done something like the PC III via down loads.

Most of us have TFI and or Cobra set ups. Either of these are easier than anything else, and can not forget any map, because there is no map. These fool the stock ecu.

I personally am pleased with the TFI set up, and had it on my 1500 01 which was stolen and have it now on my 06. I have read about the Cobra set up from our CJ, right here, and it seems as good as the TFI to me, with a bit less hassel.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 06-23-2009, 01:48 AM   #3

From what I have read there are up to 35 things that need to be programmed in, but you do it all by pushing buttons on the module. V&H give you the settings you "should" need when you enter in what mods have been done to your bike on there web site. I was just looking for some feed back and opinions. I was also wondering if someone had figured out what each of the 35 "modes" that you have to adjust did? Thanks in advance.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:07 PM   #4
Mega-Contributor

As Mac stated, there is only one other person that we are aware of here that has a V&H Fuelpack. Most of us use either the Cobra or Dobeck units.

If you want to be a pioneer, by all means - go with the V&H and you'll be pretty much on your own. If you want to be able to ask just about anyone here for advice - go with the Cobra or Dobeck systems.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 06-23-2009, 02:08 PM   #5
Sr. Contributor

Yes I understood there was 35 settings, but I gather the Nomad uses only 33 of them. The data is given by V&H to set it up, but with no details as to what is what and or why. That works so long as their tech and you are on the same page.

The thing is that might not be the case. I have a bad time explaining things to some guys, and other guys get it right away. I consider that to me my problem, not being able to make another guy understand what I say and mean.

The teacher is always in the wrong when that happens, but it happens. The someone like Bob steps up to the plate, and gets the matter in text clean and with no mess, and the guy who wanted the info gets it..

Now the guy asking before was into final details, and no one here could help him, because no one has this, but for maybe you if you buy it.

33 to 35 settings seems tedious to me. The ECU only needs a little help here and there mainly in low idle rpm and what might be considered an accel pump operation when you really romp it up.

So far I know of only 1 failed PC III, and it forgot who it was.. went total air head and could not recover any map and hold it.

In turn that killed the engine untill the PC II was turned OFF, and then the bike ran lean as other mods had taken place. I wasn't involved with that, but as I understand it, it took some figuring to get the idea that PC III went cold.

If anything like that occured with Cobra or TFI the bike would revert to stock ECU mode and at worst would ping just like it did new.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-24-2009, 07:31 PM   #6

I am the guy running the Vance and Hines Fuelpak; I have had some trouble with it and would NOT recomend it, it is easy to install but at the same time I installed it I did the Cadman Mod and the Ultimate baffle in my Vance and Hines Baggers, I ended up with alot of loss of power, loping and jerking, after several calls to the Fuelpak tech desk here is my experience,
When I told them about the loping they did have me change one setting that corrected some of it, that weekend I took a ride in the mountains had a major loss of power and a serious cough so I called the Tech again on Monday "cant call on the weekend when we work on our bike they are only opened from 9 to 5 MOnday thru Friday; he asked me if I was riding 1 or 2 up said it was probably cause I was riding 2 up that I lost power, I explained to him that a 1600 Nomad dont lose power with 2 up
He finally gave me a couple of more settings to try which give me power but then the loping was back, so I called back Explaind to him it was acting like I was running way to lean he said that was impossible cause the fuelpak pushed more fuel through in every phase reset one of the settings

Ok after all this headache
Here is my conclusion
When my bike was still not runnig right I pulled the tank back off to see if I could find a possible vacuum leak; NO LEAK
Fuelpak dyno test are done with stock air, or thunder air kit and a thunder air must not let as much air flow thru as what the Cadman Mod does anyway I put my stock air back on and most of my problem has went away,
It does seem to run rich enough to compensate for the ultimate baffles and my wife isnt going to be happy when I throw a $240 headache up on a shelf but my bike ran great before I started all this

Old 06-24-2009, 07:34 PM   #7

also their tech says that they cant tell us what the 33 mods are cause its not marketed as a user adjustable item

Old 06-27-2009, 02:10 PM   #8
Top Contributor

Glad I went TFI guys.