Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-11-2008, 03:44 PM   #46

Send a message via MSN to scion0
Fiction or Fact

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB,voices tell me evil things
Scion0, that's a good idea, writing to MaKaw. I know it's been something we've always wanted to do. What would you think about working on something like that?
I wouldn't mind sending a letter or two but it sounds like Trip and the late Chuck "txcwdancer" tried. Maybe if all of us sent a letter or three introducing ourselves and our site. Kind of like one of the military or government sites that have the form letter that one fills in the blank and sends off.

Maybe if MaKaw received 1 or 2 thousand letters.. but then I could be naive. :-) I say it would be worth a try!

Mike
"Scion0"
VBA#: 0097
Former VBA North Central Asst Regional Leader
St Jude Rides Peoria to Memphis Rider
Retired MSgt, USAF (1979 -99)
"Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff!"
Current ride: 2012 H-D Ultra FLHTCU (Black)
Past ride: 2007 Black Nomad

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-11-2008, 03:45 PM   #47

Fiction or Fact

[quote="Scion0" ]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "SWB,voices tell me evil things":6eqjhwk1
Scion0, that's a good idea, writing to MaKaw. I know it's been something we've always wanted to do. What would you think about working on something like that?
I wouldn't mind sending a letter or two but it sounds like Trip and the late Chuck "txcwdancer" tried. Maybe if all of us sent a letter or three introducing ourselves and our site. Kind of like one of the military or government sites that have the form letter that one fills in the blank and sends off.

Maybe if MaKaw received 1 or 2 thousand letters.. but then I could be naive. :-) I say it would be worth a try![/quote:6eqjhwk1]

I maybe able to set up a page like that... just a thought.

Mike
"Scion0"

Old 08-11-2008, 07:13 PM   #48

Send a message via Yahoo to ruruson1
Fiction or Fact

I just got back also and was told the same info. after the trip I've looked and several tour bikes, Honda goldwing, Yamahaw stratoliner, Victory vision. so I went to the Kaw guys to test ride a Concourse ( man is that fast ) and sple with them about the future and a possible tour bike. They told me to wait for the 09's to come out befor I chose to leave Kaw for another brand. I love my Kaw and although this is my first nomad I have had several Kaw's I think I will wait.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:10 AM   #49

Fiction or Fact

The nomad is a great platform but I definately would not buy one if it came with a fairing, radios,c.b., cup holders, flagg bar,cruise control, air seats and all the comforts of a good sports car!
I like the nomad for its simpleness. As soon as I got her home, off came the passenger bar and brackets. She cleaned up right away. I would hate to have a bike that everyone else has with every option available. I find the nomad looks better in its simplest form with clean lines, then add whatever you want on her to fit your desires. This I've tried to do while not straying away from its lines. I understand why others dress their nomads to the hilt with trunks and add ons and to each their own. Maybe Kawasaki should listen up and build two versions..one dressed up and one undressed.
What I don't understand is the lack of accessories for the nomad compared to other makes? Bdog

Old 08-12-2008, 06:59 AM   #50

Send a message via Skype™ to aj
Fiction or Fact

The basic Vulcan platform, with an options up (add ons) could give everyone what they want - all the way up to a 2000+??? inc cup holders. Me, I love mine the way it is (maybe with a bit more bling!) If and more likely when I upgrade it will be only to improve the technology not the style. I'm a "forever" Nomad guy.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-12-2008, 09:35 AM   #51
Mega-Contributor

Fiction or Fact

I'm not so sure I'd want to walk into a dealer and if I wanted a new Nomad, only have the option to buy a fully-loaded machine. I would like a fairing and a trunk. Yes, I know I already have a trunk, but it would be nice to have a really nice trunk and fairing, sold by Kaw for the Nomad. Bolt-ons that didn't require custom fabrication, available in matching colors, etc.

Think about the Nomad audio system. Great idea, but wrong execution. I think Kaw has sold like 5 of them. Overpriced, in my opinion and takes up too much valuable space in a saddlebag.

Again, this goes back to the half-hearted marketing on these bikes by the manufacturer. It's almost like they try not to sell them. Any they do sell are sold by accident. I know if Kaw sang the praises - and there are many - of the Nomad in the media, they'd sell like Frigidaires in the Sahara.

VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 08-12-2008, 09:45 AM   #52

Fiction or Fact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog
The nomad is a great platform but I definately would not buy one if it came with a fairing, radios,c.b., cup holders, flagg bar,cruise control, air seats and all the comforts of a good sports car!
I like the nomad for its simpleness. As soon as I got her home, off came the passenger bar and brackets. She cleaned up right away. I would hate to have a bike that everyone else has with every option available. I find the nomad looks better in its simplest form with clean lines, then add whatever you want on her to fit your desires. This I've tried to do while not straying away from its lines. I understand why others dress their nomads to the hilt with trunks and add ons and to each their own. Maybe Kawasaki should listen up and build two versions..one dressed up and one undressed.
What I don't understand is the lack of accessories for the nomad compared to other makes? Bdog
I can see your point, so perhaps two versions would be good.

I think that looks wise, a solo seat Nomad looks the best of all. Probably a solo seat with no windshield.

