Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 02-25-2012, 01:52 PM   #121
Mega-Contributor

Relax and take your time. This ain't a foot race. A hurried job is usually a sloppy job.

I am a perfectionist when it comes to things like this. I spent weeks making light bar mounts out of aluminum angle for my Nomad. Spent a fortune on the stuff because I'd ruin it or it didn't turn out like I envisioned. I eventually bought a set of CWI driving lights because I couldn't do a decent enough job to suit me.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-25-2012, 02:16 PM   #122
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
A hurried job is usually a sloppy job.
It's not as much hurried as lack of talent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
I am a perfectionist when it comes to things like this. I spent weeks making light bar mounts out of aluminum angle for my Nomad. Spent a fortune on the stuff because I'd ruin it or it didn't turn out like I envisioned. I eventually bought a set of CWI driving lights because I couldn't do a decent enough job to suit me.
That's sort of my point about switching to a batwing. I hate a sloppy job and the batwing is mostly bolt on so there's little room for error. Either things bolt on or they don't.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 02-25-2012, 03:28 PM   #123

I wish you lived nearby Chris
I would be happy to help you out
V&H pro pipe
FI2000
custom intake
work in progress

Old 02-25-2012, 09:28 PM   #124
Advanced Member

Stick with it! If it was easy everyone would do it! I have had stuff off and on a gazillion times on jobs for just the same reason! Once you get it all together and it looks as you want, then you can tweek the stuff that bugs you the most!

Old 02-26-2012, 01:44 AM   #125
Top Contributor

It'll never look like it's supposed to but I'm about to go out and work on it some more. Maybe I can accomplish something tonight. I hope I can fix the sloppy work. That's one of the frustrating things. No matter how slow I go, no matter how much attention I pay to detail, it just doesn't look good.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2014 Nomad - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-26-2012, 08:23 AM   #126
Top Contributor

Well, it's over. I got the bracket mounted to the fairing then realized I don't have the tools to cut a hole through 2 pieces of steel and reinforced fiberglass to route the wiring the way I had planned. Decided I could still salvage that by running the wiring through the original hole in the fairing. Drilled a couple holes in the sides of the bracket (and decided not to press my luck and only have one hole through the frame instead of 2). The holes didn't quite line up but I figured I'd make it work. Marked the holes in the frame, center punched them, drilled them with a small bit, realized I was off a bit anyway (but again, I'd just enlarge the holes a bit with my trusty Dremel) then drilled them out with the correct size bit.

Now for the really "cool" part (and I'm using as much sarcasm as I possibly can). The frame isn't completely hollow. There's something smack dab in the middle of the friggin' frame. I'm guessing the metal plug the front of the tank bolts on to runs all the way through the frame (that's about where I was drilling). No way to drill through that. So....either I tap the holes (which aren't quite round), I drill a completely different set of holes farther up the frame or I fold and go with a batwing. I don't think there's enough metal to successfully tap the holes. The frame is thick but probably not thick enough. I think it's time to cut my losses and batwing it.

I have a line on a painted outer fairing (for less than $200) and I can find an inner fairing for less than $100 in good shape. Brackets from Chuckster are less than $100 (and I already know he does AWESOME work). That will leave a windshield (less than $100 even for a recurve) and the headlight assembly. I can find those for less than $100, too. I already have most of the gauges, lightbar, stereo and speakers and the bike is wired up. Hopefully, I can sell both Tour Glide fairings for about $400 which should cover the basic cost of the batwing.

Thank you all from the bottom of my heart for all the help and encouragement. I'm not a quitter but I just don't have the resources, tools and talent to finish this project. I figure I've sunk about 2 grand in this so far and it's not worth spending another penny when I know I'll have a half assed fairing when I'm done. As I've said before, I don't do well with stress and I already have enough at work. To keep my sanity, I need to move on. A bike is supposed to be fun. This stopped being fun long ago. I'm to the point where I've considered selling the bike so it's gone too far already.

I still have a Nomad, just not a NomaGlide.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2014 Nomad - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 02-26-2012, 09:25 AM   #127

I learned long ago by experience that not having the proper tools for a job, makes it a difficult struggle, and sometimes a mess, plus it can be dangerous as well. That was a large project you undertook and it requires a lot of different tools and skills. When I run into a job were I need a tool I either buy it, or borrow it. I'm fortunate that between myself and some pals there's not much we don't have or can't do. When things don't go right it's real easy for enthusiasm to go out the window. Also working in a cold garage isn't fun either, that's why I'll wait for some warmer days. I'll get more done in a few hours than working in the cold all weekend.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 02-26-2012, 09:42 AM   #128
Top Contributor

True, that. I just ordered brackets from Joe and I have a line on a painted (black) outer fairing. I just need to find a decent inner and a headlight assembly. There are a few good inners on eBay right now for less than $100 as well as a couple headlight assemblies (again, for less than $100). 7" headlights are a dime a dozen so I'm not worried about that. Too bad I recently spent $60 (more or less...I'm not looking at the receipt) for a dual headlight wiring harness from Eastern Beaver. At least I didn't cut it. I figure, once I have all the parts for the batwing, I can put it all together in a weekend. There shouldn't be any cutting (except a tiny bit to fit the brackets) and no trial and error crap this time. 99% bolt together. I'll have to start a thread with a few batwing questions. I'll take pics of the TG fairing(s) and put them on CL now and if they don't sell in a week or so, I'll throw them on eBay.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2014 Nomad - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 02-26-2012, 10:06 AM   #129

Chris you gave it your best shot and it wasn't working out for you, no harm in that. As Steve says the right tools for the job is half the battle. Having screwed up enough to know how to use them correctly is the other half and that you can't get if you don't try. Maybe you can re-sell this fairing and recoup some of the money you have invested.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 02-26-2012, 10:19 AM   #130
Top Contributor

I've got it for sale in the For Sale section now. TBH, I just want to get rid of it all. Every time I look at it all, I get a sick feeling. If someone gave me what I'm asking, I'll still lose well over a grand but it will be a good start towards a batwing.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2014 Nomad - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 02-26-2012, 10:42 AM   #131

If your going going to install a batwing perhaps you should go with a Premeux or a Reckless fairing, They come ready to bolt on with no fiddling with brackets required. Its fast and easy.The Premeux can even come painted to your bikes colors with a stereo and speakers already installed, right out of the box.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 02-26-2012, 10:44 AM   #132
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringadingh View Post
If your going going to install a batwing perhaps you should go with a Premeux or a Reckless fairing, They come ready to bolt on with no fiddling with brackets required. Its fast and easy.The Premeux can even come painted to your bikes colors with a stereo and speakers already installed, right out of the box.
+1. I was thinking the same thing. He is starting to head down the same rabbit hole.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:47 AM   #133

It also helps alot if you have some friends to help out and just keep you company when doing stuff like this.
Gets prity lonely toiling out in your garage or shop by yourself all day
V&H pro pipe
FI2000
custom intake
work in progress

Old 02-26-2012, 10:52 AM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocheese72 View Post
+1. I was thinking the same thing. He is starting to head down the same rabbit hole.
I think it would save a lot of grief in the long run.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 02-26-2012, 10:56 AM   #135
Top Contributor

Almost everything with the HD batwing is bolt on. No fabrication (other than a wiring harness which I can actually do) is required.

Edit: It would take more fabrication for either the Reckless or Premeux as I'd add gauges. I'd rather bolt them in instead of drilling misaligned holes.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2014 Nomad - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Last edited by Monkeyman; 02-26-2012 at 11:42 AM.