Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 03-15-2016, 11:46 PM   #106
Advanced Member

And I am backing you up 100%
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-16-2016, 01:53 AM   #107
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan_ipp View Post
As long as the temp and altitude corrections are correct, the system adapts perfectly.

Without the proper datalogging and other tuning software and equipment, it's very easy to get things too rich.... this happens quite often with current, common tuning equipment.

Once you have a stable tuning platform, and you adjust the correct parts of the system, the system holds it's tune perfectly without any tricks and in all riding conditions.
There is no way to properly tune a bike like this from outside the ECU.

It fuels by cylinder, and also by gear, and also how quickly you move the throttle.
It also has timing by gear and also by cylinder and in addition, it has some other ignition issues that are unique to this bike, that I won't get into.

With a system that is constantly changing it's fuel and ignition tune depending on what gear it's in, (or how quickly you move the throttle) it's blatantly obvious that it cannot be done properly with an external tuner or simple tricks.

So far, everyone is reporting better than stock mileage and cooler running temps.... Engine oil lasts longer as well as coolant, heat is wear on everything and is the worst enemy.

If I put my name on it, I'm 100% sure that it's right.

Ivan
Flashing the stock ECM is probably the best way to go if it can be done. Sounds like you've done your homework and it should work out well.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 03-16-2016, 09:36 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch View Post
Flashing the stock ECM is probably the best way to go if it can be done. Sounds like you've done your homework and it should work out well.
Geez Ponch,
That almost sounds like an endorsement!

Ride safe,
Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Old 03-16-2016, 10:03 AM   #109
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokier View Post
Geez Ponch,
That almost sounds like an endorsement!

Ride safe,
Smokier
Sure. It's probably worth it just for the quick throttle mod, which tells me it's not just a F/A ratio tweak. The only downside is if the bike is taken to the dealer and they reflash/update the firmware on the computer. Then the tune has to be reapplied.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Old 03-16-2016, 12:18 PM   #110

As a Kawasaki dealer, I can tell you dealers do not have the ability to reflash/update firmware on an ECU. Hooking the bike up to Kawasaki diagnostic software only reads info about the engines running condition or component faults, not tuning info from the ECU. If your dealer has told you he can do this they're either extremely smart or lying. I would ask to watch them do one! Ivan has been doing this work for decades and I have proof that his product works as described. I'm curious Ponch, what is your motorcycle training, repair\tuning background? Not calling you out just curious.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-16-2016, 12:32 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvernekaw View Post
As a Kawasaki dealer, I can tell you dealers do not have the ability to reflash/update firmware on an ECU. Hooking the bike up to Kawasaki diagnostic software only reads info about the engines running condition or component faults, not tuning info from the ECU. If your dealer has told you he can do this they're either extremely smart or lying. I would ask to watch them do one! Ivan has been doing this work for decades and I have proof that his product works as described. I'm curious Ponch, what is your motorcycle training, repair\tuning background? Not calling you out just curious.
So if I did this to my bike and California went to inspecting bikes yearly would they catch that it was done?

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 03-16-2016, 12:50 PM   #112
Advanced Member

Quote:
Didn't the dealers do a firmware update on the early Voyagers, there was a recall. Or did they swap them out?

Old 03-16-2016, 12:51 PM   #113
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Hog View Post
So if I did this to my bike and California went to inspecting bikes yearly would they catch that it was done?
If they do a smog test on the exhaust, I would guess you stand a good chance at failing that part. But I am not Ivan, nor the State of California. :)

EDIT: Part of Ivan's deal is he will flash it back to stock for free (you pay shipping) so if that happens you can get it fixed easily for minor money.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:58 PM   #114
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
They do with BMWs. All the time. I bet if I hooked up my bike to the dealer diagnostic computer, I'd have to pay an hour of time to download all the updates. I am surprised Kawasaki doesn't have that capability. I bet HD and Victory do.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 03-16-2016, 01:02 PM   #115
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonik View Post
Didn't the dealers do a firmware update on the early Voyagers, there was a recall. Or did they swap them out?
The answer to my question was Kaw replaced the ECU's, they did not flash them at the dealer.

Old 03-16-2016, 03:16 PM   #116

Quote:
That said, unless they physically pulled the ECU the dealer would never know it has been "Ivanized" as I'm sure the sticker and engraving are discreetly placed. And just how often does an ECU go bad??? From what I am hearing much more likely a PCV to shit the bed than the ECU.

Old 03-16-2016, 03:23 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan_ipp View Post
As long as the temp and altitude corrections are correct, the system adapts perfectly.

Without the proper datalogging and other tuning software and equipment, it's very easy to get things too rich.... this happens quite often with current, common tuning equipment.

Once you have a stable tuning platform, and you adjust the correct parts of the system, the system holds it's tune perfectly without any tricks and in all riding conditions.
There is no way to properly tune a bike like this from outside the ECU.

It fuels by cylinder, and also by gear, and also how quickly you move the throttle.
It also has timing by gear and also by cylinder and in addition, it has some other ignition issues that are unique to this bike, that I won't get into.

With a system that is constantly changing it's fuel and ignition tune depending on what gear it's in, (or how quickly you move the throttle) it's blatantly obvious that it cannot be done properly with an external tuner or simple tricks.

So far, everyone is reporting better than stock mileage and cooler running temps.... Engine oil lasts longer as well as coolant, heat is wear on everything and is the worst enemy.

If I put my name on it, I'm 100% sure that it's right.

Ivan
Ivan, you have certainly answered all of our questions, espescially about the 02 Sensors. And your reputation and results seem impeccable. One last question on 02 Sensors, though. Is it fair to say you have flashed other brand ECU's (i.e. Yamaha as I see you list them as flashed) that have had 02 Sensors with success or is this unique to Ma Kaw? I see the Motor Company has had them since 2007 but I don't know about other makes. Thanks for your patience from all of us.

Old 03-16-2016, 03:27 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonik View Post
If they do a smog test on the exhaust, I would guess you stand a good chance at failing that part. But I am not Ivan, nor the State of California. :)

EDIT: Part of Ivan's deal is he will flash it back to stock for free (you pay shipping) so if that happens you can get it fixed easily for minor money.

Smog checks are usually done at idle...
I haven't changed that, idle mixture was pretty good as delivered.

Also, if the pipes are changed, then the catalyst is gone.... this might cause a fail.... depending on what the limits are.

Ivan

Old 03-16-2016, 03:30 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erilflynn View Post
Ivan, you have certainly answered all of our questions, espescially about the 02 Sensors. And your reputation and results seem impeccable. One last question on 02 Sensors, though. Is it fair to say you have flashed other brand ECU's (i.e. Yamaha as I see you list them as flashed) that have had 02 Sensors with success or is this unique to Ma Kaw? I see the Motor Company has had them since 2007 but I don't know about other makes. Thanks for your patience from all of us.

They are all the same... They need to be turned off for a good result.

Using an O2 controller externally doesn't work very well compared to turning it off.

The problem is that the mixture will be all over the place while the ecu searches for the O2.... very unstable and not tunable.

Old 03-16-2016, 03:41 PM   #120

I just want to share that I called Ivan yesterday to discuss his service and he was very willing to talk and seems to really know his stuff. I learned some interesting things from him that I was not aware of. For instance, going with a complete exhaust system doesn't improve performance much over slip ons. It's losing the catalytic converter that improves things the most. I'm going to get my Nomad broken in first, but will definitely be getting this done.