Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 09-07-2016, 02:11 PM   #1

Question Question about 1700 and fork oil/progressive springsq

I am going to change my fork oil this fall (and change to a tapered steering bearing, plus get Gary's fork brace).

Who (with a 1700) has used a higher weight fork oil (15W, 20W, or blended) with the OEM springs and at some point changed to progressive springs? Were the new springs really worth the cost or did the change in fork oil weight help nearly as much? What weight oil did you use with the progressives?

I have put higher weight fork oil in on another bike and it was like getting a new front end. Never used progressive springs, though.

Thankya, thankya vera much!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-07-2016, 02:23 PM   #2
Top Contributor

Why do you feel it necessary to change the springs ?

Old 09-08-2016, 04:45 AM   #3

I changed the oil to 15W and put progressive springs in my 800, then did the same thing again (oil & springs) to my Nomad. Progressive springs improved both those bikes significantly. As a first step for the Voyager, I just changed out the oil both ends for 15W Belray.

A little down the track, and not entirely happy with just the oil change, I thought I'd seek some professional advice from a local bike shock shop (recognized as the industry leader in this country). I learned that apparently Progressively wound springs are a bit passé nowadays. Properly tuned emulators are where it's at in modern times.

So that's the route I took, and it's the only time since I've had this bike I've let someone else do any work on it... Race Tech springs and emulators up front, a set of Öhlins shocks down the back, and at around the same time Ivan's reflashed ECU in between them. It's like having a whole new bike at a fraction of whole new bike price, and the improvement in comfort & handling is far, far better than my own efforts on those previous bikes.

I thought (hoped) I might get away with just replacing the shocks, to begin with. But as soon as the Öhlins shocks went on there, they highlighted the short-comings in the front end badly. With the Race-Tech stuff in the forks, both ends match perfectly.

Garry's fork brace is the one thing left that I'd like to try, although it's hard to see how the handling could really be much improved over how it is now.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Last edited by Peg; 09-08-2016 at 04:58 AM.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:11 AM   #4

redjay- Because the suspension on these bikes, like most cruiser/tour bikes, sucks. I don't know how Kawasaki did it, but somehow they have designed and built a suspension that is bosh floppy and harsh.
Thunder Mfg Prototype Hi Performance Kit Rev 2
109 cid
Klockwerks Windshield
Corbin Young Gun
Throttle Mod
Freedom Performance 2-1
Roarin Toyz Intake
PCV with AutoTune
Ivanized ECU

Old 09-08-2016, 11:33 AM   #5
Top Contributor

I never found the forks on my Voyager to be floppy and harsh.
The forks on my Nomad were harsh, the Voyager was way better.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-08-2016, 01:05 PM   #6
Advanced Member

Kinda like Brute by Faberge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Dragon View Post
redjay- I don't know how Kawasaki did it, but somehow they have designed and built a suspension that is bosh floppy and harsh.

Old 09-08-2016, 01:15 PM   #7

I asked the same question a few days ago on the 1700 page. The responses I got said to try a heaver oil first. Then decide if you need springs. I was looking at Traxxion or Race Tech. springs.

Old 09-08-2016, 04:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjack View Post
kinda like brute by faberge
haahahahaha!
Thunder Mfg Prototype Hi Performance Kit Rev 2
109 cid
Klockwerks Windshield
Corbin Young Gun
Throttle Mod
Freedom Performance 2-1
Roarin Toyz Intake
PCV with AutoTune
Ivanized ECU

Old 09-08-2016, 04:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
Why do you feel it necessary to change the springs ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Dragon View Post
redjay- Because the suspension on these bikes, like most cruiser/tour bikes, sucks. I don't know how Kawasaki did it, but somehow they have designed and built a suspension that is bosh floppy and harsh.
What GD said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Y View Post
I asked the same question a few days ago on the 1700 page. The responses I got said to try a heaver oil first. Then decide if you need springs. I was looking at Traxxion or Race Tech. springs.
Thanks!

