Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 02:37 PM   #61
Sr. Contributor

His incantation regarding victory bikes
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-28-2013, 03:52 PM   #62
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Hey guys... what to know why Kris bought an XCT??? Take a guess. And this was a few months after the Voyager.

what kris stated is true. From the beginning all of us have commented on why the Nomad didn't have this or come "this way" or some corner cutting that have annoyed lots of us. This does not imply that the Nomad was a bad start! From the beginning Kawasaki did the Nomad proud and the frame design and larger motor in 2005 caused sales to really pick up. I for one was expecting all the best in the next few years so i could stay with that brand.

When I rode the big Vic at the motorcycle show is wasn't that I was so impressed as i was swearing under my helmet, "This is exactly where I thought the Nomad was headed too!". Motor feels 40% stronger, quieter valve and cam noise. Instrumentation that looks like it came off a Mercedes. Cruise, super storage, and the most surprising thing that all the 2009 Nomads, Vaqueros and Voyagers owners talk about, it has more room than the original big 1600 Nomads. A LOT more room. Some have commented on the 2009 forward's redesign the Kawasakis feel smaller. I've sat on them and they are a little bit more "on the tank" feeling.

All the comments members make about how they love their 1600 Nomad because of this or that reason i don't question. But those reasons you like that "version" of Nomad the best is the reason Kris, I and others went the route we did. Everything the Nomad did for us the Vic does it that much better. More room, power, 5 more mpg's bigger tank, overdrive, largest storage of all touring bikes and that traditional V-Twin laid back feel!

Kris even admitted to me his Nomad had more room and better ergos than his Voyager and I didn't doubt him in the least. His Vic has it that much more over his Nomad...

As repeated I'll add a caveat; If the original 1600 Nomad fit you better and that's why you didn't upgrade after 2009 to the redesigned 1700's, DO AND I REPEAT DO NOT RIDE THE VICTORY. You'll be saying, "this is what I wanted my original Nomad to morph into!!!"

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 04-28-2013, 06:00 PM   #63
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch View Post
His incantation regarding victory bikes
You'll have to be more specific.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 04-28-2013, 06:11 PM   #64
Top Contributor

That pretty well sums it up....the XC-XCT is what you hoped the Nomad would become, but didn't. Like I said in my last post, anyone who has loved their 1500/1600 Nomads, will love the Vic's even more because it feels like a Nomad on steroids with the exception of the handlebars.

The handlebars, even with the 2" pullback, have a grip position that is a bit unnatural and seems to be a common complaint on the Vic forums. That is the last piece of the puzzle I am working on. I think I am going to have a custom set made that will change the grip angle rearward from 25 to 40 degrees....and downward from 15 to 25 degrees. There do not seem to be any aftermarket bars for a XC that accomplish that, so a custom set seems to be my best option. BR's Custom Bars out of New York can/will make any handlebar for any bike to your personal specs. Then it will REALLY feel like a beefed up Nomad!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grip Angle 1.jpg (97.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Grip Angle 2.jpg (95.4 KB, 10 views)
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 04-28-2013, 07:12 PM   #65
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
You'll have to be more specific.
If you ride one you'll buy one.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-28-2013, 07:55 PM   #66
Top Contributor

I dont doubt a Victory Cross Country Tour is better than a 1600 Nomad (from what I have read on here) but after 5 hours on my Voyager yesterday I have no desire to spend another $15,000 to get a new Victory. The Voyager is much better in many ways than my 1600 Nomad was and is all the bike I need. Yes the Voyager is a little more cramped than the 1600 Nomad was but that is something that can be fixed for a lot less than $15,000.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:22 PM   #67
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
I dont doubt a Victory Cross Country Tour is better than a 1600 Nomad (from what I have read on here) but after 5 hours on my Voyager yesterday I have no desire to spend another $15,000 to get a new Victory. The Voyager is much better in many ways than my 1600 Nomad was and is all the bike I need. Yes the Voyager is a little more cramped than the 1600 Nomad was but that is something that can be fixed for a lot less than $15,000.
I thing the difference with new versus new is about $4K. Seems the XCT is going for around $23K and it depends on color, accessories and dealer convenience fee. Once the price of a bike gets over $20K, the competition changes. There's the Goldwing, K1600's, Victory XCT, Vision and the HD bikes. It seems to me that Victory is positioning itself differently than Kawasaki. One is a value proposition and the other is value at a competitive price point with the direct competition, which is HD. From an emotional point of view, Victory doesn't have what HD does, which is akin to religion. Instead it's more of a rational proposition, but not as much as buying a BMW is. Someone that want's a V-Twin is a different rider. So, the incantation of ride one, you'll buy one serves as a challenge. One, they are saying that their bikes are so good that you'll want one if you just try it, it's that good, appealing to a rider that wants something substantive. Two, they are being a little brash and bold, as the upstart in that market niche. From what I can tell, it's working.

