Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rides/Trip Reports/Travel Information

Old 04-05-2013, 12:05 AM   #1

Tips for SS 1000?

So thinking about doing a SS1000 on the way out to Colorado. Family in Des Moines which is 1180 miles or so from here so right on the way. It's a straight shot on route 90 for 800 miles or so. I did same ride for 735 miles in one day last year. That was on old bike with vicious headwind where my gas light was coming on every 90 miles, no cruise, no tunes, stock seat. Even when wind stopped, the 4 carbs had me stopping often for gas.

Riding solo this year so can rest when I want and no-one is pushing me or holding me up. Vaq has much better range and new Mustang seat w/driver backrest should help too.

Once the temp gets above 45 consistenly, will start doing 500-600 mile rides on Sundays to get the butt/back in shape.

Any thoughts or suggestions for a first timer attempting this?
VBA #2354

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-05-2013, 07:32 PM   #2
Top Contributor

Work up to it, get some good rest beforehand and don't feel bad if you don't make the entire 1k miles.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 04-06-2013, 05:14 PM   #3

The ride time and distance start with departure receipt, so keep that time in mind. What is your safe range for your fuel? That will dictate the number of stops. The more stops you have to make, the longer the ride will be on the clock. Let's say you are at 170 miles as max range at interstate speed (75 mph, so you don't get run over). You will be stopping ever 2:30 and have a total of a 6 times before the end receipt, total of 7 stops. How you manage those stops for time will also add to your total time spent on the road. Using 15 minutes per stop (that is getting off interstate, pulling in to station, taking care of things and getting back to riding speed), which is pretty quick, that will add another 1:30 minutes. You are around 19 hours total time to cover your trip. You can get your end receipt at your 6th stop because you'll be over 1K in mileage (keep in mind that your odo is not accurate and give yourself some cushion in mileage).

The ride isn't that difficult if you manage your stops. Ride within your limits of comfort. If you get out and do some longer rides as you suggest, that will get you physically and mentally ready. Try to start your ride near your normal wake up time too. Getting too far off your normal schedule can cause issues for you. Visit the IBA site, www.ironbutt.com, and then click on Tech House. Once there, look at the archives of wisdom...a lot of good information there.

Good luck on your ride and hope to meet you at the National.
2003 BMW K1200LT "Magic Carpet" DOA 11/7/2015
VBA #00291
IBA # 41995
DS #320
'08 Elkins, WV; '09 Helen, GA; '09 Custer, SD; '10 Stanton, VA; '11 Maggie Valley; '12 Townsend, TN; '13 Estes Park; '13 Blairsville, GA; '15 Eureka Springs; '16 Helen; '18 Custer, SD

Old 04-08-2013, 05:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by coacha View Post
The ride time and distance start with departure receipt, so keep that time in mind. What is your safe range for your fuel? That will dictate the number of stops. The more stops you have to make, the longer the ride will be on the clock. Let's say you are at 170 miles as max range at interstate speed (75 mph, so you don't get run over). You will be stopping ever 2:30 and have a total of a 6 times before the end receipt, total of 7 stops. How you manage those stops for time will also add to your total time spent on the road. Using 15 minutes per stop (that is getting off interstate, pulling in to station, taking care of things and getting back to riding speed), which is pretty quick, that will add another 1:30 minutes. You are around 19 hours total time to cover your trip. You can get your end receipt at your 6th stop because you'll be over 1K in mileage (keep in mind that your odo is not accurate and give yourself some cushion in mileage).

The ride isn't that difficult if you manage your stops. Ride within your limits of comfort. If you get out and do some longer rides as you suggest, that will get you physically and mentally ready. Try to start your ride near your normal wake up time too. Getting too far off your normal schedule can cause issues for you. Visit the IBA site, www.ironbutt.com, and then click on Tech House. Once there, look at the archives of wisdom...a lot of good information there.

Good luck on your ride and hope to meet you at the National.
I'm actually not sure of highway mileage - only 1600 miles so far on Vaquero. But 170 is probably good conservative estimate. My problem is I get all hyped up for these trips and leave at like 4:00. Can't wait to hit the road! I've been on IBA Site but will check out the area you mentioned. Most stops will be right on turnpike so 15 min is easy with some brief stretching. Thanks for the advice and see you in Colorado!
VBA #2354

Old 04-08-2013, 08:43 PM   #5

A nice tip for the receipts is to take a pen/sharpie, put it in a zip lock bag. On each stop, make sure you have the location of the station (City, ST, Zip) and time on the receipt. ON the top of the receipt write your mileage. That way you can simplify the log sheet when you fill it out AFTER the ride. Saves some time during the ride. Put all your receipts in the bag, seal it and put it back in the same place after each stop.

Another thing to remember, if you stop for longer than about 20 minutes, make sure you note the reason on your log. Gotta account for all the hours :)

Safe travels and enjoy the ride. If at any time you don't think you can finish, stop the ride. No shame in an aborted attempt. I'm sure you'll gitter done!
2003 BMW K1200LT "Magic Carpet" DOA 11/7/2015
VBA #00291
IBA # 41995
DS #320
'08 Elkins, WV; '09 Helen, GA; '09 Custer, SD; '10 Stanton, VA; '11 Maggie Valley; '12 Townsend, TN; '13 Estes Park; '13 Blairsville, GA; '15 Eureka Springs; '16 Helen; '18 Custer, SD

Login or Register to Remove Ads