Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 03-13-2018, 08:41 AM   #1

Heavy Bike

I didn't realize just how heavy these bikes are until I tried to drive up my long driveway. I live in the country and my driveway is gravel and dirt. It is a circle drive and uphill, pretty steep. Between the loose gravel and slippery grass on the sides I am doomed! When it rains I wont have a chance.

I am not going to pave my quarter mile long drive, so I am working on other ideas. I am thinking the solution will be to build a shed at the bottom of my drive to keep it in when it rains.

Nothing like the feeling of sliding down a hill backwards on an 800 plus pound motorcycle!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-13-2018, 11:48 AM   #2

If you think its heavy now, just wait until you drop it and have to pick it back up. BTW - there are only two types of riders - those who have already dropped their bikes and those who are going to drop theirs. :).

Old 03-13-2018, 02:22 PM   #3

Sponds is right, might was well lay it on over a few times and pratice getting her up.....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Old 03-14-2018, 08:44 AM   #4

Yep. Good stimulus to stay in shape!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Old 03-14-2018, 10:48 AM   #5
Advanced Member

Yes, steep gravel or crushed rock driveways can be difficult. I've got somewhat the same situation only not as bad. The front of my shop is 3/4in- with backing out and turning around difficult. I've got a slight slope off to the the right which gives me excellent drainage but it doesn't help with the maneuvering process. I'm going to extend the crushed rock about 150 feet to the road and have it packed down.

A friend down the street has a beautiful 5 acre plot with a turn of the 20th century home sitting in the middle of it. The problem is that it's a fairly steep climb up a gravel road to the property and going downhill when departing is a real white knuckle job. My off road sidecar rig even slid once when I was departing.

I have two heavy bikes, the Nomad and a Triumph Rocket 3 Touring, and it doesn't get any easier as I get older. Love 'em out on the highway though.

Another friend has a similar situation but with the steep gravel road serving 4 residences. One of his neighbors dumped a load of river (round rock) on the road near the bottom just before my friend's annual motorcycle BBQ and party. I slide around going up and several of us almost went down as we departed. Not fun.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by Navigator; 03-18-2018 at 12:37 PM.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:14 AM   #6

My brother has a similar drive (northern Colorado Rockies) and I had problems the last time I had my Vulcan up there (I couldn't pick it back up by myself). My remedy was to get a Kawasaki Versys 650 LT. Works good now, and I found out that I can pick it up by myself (ran into an ice storm while riding).

Old 03-14-2018, 11:51 AM   #7

I'm glad to hear I am not the only one! I have ridden motorcycles my whole life, but never one this heavy. First time I have ever had this problem. It is great on the highway though!

Old 03-14-2018, 11:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
Yes, steep gravel or crushed rock driveways can be difficult. I've got somewhat the same situation only not as bad. The front of my shop is 3/4in- with backing out and turning around difficult. I've got a slight slope off to the the right which gives me excellent drainage but it doesn't help with the maneuvering process. I'm going to extend the crushed rock about 150 feet to the road and have it packed down.

A friend down the street has a beautiful 5 acre plot with a turn of the 20th century home sitting in the middle of it. The problem is that it's a fairly steep climb up a gravel road to the property with going down when departing a real white knuckle job at times. I have two heavy bikes, the Nomad and a Triumph Rocket 3 Touring, it doesn't get any easier as I get older. Love 'em out on the highway though.

Another friend has a similar situation but with the steep gravel road serving 4 residences. One of his neighbors dumped a load of river (round rock) on the road near the bottom just before my friend's annual motorcycle BBQ and party. I slide around going up and several of us almost went down as we departed. Not fun.

How do you like that Triumph Rocket 3 Touring? I have always wanted one.

Old 03-15-2018, 01:25 PM   #9
Sr. Contributor

With a driveway like that I would put some crushed rock down and cover it with staymat.I would then make 2'X4' boxes of 1"X1" wood rectangles right up the middle and fill with concrete, then level off the staymat to be the same height. Just thinking.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 03-16-2018, 09:43 AM   #10

or, as I taught in MSF, choose the lowest gear you can before beginning the ascent. Avoid using the clutch to control your speed once you are underway. Just maintain forward momentum. Keep engine RPMs a bit higher to utilize the rotating mass of the engine to add stability. Lightly ride the back brake. Same technique as ultra low speed maneuvering.

Excellent book, and this suggestion is included in the book "Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well [David L. Hough]" Check AMAZON.

I have read through the book dozens of times, plus my time with MSF, and ridden for 40 years. "down" once when I was 17. "dropped" the bike once in the street in front of my house.

Gravel drives and roads, and grocery store parking lots are still the worst.

Old 03-17-2018, 12:22 AM   #11

Weeeeeell, a cousin lives over in B'ham, Al.....He has a very steep gravel driveway. Just bought a customized Street Glide. Went over for a visit....Nomad had same problem, it just wallowed in the gravel trying to go uphill.
Over to the side, toward the edge, we got about 12 to 15 bags of quickcrete.
We then poured (quickcrete) over a patch of rocks right after it rained, about the width of a bag, over the rocks & gravel, just ripped open the bag, poured it over the rocks, smoothed the top with a broom, got a sprayer full of water and wetted it, let it dry a few days.
He added a few more bags to the start and at the end of his driveway.....added some more over the gravel....added just a touch of glow-in-the-dark dye/coloring like the watch hands have, so he can hit the correct path at night.....just rides on the hard part, over to the edge of driveway.
No problem since....plenty of traction....
Looks kinda funky at night....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Last edited by DragonLady58; 03-17-2018 at 12:31 AM.

Old 03-18-2018, 11:14 AM   #12
Advanced Member

A Simple Solution Ideas

It would be great to post a general close up picture of an existing driveway condition.

1. buy several pairs of rubber boots and steel rakes. (friends needed)
2. order 8yds of concrete. (really wet mix)
3. have driver add more water to almost a slurry type of mix.
4. lower chute really low and get driver in truck.
5. have him drive slowly down and just pour a small width all the way down to main road.
6. just pour really thin and do not worry about smoothing out like a finished driveway.

it's a quick easy fix but will cost your about $1,000

the slurry mix seeps into what rock you have

I did this on my last home using the trucks wash outs and several yds of left over concrete.
worked great !

Since it was thin it worked its way under the rock giving me more stability vs. that uncomfortable feeling which we all dislike when riding in gravel.

The kicker would be if you live near a concrete plant as you could rope them into bringing left over pours and washing out on your drive way.

just a thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklee4570 View Post
I didn't realize just how heavy these bikes are until I tried to drive up my long driveway. I live in the country and my driveway is gravel and dirt. It is a circle drive and uphill, pretty steep. Between the loose gravel and slippery grass on the sides I am doomed! When it rains I wont have a chance.

I am not going to pave my quarter mile long drive, so I am working on other ideas. I am thinking the solution will be to build a shed at the bottom of my drive to keep it in when it rains.

Nothing like the feeling of sliding down a hill backwards on an 800 plus pound motorcycle!

Old 03-18-2018, 12:42 PM   #13
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklee4570 View Post
How do you like that Triumph Rocket 3 Touring? I have always wanted one.
Just saw this. I really like it with it being very different from the Rocket 3 Classic I had previously. It's this big mass of torque and horsepower and with the three cylinder, extremely smooth. I've added performance mufflers and had a new tune downloaded which over rides the factory "detune". The two tone blue is stunning and probably the most beautiful bike I've ever owned. It's a real head turner but I still love riding my Nomad. Completely different bikes with their own character.