Anyway, anyone willing to spend $23K on a bike should ride all of the bikes in that price range just to make sure. It is a lot of money, but a lot of times we get what we pay for. The only real problem with the Voyager is that it was built by the bean counters. Sometimes I think the bean counters need a one way ticket to hell with a lawyer under each arm.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 04-28-2013, 08:56 PM   #68
Top Contributor

How tall are you, redjay? If you're short, the Voyager might well work for you. If you're tall, the Vic works better (ergonomically). I think the Vic just does things better than the Voyager. For example, the Voyager needs something to deal with heat (KACT?). Victory actually had to swap to a smaller oil cooler a few years back because the bikes were running too cool.

ponch --- I would have strongly considered a K1600 GTL if I could have dealt with the riding position. My knees (and big belly) just won't allow that. I haven't seen any good deals on those, either.

Speaking of deals, Victory usually offers some good deals on new, holdovers. I bought my '12 brand new (after the '13s came out) and got a free 4 year extended warranty (which I'll never use), $1000 in Vic accessories/apparel for buying within a month of demo days and $250 each in accessories and apparel. Some dealers will give you those rebates as cash off, others will make you get the stuff. There are also discounts for active duty/retired military and active duty/retired LEOs. If you qualified for all this (and could get the dealer to give you cash off), you could conceivably get a new $23k bike for around $17k. Pretty freakin' good deal if you could swing it. My Vision stickered for $21.5k. I paid $20k OTD. If I could have found a new '11, I could have got it OTD for less than $18k. Just food for thought.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 04-28-2013, 09:40 PM   #69
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
How tall are you, redjay? If you're short, the Voyager might well work for you. If you're tall, the Vic works better (ergonomically). I think the Vic just does things better than the Voyager. For example, the Voyager needs something to deal with heat (KACT?). Victory actually had to swap to a smaller oil cooler a few years back because the bikes were running too cool.

ponch --- I would have strongly considered a K1600 GTL if I could have dealt with the riding position. My knees (and big belly) just won't allow that. I haven't seen any good deals on those, either.

Speaking of deals, Victory usually offers some good deals on new, holdovers. I bought my '12 brand new (after the '13s came out) and got a free 4 year extended warranty (which I'll never use), $1000 in Vic accessories/apparel for buying within a month of demo days and $250 each in accessories and apparel. Some dealers will give you those rebates as cash off, others will make you get the stuff. There are also discounts for active duty/retired military and active duty/retired LEOs. If you qualified for all this (and could get the dealer to give you cash off), you could conceivably get a new $23k bike for around $17k. Pretty freakin' good deal if you could swing it. My Vision stickered for $21.5k. I paid $20k OTD. If I could have found a new '11, I could have got it OTD for less than $18k. Just food for thought.
I like the idea of the motor in the new K bikes, but the bar ergonomics are hard to change and very expensive (I don't like to lean forward) . The RT has a boxer engine, which is simpler, easier to work on and get to and has a track record. No, you won't find any deals on the K bikes as they sell every one they make pretty quickly. As far as the Victory goes, I don't qualify for any discount and I haven't seen leftovers. There's usually some leftovers with Kawasaki. Next year my bike will almost be paid off and may be I'll get a second ride at some point. We'll see. I like test riding them.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 04-28-2013, 10:21 PM   #70
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netnorske View Post
That pretty well sums it up....the XC-XCT is what you hoped the Nomad would become, but didn't. Like I said in my last post, anyone who has loved their 1500/1600 Nomads, will love the Vic's even more because it feels like a Nomad on steroids with the exception of the handlebars.

