Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 07-07-2008, 11:26 AM   #1

About to take MSF course/test

Hi Guys + Gals,

I am taking my MSF course + test this weekend, It is 5 hours on Saturday and 3 on Sunday. I wasn't really concerned about it as I use to ride alot when I was younger (biggest bike was a Honda CB750k). I am 49 and did have a pretty large/powerful(Honda XR400) dirt bike last year. I bought my Nad a month ago. I got my permit at the same time and have been riding every chance I get and feel pretty comfortable with it (that may be a dangerous thing!).

But then I read TKD's thread about his experience after the course...how he didn't want to ride and the Nad was too big. Made me wonder what the heck they do at the course and do they expect me to do the same things on my Nad that someone on a 250 can do? Maybe a bigger concern is....I don't want to dump + damage my beautiful bike! I am taking the intermediate course...does anyone have any input on what I should expect?

I truly respect the danger involved and don't drink before I drive (but too much afterward), drive defensively, try to anticipate, no longer a speed demon (too old + too wise), very aware of things ahead, to the side, and in front of me. I stay away from semi trucks, loose loads, and women in mini vans w/cell phones + screaming kids.
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-07-2008, 11:54 AM   #2
Mega-Contributor

If it's the Basic Rider Course you're taking, there's nothing to fear. You presumably took some sort of test to obtain your drivers license? This is not as stressful, and you aren't 16, which makes a big difference.

I thought all these courses were the same format. Probably not time/date wise, but the content should be the same, no? Classroom/written test, riding course/skills test? Mine took place over 3 days: classroom and written test Friday night. 4 hours on the skills course Saturday morning, 4 hours on skills course Sunday morning, ending with the skills test.

Good luck with the class.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 07-07-2008, 11:54 AM   #3

Schoeney,

I certainly didn't mean to cause you stress. My issues on the test were not skill related, they were poor mental judgement after a very long 2 days of class--plain and simple. After 24 hours to decompress I have realized a few things.

1. 90% of the anxiety I felt on the Nomad during the ride home wasn't there on the way to the course and the anxiety curve diminshed with each mile home. It was only after I got off of the little bike and jumped directly onto my bike. 350lbs vs nearly 800 and 250cc vs 1600 is a huge difference. It's like going from driving a Smartcar to an 18 wheeler. It's amazing how fast you get used something.

2. I had been on the bike for 8 hours in 90+ degree weather and was exhausted at test time. I learned first hand just how much fatigue and the elements play in decision and judgment. As I stated, if I would have taken the test earlier in the day when I was fresh, I would have probably done much much better. If I went to take it right now, I would do much better.

The test itself is not difficult and they don't ask you to perform magic. If you follow the techniques, you will be fine. Looking back I know exactly what I did. Not enough front brake on the stop, although I still stopped in the alloted distance and the roll on throttle curve. I hesitated for just a second. Those were the 2 things that made me drop points. The swerve was perfect as was the U-turn box.

My wife had a much more difficult time but she had never been on a bike until the day before and she passed as did 3 other riders with the same experience. Honestly, I am not ready to take the test on a Nomad BUT I do know the dimensions of the test and what is expected so I will be in parking lots with cones learning my bike and I will re-test myself on the Nomad and I will pass it to my standards.

If you can ride and use good judgment and technique, you should be able to pass without any issues. I passed, but I know I am better than my score and I will continue to ride and learn the Nomad and I may never beat the Nomad's size and weight, but I know I can learn to manage the size, weight and power because I already respect it.

The Nomad is staying in the garage. I guess y'all are stuck with me.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:04 PM   #4

We're glad to be stuck with you. Good decision....Take care.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 07-07-2008, 12:12 PM   #5
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkd
Schoeney,

I certainly didn't mean to cause you stress. My issues on the test were not skill related, they were poor mental judgement after a very long 2 days of class--plain and simple. After 24 hours to decompress I have realized a few things.

1. 90% of the anxiety I felt on the Nomad during the ride home wasn't there on the way to the course and the anxiety curve diminshed with each mile home. It was only after I got off of the little bike and jumped directly onto my bike. 350lbs vs nearly 800 and 250cc vs 1600 is a huge difference. It's like going from driving a Smartcar to an 18 wheeler. It's amazing how fast you get used something.