Old 09-08-2016, 04:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg View Post
I changed the oil to 15W and put progressive springs in my 800, then did the same thing again (oil & springs) to my Nomad. Progressive springs improved both those bikes significantly. As a first step for the Voyager, I just changed out the oil both ends for 15W Belray.

A little down the track, and not entirely happy with just the oil change, I thought I'd seek some professional advice from a local bike shock shop (recognized as the industry leader in this country). I learned that apparently Progressively wound springs are a bit passé nowadays. Properly tuned emulators are where it's at in modern times.

So that's the route I took, and it's the only time since I've had this bike I've let someone else do any work on it... Race Tech springs and emulators up front, a set of Öhlins shocks down the back, and at around the same time Ivan's reflashed ECU in between them. It's like having a whole new bike at a fraction of whole new bike price, and the improvement in comfort & handling is far, far better than my own efforts on those previous bikes.

I thought (hoped) I might get away with just replacing the shocks, to begin with. But as soon as the Öhlins shocks went on there, they highlighted the short-comings in the front end badly. With the Race-Tech stuff in the forks, both ends match perfectly.

Garry's fork brace is the one thing left that I'd like to try, although it's hard to see how the handling could really be much improved over how it is now.
Since I'm already planning on getting the fork brace, I may be able to afford the springs, but the emulator is out of reach for now. I guess this year will just be changing to a heavier oil.

Old 09-10-2016, 01:09 AM   #11

I went to the Race Tech website and looked at the emulator, etc. Do you need ALL the stuff they list, totaling over $500.00?

Old 09-10-2016, 11:33 AM   #12
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn54 View Post
I went to the Race Tech website and looked at the emulator, etc. Do you need ALL the stuff they list, totaling over $500.00?

I have a 2011 vaquero.

I don't know what you were looking at on their website, but when I talked to them I was instructed to order the springs and emulators. Right at $300.00 total.

When I talked to them I was informed they didn't have any information on the Vaquero, only the Voyager. So I did a part number comparison and they are both the same forks and springs.

What I didn't look at was the weight of the skoots. The Voyager is about 60 pounds heavier.

My body weight dripping wet is about 183 pounds. They are going to ask this question to calculate the spring rate.

I was told a .95 spring rate was what I needed.

After all was said and done the front end is better but not where I want it to be. When I gave them the information on the different skoot weights and the measurements on the fork sag, the fork springs are to stiff.

I should have ordered a .80 or a .85 spring rate.

Here is a like that might shed some light on oils and why some work better than others. Looks like the wt rating is not the same for all oils.

Hope this helps

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Old 09-11-2016, 12:14 AM   #13

Thanks Snake. That helps a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Ranch View Post
I have a 2011 vaquero.

I don't know what you were looking at on their website, but when I talked to them I was instructed to order the springs and emulators. Right at $300.00 total.

When I talked to them I was informed they didn't have any information on the Vaquero, only the Voyager. So I did a part number comparison and they are both the same forks and springs.

What I didn't look at was the weight of the skoots. The Voyager is about 60 pounds heavier.

My body weight dripping wet is about 183 pounds. They are going to ask this question to calculate the spring rate.

I was told a .95 spring rate was what I needed.

After all was said and done the front end is better but not where I want it to be. When I gave them the information on the different skoot weights and the measurements on the fork sag, the fork springs are to stiff.

I should have ordered a .80 or a .85 spring rate.

Here is a like that might shed some light on oils and why some work better than others. Looks like the wt rating is not the same for all oils.

Hope this helps

Old 09-11-2016, 12:45 AM   #14
Advanced Member

Missing link for fork oil weights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn54 View Post
Thanks Snake. That helps a lot.
Guess I was in to big of a hurry. I forgot to put the web link for the oil weight issues I was referring to.

So without any more delay,

http://www.peterverdone.com/archive/lowspeed.htm

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Old 09-11-2016, 10:29 AM   #15
Advanced Member

This is link I think they meant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Ranch View Post
Guess I was in to big of a hurry. I forgot to put the web link for the oil weight issues I was referring to.

So without any more delay,

Tags
fork oil, fork springs, forks, maintenance