Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 02-21-2009, 11:05 AM   #1
Advanced Member

Fairing Project

hey all, i am looking for some input from some of you that have gone with a batwing fairing on your nomad. i would like to build my own brackets ( im cheap) . also what guages did you install on your fairing and what did you do with left over holes on the inner, that you didnt fill. i bought a 2004 harley batwing fairing off of craiglist for $50. has both outer and inner shell, with just a small, very fixable, rub on one side of the outer. any advice would be appreciated .

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-21-2009, 03:32 PM   #2
Advanced Member

Fairing Project

I got a radio caddy from the trike shop

Old 02-21-2009, 09:10 PM   #3

Fairing Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf
hey all, i am looking for some input from some of you that have gone with a batwing fairing on your nomad. i would like to build my own brackets ( im cheap) . also what guages did you install on your fairing and what did you do with left over holes on the inner, that you didnt fill. i bought a 2004 harley batwing fairing off of craiglist for $50. has both outer and inner shell, with just a small, very fixable, rub on one side of the outer. any advice would be appreciated .
Sounds like you got a great deal. I'm on the lookout for similar.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:40 PM   #4

Fairing Project

I only used the outer

Old 02-22-2009, 08:55 PM   #5

Fairing Project

My fairing is a "Premeux", and as of now, the only gauge I have mounted in it is a tach. I also have switches for the driving lights and a head light modulator.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-22-2009, 09:29 PM   #6

Fairing Project

I recently added a HD fairing. I made my own brackets based loosely on information from these two web sites -

http://www.gadgetjq.com/adapthdfairingtonomad.htm

http://nomad.eurekaboy.com/

I plan to add a full set of guages eventually, but for now I just cut pieces of plastic to fit the openings, painted them black and stuck them in with black silicone.

Here are links to a couple of threads with pics of my installation -

http://kawanow.proboards77.com/index...ad=8544&page=1

http://kawanow.proboards77.com/index...ad=8786&page=1

Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll try to help. It wasn't really too hard but takes a bit of trial and error to get it right.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:51 PM   #7

Fairing Project

I used the 96 and newer HD batwing w/inner. Installed a sony stereo with 4 polk audio speakers, 4-way flashers, acc. plug, garage door opener, and a off and on switch for the stereo for when the bike is shut off.
Made my own brackets as well and had them chrome plated. Didn't add gauges, but now I just might as I seen some at auto zone today for 40.00 bucks for all three temp / oil pressure / volts.
Really like the fairing and if you are up for some work you can save some money going this route and also makes you feel good that you did it yourself.
2010 Voyager (Blue/Silver)sold
2001 Nomad (gone, but not forgotten)

www.chucksterscustoms.com

Old 02-23-2009, 10:12 AM   #8
Advanced Member

Fairing Project

thanks for the info!! scotty, great links, especially from eurekaboy! has anyone had any issues with light bar? i hav a cobra installed now, and really dont want to loose it. any ball park figures on the price to get fairing painted?

Old 02-23-2009, 06:39 PM   #9

Fairing Project

I had to make an adapter to move my lightbar forward a couple inches. As far as painting, I had my fairing, tour pak and luggage rack all done at the same time, along with a small amount of repair work. The fairing and tour pak are both 2 tone to match the bike and just a single color on the rack. Total was $400.

Old 02-28-2009, 03:39 AM   #10

Fairing Project

I am doing an outer only and I'm currently awaiting Lee Sido's brackets. He should have them done shortly. If you time it right he can have them made for you. Just let him know ahead of time. I think for $125.00 the quality of his brackets are worth the dough. I chose to do an outer only simply because I'm not a "gaugy" guy and I didn't really want to wire in a stereo and speakers. Not to mention I'm not that keen on having all the weight on forks that were not designed for it.