Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-03-2008, 04:50 PM   #91
Sr. Contributor

Thoughts on pinging

Congratulations! My mom always told me that education is one thing no one can take away from you. That's quite a gift. Enjoy your Nachas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddmannq
I'd be messing with it today, but it's my daughter's graduation and I gotta split soon. She graduated Magna Cum Laude, so I'm really proud. She's 27, and stopped school to get married and have two kids first, but she finally finished and I'm still really proud. Besides, I have a lot of money invested in her schooling so I gotta go. I guess I could have spent the money on a Corvette or a bigger boat, but I'm proud I spent it on her instead.

Did I mention how proud I am? ;)
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-05-2008, 10:34 AM   #92

Thoughts on pinging

Quote:
Some of us are just in the midst of thinking about this and have not actually been stirred into action as of yet. ::)
I hear you, well, i was brainstorming and came up with another idea. i slipped a piece of rubber hose over the tip of the air charge sensor, i figure, it would serve as an insulator, thus keeping the sensor a bit cooler, so far, wide open throttle, and light throttle, no pinging, something a bit funny though, the first tank full after that, yielded about 12-15 extra miles before my light came on, it ussually comes on after 120 miles, so this time i was aproaching 135 miles when the light came on. it's too early to say it works, but i have another idea that i am going to test. the bottom line is temperature and air charge!! so i am going to drill a tiny hole about a 1/16 of an inch on the plastic housing that holds the sensor, and run a small piece of hose directed to the tip of the sensor, of course i am going to put some kind of filtration device, the purpose is to inject some cold air to the tip of the sensor to keep it reading cooler temperature. i will post later wether if it made any difference or not, so far i have eliminated about 95% pinging under all conditions, i have to see what happens in hotter weather.

Jesus Granados
La Verne,Ca
2003 nomad 66,000 miles and loving it.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:39 AM   #93

Thoughts on pinging

If you're getting better mileage it's likely that the sensor is either staying warmer, or simply maintaining a more stable temperature altogether.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:51 AM   #94

Thoughts on pinging

Quote:
If you're getting better mileage it's likely that the sensor is either staying warmer, or simply maintaining a more stable temperature altogether.
I really can't say just yet. i will monitor for a few tanks and see if this holds true, i think your'e right, the sensor is probably not fluctuating as much in temperature, so as a result fuel ussage is more steady, my spark plugs are going on 22,000 miles, so i am planning to replace them with a colder iridium set, i hope to do all of these things and solve the pinging 100% by the end of june, I am riding with some friends to Red Lodge for the Beartooth rally, and i know we are going to hit hi temps along the way, as well as high altitude. BTW i am tyrying to solve the problem without having to add any electronic gizmos, nor changing any factory settings, i am sure there is a way, it only takes patience and determination. i am almost there!! i can feel it.

PS i will shoot some pictures of what i have done and i will post them later if it works 100%

Jesus Granados
La Verne,Ca
2003 nomad 66,000 miles and loving it.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:50 AM   #95

Thoughts on pinging

I wonder if Nomads in other Countrys ping? Do non-USA Nomads have a different ECU? If they're set up to run great instead of to pass EPA maybe we could import overseas chips.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-06-2008, 09:54 AM   #96
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Thoughts on pinging

Could that piece of rubber hose on the end of the sensor come off accidentally and get sucked into the injectors? Whats keeping it from vibrating off?

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 05-06-2008, 10:14 AM   #97

Thoughts on pinging

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzinger
I wonder if Nomads in other Countrys ping? Do non-USA Nomads have a different ECU? If they're set up to run great instead of to pass EPA maybe we could import overseas chips.
That would cost about $1000, plus be totally illegal. Plus the Euro standards probably aren't much better in this respect (but I'm just guessing there.)

Old 05-06-2008, 10:18 AM   #98

Thoughts on pinging

Probably no more illegal than taking off the goats belly, coaster mod, charcoal cannister, etc.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:18 PM   #99

Thoughts on pinging

Ssssssh!

You're right, except your idea involves illegal importation ie. smuggling!

