Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 07-23-2008, 10:00 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
Riding at night

Granted, the weather is generally better at night, cooler, calmer, less traffic, but I thought that it would be good to discuss the practice here before we venture into the darkness. Sorry if this has been done before but reading about others riding at night and my own recent trip motivates me to do so.

First of all the stock head light sux. I replaced mine with a 1210/H4 from Wagner. Those bulbs are listed for off road use only but as long as they are properly adjusted they will give you unparalleled visibility and will not blind oncoming traffic. My bike puts out as much light as my Bronco now and that is a good thing.

Second is speed. We really need to slow down at night because of the limited sight distance. Next time you ride your bike at night count the seconds from the time that you recognize an object in the light until you reach it and then honestly ask yourself if you could avoid an object in that amount of time. At interstate highway speeds the answer is probably "NO".

Third is visibility. When I drive at night I try to find someone in a cage traveling at the rate of speed that I want to maintain and I shadow them in the opposite lane about 6 to 8 car lengths back. Then I concentrate on watching the road in their headlights to pick out obstacles, like truck tire recaps or boards, so that I can effectively extend my field of vision by another hundred or so feet. I also watch for eyeballs beside the road (deer in the headlights). This is very intense driving and I only do it if I have too to get home.

Fourth is the most important, avoid it if at all possible. Jumping on a bike and riding all night blindly crashing through the dark on nothing more than faith is tempting fate as only a bad gambler would.

Please think about night riding and be very careful. It really takes a tremendous amount of concentration to stay out of trouble. No time to relax at all which is very exhausting.

Be safe,
Idaho (Bud)
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-23-2008, 10:43 PM   #2

Riding at night

Good info Bud, I changed out the bulb in my headlight and added a light bar. I will still not ride at night unless absoultly necessary.
I think I have ridden once at night in the year I have owned the Nomad.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 07-23-2008, 10:49 PM   #3

Riding at night

Great words here, Bud. I wish that night riding was safer. Back in high school, I used to ride my Ninja home from town to our farm many times after games, practices, etc in the dark. I'm still amazed that I never had an accident, especially considering the number of deer around here.
Summertime night riding here in North Dakota is one of the most beautiful things I have experienced in my life. I went for a ride this evening around 9:30 p.m., and the sun was about 1/3 set on the western horizon, and it was a glowing red color. I looked at it and thought of Chuck. I wish that we lived in a world that a person could have a guarantee of nothing being on the road at night, as up here at night the humidity is down, the wind isn't blowing, and the bugs aren't out much. Unfortunately, that perfect environment is never going to exist.
Thanks for sharing those tips. They are important things to consider.

PC

Old 07-23-2008, 10:59 PM   #4

Riding at night

Great reminder Idaho. I seldom ride at night and when I do it's usually work related in the brightly lit city. But it's still pretty amazing how much visibilty you lack after dark.
Outside of the city there's deer, bear and some pretty large racoons that could take you down in an instant.
Take care everyone.

Audiogooroo - Daryl Porter
Colorado Springs, CO
VBA #248
VROC #17261
1999 Grn/Grn Nomad

Old 07-24-2008, 12:11 AM   #5

Riding at night

Exactly what I 've been thinking about lately bud, but said a lot better than I could have! The last time I rode at night I left my brights on because I couldn't see good enough on low beam. To my suprise, nobody flashed me. Even then, it seems like my low beam is too low and my high beam is too high. I've had some run in with road debris at night thats caused me to reconsider my night riding practices. Granted, road debris isn't a common occurance but it only takes one good piece to ruin your day and most of it is only visible far too late.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-24-2008, 12:56 AM   #6

Riding at night

unfortunately i do a lot of night riding. i use my bike to ride to work 30 miles one way and working second shift i dont get off until its dark. it does take a lot more concentration, i too run with bright lights on and dont get flashed.
VBA #477
2007 Red and Silver Nomad (traded 4/10/2014)
2013 Blue and Black Voyager

Old 07-24-2008, 06:32 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
Riding at night

Change out your headlight to the Wagner 1210/H4 and you will be amazed at the difference. You can not run that one on high. I adjusted it up on low beam high enough to see but not high enough to blind oncoming drivers. Does make up for the pitfals of riding at night but it sure helps. Oh, some have said that that bulb runs too hot and will melt the plug on the back of the bulb, I've not had that problem. The connector on the back of the bulb is on tight so just use a small screwdriver to gently pry it off of the pins on the bulb.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 07-24-2008, 09:52 AM   #8
Top Contributor

Riding at night

Wagner1210/H4 you say, I have to check into it. I use the bike about twice a week for work which is the graveyard shift.
74,010miles
VBA #299
Her's 10 900LT 36,700

09 Bath NY.
10 Lake George NY.
11 National Maggie Valley NC.
12 Pa Wilds (Wellsboro) Pa.
14 Lincoln NH.
17 National Lake George NY.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:32 AM   #9

Riding at night

ill check into that bulb also and hopefully soon a light bar
VBA #477
2007 Red and Silver Nomad (traded 4/10/2014)
2013 Blue and Black Voyager

Old 07-24-2008, 11:51 AM   #10

Riding at night

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman
Exactly what I 've been thinking about lately bud, but said a lot better than I could have! The last time I rode at night I left my brights on because I couldn't see good enough on low beam. To my suprise, nobody flashed me. Even then, it seems like my low beam is too low and my high beam is too high. I've had some run in with road debris at night thats caused me to reconsider my night riding practices. Granted, road debris isn't a common occurance but it only takes one good piece to ruin your day and most of it is only visible far too late.
Wolfman, you might want to check you headlight aiming. On my last one it worked well on low beam, but high beam was shinning in the trees more than the road.

If you make it perfect for high beam, you'll be aimed too close for the low beam and vice versa. The best you can do is try to find a balance and be a little too close with the low, and a little too high with the high beam. Or get a different bulb and driving lights :)

Old 07-24-2008, 01:28 PM   #11
Top Contributor

Riding at night

I only drive a couple times a year in the evening. Like it was said, to many things can go wrong after lights out. Three years ago when doing an emergency run back to Lusk, WY I saw deer along the road and nearly hit a racoon who couldn't make up his mind. When looking for animals, look for the glow of their eyes. Haven't missed many with that tactic. If you see a reflection on the side of the road, it is generally an animal.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 07-24-2008, 03:56 PM   #12
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Riding at night

I've run that same bulb for over a year now Bud. 80/100 wagner 1210/H4 off road bulb. Technically illegal but my life is more valuable than "technically illegal".

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 07-24-2008, 05:03 PM   #13

Riding at night

A new bulb is in the works for me, I work afternoon shift between Sept to June, so at least half my riding is in the dark. I leave the high beam on constantly and have never been flicked at because of my not so bright light. That there should tell me something.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 07-24-2008, 06:17 PM   #14

Riding at night

I'm going to try one of those bulbs as well.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:59 PM   #15

Riding at night

I really enjoy riding at night for the reasons Idaho gave in his lead in. The 800B has a very good headlight and have done most my night time on that one. However, the travel is generally commuting where I'm familiar with the roads. Animals are an issue but again the 800 headlight is good and critter's eyes show up better at night. However, when traveling though I always plan on being done by dark, and Vicki refuses to ride at night, unless otherwise stranded I suppose, which has never happened. Really haven't been on the Nomad that much in real darkness but have noticed that the headlight was a little weak. Note to self - check out that brighter bulb. Have added extra lighting and reflectors to the backside on both bikes.