Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 09:32 PM   #46
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoeney View Post
Yeah. I knew whatever numbers I wrote would be scrutinized. At least I was close!

You could be right on about the reliability....is there like a Consumer Report somewhere that gives that kind of info on Victorys? Might just be my lack of history with Victory reliability. I do know GW used to be stellar but not as good in recent years. Maybe that is why they pulled production from the US and moved it back to Japan?

All of the bikes on my list have plenty of power. I don't see myself needing to add any more.

Yes those boards are smoking hot. I can see them giving my knee plenty of relief.

Thanks for the input!
Consumer reports also showed something else: Loyalty. There must be something the "least reliable" bikes offer that the others don't if they have the highest brand loyalty. I can't speak for a HD, but my guess with BMW is that it is a very well balanced and thought out bike. In terms of features and performance, it's not a compromise in any area. Everything works well together. Is it worth it? I am still trying to figure it out. I have 18K miles on my RT and it still isn't broken in yet. I'll let you know how it goes as I go along.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-27-2013, 09:48 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
I got my reliability info from reading the Vic boards. Other than little things, there are very few who have any real issues with the Victorys. I questioned that before I bought mine. I've put almost 4k miles on my '12 Vision and other than a broken trunk lid cable and a broken switch blank (just a blank...not an actual switch), I haven't had any mechanical issues. There are a few Vic owners who have close to (or above) 150k miles on thier CORE bikes and haven't had to do anything other than normal stuff. There's even a guy (from MN) who not only rode to Key West, FL (without issue) but then traveled to Prudoe Bay, Alaska...in 10 days (yes, he's crazy). There's a thread on advriders about his trip (his handle is Rollin). The XC (Cross Country) reliability is the same as the Vision as they're both basically the same bike with different tupperware.

As I've said before, even if you can't get around the looks of the Vision, I'd ride one just for the hell of it. You might be impressed enough to buy one. There are some great deals on used Visions like this one > http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2011-...item232a3f818b <. 2011 was probably the best year for the Vision. If this had been for sale when I was looking last year, I probably would have looked hard at it.
Buying a white bike would be funny. I have 3 cars. They are all white.

I actually have ridden a Vision. I think it was a 2011. I went to a Victory demo day a couple years ago. I have been to several brand of demo days and I think Victory does the best job. They let us ride about 20 minutes on each one and the leader rode very fast so we could too. If I go Victory I will go with the XC because of the bag size. The Visions are just too small for me. But I do like the looks of the Vision as well.

I rode 3 different bikes that year (Vision, Kingpin, and something with no windshield and a huge back tire..maybe the Jackpot/8 ball?) The Jackpot started squirting gas out the side in the middle of the ride. Crossed that one off my list.

The Kingpin surprised me. It was very comfortable.
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 04-27-2013, 09:55 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
Schoeney, it looks like you're really enjoying this process and also looks like it's going to be one of these: C14, ST1300 or Strato.

I don't want to complicate it but how come there's no Suzuki in your short list, e.g. a C90 (not the new one or you might like the new one also?). I test rode a 2008 C90 and I quite liked it, the only downside is the small gas tank but I know people install an aux. tank easily. If you rode one, you'd own one.

Good luck!
It is probably a great bike but somewhat of an also ran against the Strat and XC. Less power and doesn't look as good IMHO.

One of the beauties of being a bike shopper right now is there are so many great bikes to choose from. You are correct...it has been fun but I am ready for it to be over so I can go ride. Thanks for the help!
VBA #659

Last edited by schoeney; 04-27-2013 at 10:14 PM.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:48 PM   #49
Top Contributor

See post #29....!
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 04-27-2013, 11:07 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netnorske View Post
See post #29....!
You must know something, we don't.

At any rate, nothing like getting a new bike, happy for Schoeney or anyone bringing a brand spanking new bike home.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-28-2013, 12:37 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
You must know something, we don't.

At any rate, nothing like getting a new bike, happy for Schoeney or anyone bringing a brand spanking new bike home.
I doubt it will be brand new. But new to me.
VBA #659

Old 04-28-2013, 02:43 AM   #52
Top Contributor

Honestly....and Greg would tell you...I have not tried to sway him in the least. The fact is that the XC or XCT is what an improved/upgraded 1600 Nomad should have been. It is the bike most like the Nomad in rider/passenger space, with much improved power, is slimmer, feels lighter, handles great, has a larger fuel and storage capacity, full fairing w/stereo, and superior suspension. You feel like you are riding in it, not on it. Heck, even the stock seat may pass muster without the need for an $800.00 aftermarket replacement! Anyone who has ridden can come to their own conclusion, but anyone who has spent time on a Nomad will especially appreciate the Vic XC not only for the similarities, but for the improvements in all of the above mentioned categories (ie: all the right places). Greg may end up on another bike...but I sincerely doubt that he would or could deny what I have just stated.

Having said all that....the XC may or may not address the primary issue he was having with the Nomad....said problem being his knee. He is a sly devil though, and while I would not suggest he has determined to use his knee as an excuse to upgrade the incumbency of bay #3....who among us could deny him the temptation to experience the cruising luxury of 90+ HP, a 6th gear, or the pulling power of a Kenworth truck...??
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Last edited by Netnorske; 04-28-2013 at 11:57 AM.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:44 AM   #53
Sr. Contributor

Not everyone falls under R Lee Ermey's incantation.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Old 04-28-2013, 11:18 AM   #54

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Honestly....and Greg would tell you...I have not tried to sway him in the least. The fact is that the XC or XCT is what an improved/upgraded 1600 Nomad should have been. It is the bike most like the Nomad in rider/passenger space, with much improved power, is slimmer, feels lighter, handles great, has a larger fuel and storage capacity, full fairing w/stereo, and superior suspension. You feel like you are riding in it, not on it. Heck, even the stock seat may pass muster without the need for an $800.00 aftermarket replacement! Anyone who has ridden can come to their own conclusion, but anyone who has spent time on a Nomad will especially appreciate the Vic XC not only for the similarities, but for the improvements in all of the above mentioned categories (ie: all the right places). Greg may end up on another bike...but I sincerely doubt that he would or could deny what I have just stated.