Old 05-06-2008, 01:14 PM   #100

Thoughts on pinging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
Could that piece of rubber hose on the end of the sensor come off accidentally and get sucked into the injectors? Whats keeping it from vibrating off?
I am going to make it out of copper tubbing with a brass fitting, sort of like a nozzle. so no, it shouldn't come off. i am going to drill a small hole around the front of the plastic housing, next to the sensor, maybe about the 4 oclock position, and attach some kind of filter media, then route it right against the tip of the sensor, maybe say,,, 3/16 of an inch in diameter, just to channel a little bit of cold air, i am in the tinckering mode, you know,,,,

Old 05-08-2008, 08:53 PM   #101
Sr. Contributor

Thoughts on pinging

Well:

Not one to believe to leave well enough alone, most on here in this subject know that I'm on a quest for a cooler running Nomad that rarely has the fan kick on and NEVER pings! Ha! I've opened up the left side a little with the drilling. I have spliced a 330 ohm resistor into the water temp sensor to fool the ECU into thinking the bike is running cooler and therefore will add more fuel. I also have/had a 1K ohm resistor spliced into the air temp sensor for the same reason.

All this as stopped 80% of the pinging I used to get on the el cheapo, what passes as premium gas, in California.

Tonight I removed the 1K ohm resistor and am now trying a 1.5K ohm. Started the bike up and still no fault light. Sounded good and steady.

Prior to tonight the last good test I had was when it was 100 in southern cal and ran around with both sensors spliced into. I barely got it to ping in high gear rolling it on hard at 55 mph. I could hear a slight rattle that stopped quickly. I remember prior to when I first had my bike I was in stop and go traffic on the freeway on a really hot day and it would ping in low gear! made me cringe!!

Anyway, will give you a progress report when the weather heats up as because now it's been cool and it doesn't ping at all on premium. Of course if it's too rich (I doubt) down grading to mid grade could be an option or even regular (wishful thinking!). We'll keep you posted!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

Member # 0005

Old 05-08-2008, 10:56 PM   #102

Thoughts on pinging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
Well:

Not one to believe to leave well enough alone, most on here in this subject know that I'm on a quest for a cooler running Nomad that rarely has the fan kick on and NEVER pings! Ha! I've opened up the left side a little with the drilling. I have spliced a 330 ohm resistor into the water temp sensor to fool the ECU into thinking the bike is running cooler and therefore will add more fuel. I also have/had a 1K ohm resistor spliced into the air temp sensor for the same reason.

All this as stopped 80% of the pinging I used to get on the el cheapo, what passes as premium gas, in California.

Tonight I removed the 1K ohm resistor and am now trying a 1.5K ohm. Started the bike up and still no fault light. Sounded good and steady.

Prior to tonight the last good test I had was when it was 100 in southern cal and ran around with both sensors spliced into. I barely got it to ping in high gear rolling it on hard at 55 mph. I could hear a slight rattle that stopped quickly. I remember prior to when I first had my bike I was in stop and go traffic on the freeway on a really hot day and it would ping in low gear! made me cringe!!

Anyway, will give you a progress report when the weather heats up as because now it's been cool and it doesn't ping at all on premium. Of course if it's too rich (I doubt) down grading to mid grade could be an option or even regular (wishful thinking!). We'll keep you posted!
good!! i just got my spark plugs, i am going to install NGK's # DPR7EIX-9 Iridium they are one step colder plugs than the OEM plugs. i will be running on those from now on, i will report changes if any! los angeles weather has been cooler than normal, so i can't really make it ping at the present time. but in a few days i will be able to know better. good luck to all of you on the anti-ping campaign!!

Jesus Granados
La Verne,Ca
2003 nomad 66,000 miles and loving it

Old 05-08-2008, 11:52 PM   #103

Thoughts on pinging

I bought those same plugs myself. Now if Bikebandit would just send me the other three.... ::)

Old 05-09-2008, 09:33 AM   #104
Sr. Contributor

Thoughts on pinging

that was a funny story cadd.. in a "con" sort of way! Hopefully they'll do right...my guess is no.

Member # 0005

Old 05-11-2008, 07:35 PM   #105
Sr. Contributor

Thoughts on pinging

Got to ride about 100 miles since the upgrade to the 1.5k ohm resistor. Can't tell if the pinging stopped because it's been cooler here but the bike now feel like it has more oomph. I got on the freeway this morning very early and when I hammered it in 2nd I was paying far more attention looking forward than before and the bike was haulin' the mail pretty good! wound 3rd to an indicated 95 and hammered 4th and was pulling strong on the top. Quickly stuck in into 5th and cruised down to 75 but my guess watching the speedometer not slowing down at 105 in 4th that there definitely is more fuel pulling harding on the top end than before.

Now watch my mileage tank!!! LOL.

BTW then radiator fluid change without a doubt makes the bike run cooler, no question.

Member # 0005