But for me practicality wins over looks. There's no way I'd go without a windshield, and on long trips a trunk is nice if you ever go two up.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:57 AM   #53

Fiction or Fact

I agree about the trunk would be nice... but I don't like the looks (reminds me of those other guys too much -- I live close to a HD dealership and that is all I see around here) but would love the space. Illinois doesn't require a helmet and lately I find that I am riding more and more without it. I'd love to have a place to store it on the bike when I really wanted to wear it [I know as my head hits the pavement is too late].

Mike
"Scion0"

Old 08-13-2008, 08:19 AM   #54
Advanced Member

Fiction or Fact

So, if the Nomad came with a removable Trunk & Fairing people would be happy? My Fairing comes off with 4 bolts and two plugs - Windshield would bolt back on in same time if I hadn't sold it to Trip! Trunk is held on with four bolts also - gave back rest to a friend to modify for a Venture trunk he was given. So, I could have gone from stock to full dress in less than 10 minutes. Options like that should make most people happy?

Old 08-13-2008, 08:59 AM   #55
VBA Founder

Fiction or Fact

My original idea was for Kawa to keep the current Nomad setup and accessories the way it is, but add a second Nomad to the line, that would be the 2000 with 6gal tank, trunk, fairing, etc.

Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Old 08-13-2008, 09:07 AM   #56
Mega-Contributor

Fiction or Fact

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewindgy
So, if the Nomad came with a removable Trunk & Fairing people would be happy? My Fairing comes off with 4 bolts and two plugs - Windshield would bolt back on in same time if I hadn't sold it to Trip! Trunk is held on with four bolts also - gave back rest to a friend to modify for a Venture trunk he was given. So, I could have gone from stock to full dress in less than 10 minutes. Options like that should make most people happy?
Well what I meant was a trunk and fairing made (not necessarily by Kaw, but to their specs) and designed for the Nomad and in Nomad colors. I know there are trunks and fairings available now. Of course if Kaw sold them, they'd cost even more than they do now. I guess just more accessories would be nice. That's my biggest beef - the lack of Nomad-specific accessories. Like a rear fender trim for the 1600, for example.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 08-17-2008, 01:54 AM   #57

Fiction or Fact

I agree with Trip on many of his suggestions save one; If they made the new Nomad with belt drive, I would be a happy boy - I have never been a fan of shaft. Too much HP lost compared to belt.

As for development of the Nomad, Kawasaki could take a hint from Star (Yamaha) and point both barrels at HD. Offer the Nomad in different touring levels. Sans fairing (so they could smoke the Road King), Fairing no truck (What Street Glide?) and fairing and trunk (Kiss your Ultra good bye!). With a bigger Kawi motor and some of those posh electrical accessories (GPS is the biggest on a touring bike) and they could have a really great line-up!

Old 08-17-2008, 09:30 AM   #58

Fiction or Fact

Quote:
Originally Posted by yridehd
I agree with Trip on many of his suggestions save one; If they made the new Nomad with belt drive, I would be a happy boy - I have never been a fan of shaft. Too much HP lost compared to belt.

As for development of the Nomad, Kawasaki could take a hint from Star (Yamaha) and point both barrels at HD. Offer the Nomad in different touring levels. Sans fairing (so they could smoke the Road King), Fairing no truck (What Street Glide?) and fairing and trunk (Kiss your Ultra good bye!). With a bigger Kawi motor and some of those posh electrical accessories (GPS is the biggest on a touring bike) and they could have a really great line-up!
+1

Does MaKAW even have a consumer "hotline" that actually listens to us? I must admit though, the local dealer actually had 2 Nomads on the show floor a while back. That is an improvement from none at all.

Mike
"Scion0"

Old 08-17-2008, 11:35 AM   #59
Mega-Contributor

Fiction or Fact

I honestly don't believe Kawasaki gives a rat's rear-end about what we think. I really don't. Star's got a big marketing campaign about how customizable their bikes are. And you can find nearly every bolt-on imaginable for them, HD still has the market cornered on that, but Star is probably second place. The Nomad is always the "asterisk" in the application guides, as in "* - except 04-08 Nomad". Now I see Cobra discontinuing accessories for the Nomad, and it makes me wonder if they know something we don't.

If Kawasaki wanted to sell Nomads, they'd advertise the hell out of them. I don't know that I've ever seen a Nomad advertisement, either in print or on TV. It's nice to ride a bike that is unlike most others and turns heads when you ride by. On the other hand, it would be nice to ride one that you can actually buy accessories for and not have to engineer things yourself.

I know I keep bringing this up, but take the Nomad sound system. People probably mentioned that they'd like a sound system for the Nomad. So Kaw designs one that costs nearly a grand. I don't know that anybody would have wished for that. For that kind of money, I want a stereo with a fairing around it.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 08-17-2008, 11:47 AM   #60
Top Contributor

Fiction or Fact

reading Trip's wish list congures up one bike in my mind, a H-D Ultra Glide(except the motor size). I was doing an estimator on one and trading my bike in(or selling it out right) the monthly payments are lower than my Nomad? thats a weird feeling. How's the riding going Oldbiker???