Having said all that....the XC may may or may not address the primary issue he was having with the Nomad....said problem being his knee. He is a sly devil though, and while I would not suggest he has determined to use his knee as an excuse to upgrade the incumbency of bay #3....who among us could deny him the temptation to experience the cruising luxury of 90+ HP, a 6th gear, or the pulling power of a Kenworth truck...??

Cept it dont look as good! :)

Old 04-28-2013, 12:18 PM   #55
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch View Post
Assuming you're referring to the "If you ride one, you'll buy one" quote, you might be surprised how true it is. I'm still not saying any of the Victorys are the perfect bike for everyone but if you're in the market for a luxotouringbarge (and not a sport tourer/cruiser/standard/dual sport/etc) and you keep an open mind, the chance is very good that you'd pony up the money for a Vic if you rode one. If you're into some other kind of bike (like I mentioned in the parentheses), a Vic may or may not be for you (although they DO have some nice cruisers). You happen to be satisfied with a sport touring bike so obviously a Victory wasn't an option for you. I can think of at least 4 of us here who "fell into" that very quote (Mike, Brad, Kris and myself). All it took any of us was a good test ride. I rode just under 400 miles yesterday (only stopping for gas/bathroom). I was comfortable and enjoying the entire ride, something I could never do on my Nomad. It was also something I couldn't have done with any other bike out there (I've either owned or ridden pretty much everything out there at one time or another). OTOH, what works for me (and what I need/want) isn't what works for someone else.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 04-28-2013, 12:27 PM   #56
Top Contributor

Quote:

Having said all that....the XC may or may not address the primary issue he was having with the Nomad....said problem being his knee. He is a sly devil though, and while I would not suggest he has determined to use his knee as an excuse to upgrade the incumbency of bay #3....who among us could deny him the temptation to experience the cruising luxury of 90+ HP, a 6th gear, or the pulling power of a Kenworth truck...??
I think the XC would definitely address the knee issue simply because of the low seat height and uber leg room. It's well balanced so he can stand up straight at a stop (or sit with his knees slightly bent) and he'd have the ability to either straighten out his leg(s) or tuck them under him (or anywhere in between) as he saw fit. The lack of being able to move my feet/legs around was one of the things that kept me off a Gold Wing.

As far as the Kenworth analogy. No kidding! The first time I was loping along @ 65 in 6th gear on a 2 lane and wanted to pass.....WTF?!? I looked down and I'm going 90! I couldn't believe the grunt from a 950 pound bike. You pass, you brake. If you don't brake once you're around whatever you're passing, you WILL get a ticket. :) And I giggle like a little girl every time I do it. (You and Brad know what I'm talking about.)
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2014 Nomad - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 04-28-2013, 12:41 PM   #57
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoeney View Post
I doubt it will be brand new. But new to me.
Brand new is overrated. I only bought my bike brand new because I'd never had a new vehicle and wanted just one in my life. I wouldn't do it again, no matter how much money I had. Financially, it's stupid to buy brand new. You lose 20% of the value as soon as you put the first mile on it. There are way too many excellent used bikes with low miles on them for 20-40% less than a new price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-...item27d21bc6c9
16k miles is NOTHING and that's 50% off.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2009-...item2ec7b19fd1
40% cheaper than MSRP.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2010-...item27d24cbca8
$3k worth of extras and still 40% cheaper.

There's just a few "deals" on used bikes. I only chose Victory because I know a little more about them than other bikes.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2014 Nomad - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 04-28-2013, 01:20 PM   #58
Sr. Contributor

I had an open mind as I test rode 3 other bikes. After the rt the vision was the best overall bike. I just couldn't get over the brakes on the vision. They weren't impressive at all and the storage was less than it appears. The xct wasn't out yet.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 04-28-2013, 02:08 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch View Post
I had to Google that. I did not know who that was. So which incantation are you referring?

I firmly believe that you live and learn, and if you don't learn from past mistakes, then you need to be drug out and shot..........????
VBA #659

Old 04-28-2013, 02:30 PM   #60

Quote:

Kris has not given me a Victory sales pitch but I think it is pretty obvious how happy all of the new Victory owners on the forum are with their new rides. Obviously all of them made a big investment in these purchases and I have got to know a couple of them over the years and know they did their homework (like I am doing) before they took the plunge.

That said there are a bunch of smart guys on this forum that have Nomads, Vaqueros, BMW's, ST1300's, etc. I think it reverts back to what I have posted previously. There are many great choices and I just need to find the one that fits my needs/desires the best. As stated by Kris mine may be be different from others

I really do like the feedback from everyone. It helps a great deal. I can weed out what is brand favoritism and what is good input. I don't begrudge anyone that wants to share how happy with they are with their bike. I did the same with my Nomad.

The beauty of it is....I don't think I could go too far wrong with any on my list. But I am getting close to a decision and hope to have it narrowed to one by the end of this week. If I can at least get it down to 2 choices I will let the "deal" dictate which way I go.

Regardless of what I do I know my knee will be happier and I won't have any problems keeping up with my buddies or passing cagers anymore
VBA #659

Closed Thread