Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 01-23-2008, 07:32 AM   #1

How do you plan a motorcycle trip?

When you head out on a multi day trip on your bike, how do you plan it out?

I clipped this off my response on the Rally thread, just curious how the rest of you do it?

I'm thinking about going to the Western Rally, and I'm thinking about Central. Problem is, I don't make long range plans so well.
Most of the solo trips I make are in the back of my mind stewing, then some Thursday night I start thinking I ought to go on a trip in the morning, then Friday morning I wake up and really decide to go. I call the wife and say, "hey, I'm going to go on a ride for a few days." I pack up and am gone withing the hour.

I plan the route I'm going to take by looking at an atlas and seeing if there's a way to get there that I've never been on before, come home using the same technique.

Tough to plan Rally's when that's your modus operandi.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-23-2008, 09:32 AM   #2

I am sort of the same way Dan. I might think about it a little in advance,but mostly just wing it. I get out my atlas to check routes,usually two. I make two so I can choose according to the weather.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:47 AM   #3

Five of us are planning a nine day trip the end of April. We'll decide where to meet according to the weather. Three riders are coming from Florida, one from Louisiana and one from Georgia.
There are NO PLANS on where we go from the meeting place. We'll look at a map and pick a spot and go. If something looks better on the way we'll go there. We'll try to monitor the the weather and ride where it's nice. Not having a destination means we ride at our own pace with no deadline.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:49 AM   #4

PS, This is men only , no wives or girl friends.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:54 AM   #5

Quote:
PS, This is men only , no wives or girl friends.
Wild hogs?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-23-2008, 11:28 AM   #6
Advanced Member

Get up - shower - get dressed - pick which bike I need today - Call Office inform them I won't be in for a couple of days - go to garage - open door - leave - come back when I am done!

I wish!!!

Old 01-23-2008, 11:38 AM   #7

First I go to a mapping site like MapQuest or Rand McNally and punch in my starting point and destination. I like to see the distance overall. Then I modify the route to where I want to go. I do this by photocopying the map and then highlighting my route with one of those orange see through markers. I do it on a photocopy as this is a lot cheaper than buying a new map each time and I have the copys to refer to in the future to see some of the trips I have taken.
I make a different route for the return trip as I don't like to backtrack on the bike. I like new scenery.
I tape a smaller piece of paper to the photocopy with the route numbers on where I want to turn. Give the whole thing to Cindy and she lets me know the next route number I should be looking for.
Here is what I am talking about. This is highlighted in blue but you get the idea.

VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 01-23-2008, 11:49 AM   #8

If I go with my wife.........then I need VERY careful planning and packing. I usually plan the route and get the bike ready. She's awesome at packing ten tons of sh-t in a one ton suitcase. works good that way.
If it were me, alone, I'd only want to know which direction on the compass I'd want to leave towards.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:01 PM   #9

Quote:
First I go to a mapping site like MapQuest or Rand McNally and punch in my starting point and destination. I like to see the distance overall. Then I modify the route to where I want to go. I do this by photocopying the map and then highlighting my route with one of those orange see through markers. I do it on a photocopy as this is a lot cheaper than buying a new map each time and I have the copys to refer to in the future to see some of the trips I have taken.
I make a different route for the return trip as I don't like to backtrack on the bike. I like new scenery.
I tape a smaller piece of paper to the photocopy with the route numbers on where I want to turn. Give the whole thing to Cindy and she lets me know the next route number I should be looking for.
Here is what I am talking about. This is highlighted in blue but you get the idea.
I have a variation of that. When I went on a multi state trip, I stopped at the welcome centers near the boarders and got a map, folded it in such a way that the route I wanted was shown in small sections and pulled it out when needed.

Other times, with no maps, I look at an atlas and write on a sticky note what routes I'm after. For example:

1-15
hwy 89
hwy 12
hwy 20

Etc.

I never know where I am, or how far before the next turn, but I can look at the sticky note (use extra tape) on the gas tank and know what junction I'm after next.

It would be interesting to use GPS and always know where you're at :)

Old 01-23-2008, 04:31 PM   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to jussmatt

So far I haven't take any long trips...but I'm one of those who lives by Google Earth & Virtual Earth. I like the sites because I can get satalite images from them to help plan out a trip. I've got a pretty good internal compass, so I'm not afraid to take some detours from time to time. I print out the maps and make high lights on what might interest me and just go. As for packing... After moving around for most of my life, I'm kind of like flightdoc's wife... I can create a good blivet (10lbs of crap in a 5lbs box). I've been accused of being a boy scout and Macguyver all rolled in one. ( I'm sure I'll get crap for that comment..but oh well) One of the great things I love about the Nomad is it's storage space. In my bags, I keep a good set of tools, flashlight, water, tire repair kit, and rain gear. Besides that...it's all seasonal w/ gloves, masks, and jackets. Of course, I check the bike out very thouroghly before I go anywhere to make sure oil, tire pressure, and overall mechanics are in fine working order.

Old 01-23-2008, 04:41 PM   #11

Great tips for trip planning and distance riding from the Iron Butt people:

http://www.ironbutt.com/tech/aowprintout.cfm

Old 01-23-2008, 05:00 PM   #12

Thanks for the link MrFuni.... I use Microsoft Streets & Trips to map out a ride. The "Turn-by-Turn" features allows you have blowups of each segment. I find the planning a run part of the run.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:52 PM   #13

I second the Microsoft Streets & Trips. It is one of the best planning tools I have for day trips or multi-day trips. I always make and take several maps that have different levels of detail. Nice for explaining the routes to other members of the ride. Once on the road I use my Garmin to make sure I stay on the right road, since the names on maps are not always the same names you find on street signs when you get to small towns.
I also have a packing and planning list I use to make sure I pack and plan all the items I need for a trip. I have a terrible memory, so lists are a necessity for me.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:00 PM   #14

::) ::) ::) Yep just what I do, except I don't call anybody, unless its to invite them along. ::)
Quote:
Get up - shower - get dressed - pick which bike I need today - Call Office inform them I won't be in for a couple of days - go to garage - open door - leave - come back when I am done!

I wish!!!

Old 02-21-2008, 10:26 PM   #15

I wear out an Atlas almost every year. I have been looking at maps for the Coo's Bay trip since last September. I also check different state web sites looking for things to see or do. Finially I set a route but do not carve it in stone. Pick possible locations for motels, etc., noting milage between them but again carve nothing in stone. I usually try to travel around 400 miles per day but that might very 200 miles either way depending what I find or layout on the route. We also have a complete check list of what to take on a trip in the computer. We just print it out, go down the list and can be packed in 30 minutes for several days on the road.