The handlebars, even with the 2" pullback, have a grip position that is a bit unnatural and seems to be a common complaint on the Vic forums. That is the last piece of the puzzle I am working on. I think I am going to have a custom set made that will change the grip angle rearward from 25 to 40 degrees....and downward from 15 to 25 degrees. There do not seem to be any aftermarket bars for a XC that accomplish that, so a custom set seems to be my best option. BR's Custom Bars out of New York can/will make any handlebar for any bike to your personal specs. Then it will REALLY feel like a beefed up Nomad!
Thats because you have those scrawney T Rex arms !!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 04-28-2013, 10:26 PM   #71
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post
Like this?

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 04-28-2013, 10:57 PM   #72
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post
Yes....and here is the answer to my prayers.....but I can't see shelling out what they are asking for these....! Click to zoom to see a couple other pics.....every adustment you could hope to make...! Check out the second of the three pics.

HeliBars
https://www.helibars.com/product/hor...lebars-victory
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 04-28-2013, 11:30 PM   #73
Advanced Member

I rode one (Victory Cross Country) and then went down the road and bought a Voyager.

I wasn't impressed with the XC. I thought the riding position was great, but the wind management was the worst I have ever seen and I mean worst than a naked bike.

The gravel and general crud from the road kicked up by cars in front of me peppered me like a shotgun blast. The transmission was as clunky if not clunkier than a Harley. The location of the rear brake peddle was ridiculous to the point that the first couple of times I went to stop I couldn't find the damn thing with my foot. The wind over the shorty windshield had my head looping around from the turbulence. I couldn't hear the stereo over 50 mph.

Even with all these issues I kept telling myself that I could fix it because I liked the looks of the bike. Then I got back from the test drive and spoke to the lunatic salesman.

This dealership in question advertises on TV and on the radio that they will not be undersold. They will match any price. I had located several bikes of the same make and model (2012 Red & Silver XC) just under $16,000.

At first the salesman told me that he couldn't match the lowest advertised price of $15,995. He showed me on his invoice sheet that the price was invoice minus the current rebate money they had going on the 2012's at the time. He eventually backed off that after talking to his manager and said they could do the price, but couldn't take my trade in. They had earlier quoted me at $5500 on trade for my 2006 Nomad.

When I asked why they couldn't take the trade-in, he said that he could, but if they took my trade, I would have to pay the full $21,000 retail price for the XC - $19,500 after the $1500 rebate. That was also before the filing fees and whatever else they add in.

I asked him if he understood that what he was suggesting was that I give him my Nomad for the equivalent of $2000 on the trade? He seemed oblivious to this and thought that his math made perfect sense. I thanked him and then went 20 miles down the road and bought a 2012 Voyager for $15,700 out the door and got $5800 on the trade-in for the Nomad. That's an out of pocket cost of $9900.

I know that several of my concerns about the XC would be addressed on the XCT, but they are at least $3000 more than the XC. If I were to go with my Victory salesman's math skills that would run me close to $11,000 more out the door than I paid for my Voyager. It just ain't that much better.

I did 3000 miles out to and around Tennessee this past fall on the VV and I'm getting ready to take off with a buddy in two weeks to do a ten day, 3500 mile trip through southern New Mexico / Arizona, up to the Grand Canyon, to Durango for a run up the million dollar highway and over to Taos, NM before returning home.

I must say that I've been pretty damn happy with my "crappy" Voyager. I rode her a couple hundred miles today and by God, I think I'm gonna ride the stinker again tomorrow!
VBA Member #02104
2013 HD 110th Anniversary Electra Glide Ultra Limited
2012 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Voyager
2009 Yamaha FJR1300
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Nomad
2002 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Custom
1989 Yamaha Virago 750

Last edited by fammdw; 04-28-2013 at 11:38 PM.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:45 PM   #74
Sr. Contributor

And thats why it's always better to do a money transaction meaning, get financing before hand and sell the existing bike privately. At that point, it's all about OTD without any four square ben franklin assumptive close appeal to a higher authority BS magic sales techniques. Once there are trades and financing through the dealer, there's a lot of gray area that we don't see where they make up their points.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 04-28-2013, 11:54 PM   #75
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netnorske View Post
Yes....and here is the answer to my prayers.....but I can't see shelling out what they are asking for these....! Click to zoom to see a couple other pics.....every adustment you could hope to make...! Check out the second of the three pics.

HeliBars
https://www.helibars.com/product/hor...lebars-victory
How much more is it than custom bars?
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Closed Thread