Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 03-03-2010, 05:28 PM   #1

Air filer vs Caddmann

Has anyone done a right side Caddmann conversion without doing a fuel processor? Any serious problems? I need to change air filter and the conversion is cheaper than even a stock filter. Things are a little tight right now.

"A society that gives up freedom to gain security, shall gain neither and lose both"
Rhett "BigDog" Riegel KawaNow #142
Sandi "Lil' Mutt" Riegel KawaNow #143
'18 Indian Roadmaster - Red/Black matte

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-03-2010, 05:35 PM   #2

Air filer vs Caddmann

You will need a fuel processor after doing the caddmann mod.

Have you looked at KN direct replacement filters? OEM stuff and be $$ sometimes. Actually, all the time!
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 03-03-2010, 05:45 PM   #3
Advanced Member

Air filer vs Caddmann

I wouldn't do it without a fuel proccessor I would wait till you can afford both. Just my 2cents.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:06 PM   #4
Mega-Contributor

Air filer vs Caddmann

If you have a stock exhaust system, you should be alright doing the Caddmann without a fuel processor. The reason is that the stock exhaust is restrictive and will minimize the airflow through the engine. In other words, no matter how much you open the intake, if you don't make a parallel change to the exhaust, you aren't really increasing airflow.

By the same token, putting open pipes on an engine with a restrictive intake will have little effect in performance. The key to obtaining performance is by balancing intake and exhaust modifications and utilizing a fuel processor to fine tune the whole thing.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 03-03-2010, 06:40 PM   #5
Top Contributor

Air filer vs Caddmann

Every bike is different, keep that in mind.

CJ is right on about the volume of air.

I ran mine for almost a year just like you describe (ride side with an open 9" air filter and no fuel processor) and still could not get it to ping on 93, ...so it was running plenty rich (kept an eye on the plugs too although that is not necessarily an absolute indicator)..... if I ran 87 octane and it was really hot out, I could barely hear some detonation pinging. I then put a resistor in the air temp sensor circuit and even cured the lean condition in hot weather. If things are tough now and you are wanting to open up the right side, do the resistor mod if you feel really compelled until you can get a fuel processor...the processor improves performance across the board. Like I said, all are different....i have done this on a couple of Nomads both 1500 and 1600. I know I will get some that will disagree with this....but I have done it without problem......you just need to evaluate your own bike to make sure it can handle it......bottom line..make your own decision after doing your research.

Right now to with the cooler temps the bike is going to run just a little richer anyway, no matter.

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-03-2010, 07:29 PM   #6

Air filer vs Caddmann

For those of you who may not know........ ???
Dobek gives a great big discount to all Veterans.
Just call them or e-mail them and they'll tell ya what to do. ;)

I saved over $100 buckeroos!

Old 03-03-2010, 08:27 PM   #7

Air filer vs Caddmann

Thanks all. BTW, I should have included bike info in my post, sorry.
'05 Nomad, V&H Baggers, tweaked TPS. I had done the resistor, removed it when I did the TPS adjustment.

"A society that gives up freedom to gain security, shall gain neither and lose both"
Rhett "BigDog" Riegel KawaNow #142
Sandi "Lil' Mutt" Riegel KawaNow #143
'18 Indian Roadmaster - Red/Black matte

Old 03-03-2010, 11:21 PM   #8
Advanced Member

Air filer vs Caddmann

Both of our Nomads have V&H pipes, an open air kit, and all of the pollution crap removed. We went for thousands of miles without a fuel processor, and got talked into putting a TFI on both. Big mistake for both of our Nomads, my Ruby idled like crap and Brian's was a dog for get and go. We turned the TFI's off, have gone for a few thousand more miles and both Nomads run better, get better gas mileage, and have more power. Whoever started making fuel processors decided to scare riders with FI motorcycles by telling all the horror stories about wrecking the engine so they could make more money. We feel they are an unnecessary waste of money.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:58 AM   #9
Advanced Member

Air filer vs Caddmann

If you don't do the pipes, and do the resistor trick off Gadgets site, you might get by without a processor. You could try that first and if it's still knocking, you'll have to bite the bullet. Since you live in TX, the resistor might not be enough----too hot. ???

Old 03-04-2010, 08:52 AM   #10

Air filer vs Caddmann

Why not leave it just the way it was bought????

Old 03-04-2010, 10:03 AM   #11
Mega-Contributor

Air filer vs Caddmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper
Gosh, what's the fun in doing that?

From my own experience, my bike had a horrible pinging problem and the hot summers here in Phoenix really aggravated it. My reasons for opening the intake, exhaust, and adding a fuel processor were primarily to relieve the pinging problem.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 03-04-2010, 12:00 PM   #12
Advanced Member

Air filer vs Caddmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper
Some do "bling", some do performance ! some do both !!!
I see you have done some "bling" :)

Old 03-04-2010, 08:18 PM   #13

Air filer vs Caddmann

One of my friends just removed his dobek and wants to sell it. It was on his bike for a year and a half. No problems with it at all. Upgraded to a pc3.

Also check out amazon.com for your air filter and chrome cover. The brand bought is Spectra and they have different color filters you can get. I also got the knurled knob and retaped it to 8mm looks great. For both sides it cost me like 80 bucks. If you want you only have to do one side now and the other later when you have more cake. If you want I can look up the amazon part numbers for you as well.

If your interested in the dokek let me know. I think he is looking for $75 plus shipping. I will check with him if your interested.
Jeff