2. I had been on the bike for 8 hours in 90+ degree weather and was exhausted at test time. I learned first hand just how much fatigue and the elements play in decision and judgment. As I stated, if I would have taken the test earlier in the day when I was fresh, I would have probably done much much better. If I went to take it right now, I would do much better.

The test itself is not difficult and they don't ask you to perform magic. If you follow the techniques, you will be fine. Looking back I know exactly what I did. Not enough front brake on the stop, although I still stopped in the alloted distance and the roll on throttle curve. I hesitated for just a second. Those were the 2 things that made me drop points. The swerve was perfect as was the U-turn box.

My wife had a much more difficult time but she had never been on a bike until the day before and she passed as did 3 other riders with the same experience. Honestly, I am not ready to take the test on a Nomad BUT I do know the dimensions of the test and what is expected so I will be in parking lots with cones learning my bike and I will re-test myself on the Nomad and I will pass it to my standards.

If you can ride and use good judgment and technique, you should be able to pass without any issues. I passed, but I know I am better than my score and I will continue to ride and learn the Nomad and I may never beat the Nomad's size and weight, but I know I can learn to manage the size, weight and power because I already respect it.

The Nomad is staying in the garage. I guess y'all are stuck with me.

Good for you! I'm glad you decided to give it some time and not make a rash decision. We don't mind being "stuck" with you.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-07-2008, 05:13 PM   #6

Thanks for the feedbak TKD. I can't say I am stressed, just more curious since you shared your experience. Just want to be prepared. probably the best thing is to just practice, practice, practice until I take the course. Just not sure what I should practice....the type of parking lot maneauvers. Glad to hear you are staying with the Nomad....seems like a great bunch of people that know how to have fun and share info.
VBA #659

Old 07-07-2008, 07:55 PM   #7

Sent you a pm, but as I re-read your post, not sure it will help on the itermediate.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:19 PM   #8
Sr. Contributor

I find in riding there are good days and bad days. On the bad days you just go home. If you can't you ride like a cager ...slow. err well once they did..

Some of my buddies have bad days... One a pretty good rider, maybe better than me, backed
his HD low rider over the paved area at a bad gas station and damn near dropped his bike. We just went into training wheels days for the rest of the ride..

What ever it was we remain friends.. For as long time I refused to ride on May 10th any year because i damn near was killed that day in 79' by a drunk.

Thar's just them days.... TKD There was a time when the Nomad seemed mighty big and sort of too big to stop. Oh boy could I feel that weight. I had come off a 1981 Yammi triple in 850.

AND and I DO mean AND, if you are riding on stones.... Well thats a real good way to learn to not trust the rubber.. Get them off and discover what the real Nomad IS.....

If you doubt these words go buy a new Makita saw.. it too comes with the worst possible blade.. Blame the bean counters.

How do I know this.. Well on May 26 05 I bought a 1500 Nomad and rode it to Cal with my wife and a trailer over all weight on the trailer was apx 300 pounds..

Not once did I trust the feel of the bike. No sooner than a set of decent Metzlers went on it was like a whole new machine. I still had my wife and i still had the trailer. A new bike and one that handled..

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 07-07-2008, 08:54 PM   #9

The course itself is a very good one. If your rider coaches are good, your apprehension will leave you and you will gain confidence in your abilities to ride. The transfer from the little 250 to the big Nomad will be one that you will notice immediately both good and bad. You will see how to do things better and also things that need to be vastly improved on your first ride.

Just get all your gear, load up in the cage, go to the class and have some fun.
2003 BMW K1200LT "Magic Carpet" DOA 11/7/2015
VBA #00291
IBA # 41995
DS #320
'08 Elkins, WV; '09 Helen, GA; '09 Custer, SD; '10 Stanton, VA; '11 Maggie Valley; '12 Townsend, TN; '13 Estes Park; '13 Blairsville, GA; '15 Eureka Springs; '16 Helen; '18 Custer, SD

Old 07-07-2008, 11:16 PM   #10

Actually I am using the Nad on the course..it is the intermediate class, you bring your own bike. Thanks everyone for the input!
VBA #659

Old 07-07-2008, 11:35 PM   #11

Greetings from Baton Rouge, LA. Don't sweat the MSF Basic course. Just relax, pay attention, and you'll do fine. I was very nervous before I took my course, but after the first 30 min to an hour, I loosened up, and really enjoyed it. Have fun and enjoy it. You'll learn a lot.

P.S. If you can get your hands on some of the Ride Like A Pro videos, they can be a big help, and a good reference.