Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 07-29-2012, 08:57 AM   #46
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho_greg View Post
For those with a car tire on the rear... Please assure me that the tire is ok.. Assure me that I can still turn the bike.. Assure me that the ride quality will stay in motorcycle character.. Assure me that I will not be scared to death when taking a turn...

I have been to 2 places to get the tire put on... one said that 195/55/16 isnt going to fit..??
Please tell me that size is a fitting size...

Both places said its not a good idea... \

I have been riding for quite a while and I say I can ride pretty well... So from experiences good riders could you tell a difference..

A Picture is worth a Thousand Words. They show the Contact Patch From the Car Tire being placed on the back with the Motorcycle Tire on the Front being off a full 1".

Causing Stress on the Complete Suspension (front and rear) and that of the Rider.

I have noticed that riders using the Car Tire adjust their riding skills for this modification, but what about long , long term effects on the integrity of the suspension.

Just does not make saving $ cents to me ?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by rolfe; 07-29-2012 at 09:25 AM.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:05 AM   #47
Top Contributor

That's a great illustration.......except it's wrong. The CT contact patch is MUCH greater than that in a lean. Follow a darkside bike some time. Or watch the numerous vids on YouTube. Or just keep a MC tire.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 07-29-2012, 11:25 AM   #48
Sr. Contributor

I am never going to back to a MC rear tire for the squiggles they make on a Nomad, never fight painted lines or cheese grader bridges again, no more wobbles on the interstate highway grind....

The pressue extra to turn feeling leaves in the first 20 minutes, and in that time you will begin to enjoy the stabily gained.

Of course you still need to observe the same cautions on paint wire bridges and etc, but handling is far improved.

I just caught that diagram and it is way out of line to what happens in reality. The reality is about 1/2 the read remain in ground contact turning, more than going in a straight line with a MC rear......

Before you can get a Nomad over far enough to get up on the sidewall you would be crashed, by hard parts anyway. So far I know of no way to lean past the floorboards stops.

Look around for pics of guys rear tires that are parked. You can see then about 1/2 the tread is in ground contact.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Last edited by macmac; 07-29-2012 at 11:31 AM.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:55 AM   #49
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho_greg View Post
One more thing that concerns me... went down a dirt road... scary... got home and my forearms felt like they had a workout... parked the.bike then thought im gonna shake the handlebars and see how stable the rear is... this bike shakes in the rear when i do that... its like the tire is just swaying... lol...
on the ride out of town i started feeling a lot better about it on pavement but that dirt is a killer...
What brand 195/55/16 are we talking about?

Are you sure the tire is wiggly or is the whole swingarm moving from SIDE TO SIDE?

if i can tell from the avatar pioc you have a 1500 Nomad...???

if you never had the swingarm serviced there is a good chance your swiing arm can move about 1/10th Inch!

if you want to see.... get the bike jacked up so the rear wheel is off the ground. Go to the right side (Intake throttle body)

get down near the swing arm and find the either black plastic cap or chrome one and with a large srew driver covered with a rag press it in between the frame and the swing arm and give a middlin heavt push.

next take the rag and clean the swing arm shaft peeking thru the swing arm seal, and clean it.

measure the gap as accurately as possible in 0.000,

also inspect the back of the seal. It should be coated in rubber and the rubber should look new, but it won't, and I suspect it will lool like bright shiney steel, because all the rubber has been worn off the seal back.

And then that will mean so is the other seal on the far side you can't see.

Next pull the swing arm back, just to feel it thunk over, and again shove it away, and take another measure.

If you want a real good measure begin to find shop junk that fits the space and use a caliper or mich on that.

Now don't bother with book spec's because there isn't any..... If these were Harleys the spec would be 0.002 inch...

1 thou free play after tightening to no free play or in other words we have no way to pre-load the bearings and adjust the swing arm, and the seals do it being wrongly used as thrust washers!

Incase you don't belive me, then go to the dealer, and ask how many swing arm serives they ever did. Of course the service manager will tell you he is too busy but they have done hundreds..

Then go to parts and ask to order 2 new seals and peek over at the computer, and you will porobably see no seal ever ordered once. Not ever...

I was asking the manager what pre-load was and he lied to me and only hours after I had done my first swing arm service. he made up names of parts that don't even exist. He had no clue about the swing arm at all.

I didn't bust him on it as i knew it would do no good... But i was sure looking hard at the seals as the parts guy was havin a bad time finding any on the diagram, and admitted they had never ordered any ever before.

If you have 1/10th in slop side to side that rear wheel will need to come down and the rest of the service get done.

There is a how to on that in the service part of this forum... Mostly all the labor is in cleaning old grease off... The rest is getting all dirty getting new greases on.. and inspecting the U joint.

And OH where I live it is 1/2 mile to the town road on dirt.... With my CT on I no longer ping rocks off into the woods, unless the ft tire grabs one.. here the driveway is always covered with lots and lots of pine needles too, and that rear CT just sweeps them away..... Then the town road is not much better all battered hunks of tar everywhichy way, and patched patches.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Last edited by macmac; 07-29-2012 at 11:58 AM.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:02 PM   #50

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC
It takes some getting use to. I had a wreck on my other Nomad and got another one with a bike tire on it and it took a while to get use to it again. I'm back to a car tire again, like it's suppose to have!!

I don't think you want to go with a run flat, but I believe Blowndodge mentioned his truck tire is so stiff he can run almost no pressure.

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-29-2012, 01:33 PM   #51

All I have to say is that, that is a bull shit picture!! The picture of the three tires is taken by just taking a tire off a shelf and positioning it at the three angles. Like people have said if this was on a bike you would see more tread contact to the road.... a lot more than what you get from a motorcycle tire.
VROC#34321
VBA#01867

2012 NCR Rally Savanna. IL.
2013 National Rally Estes Park, CO
2014 NC/SC Rally in the Ozarks, Mountain View AR
2014 NE US/Eastern Canada Rally,Lincoln NH
2015 VBA/VRA Eureka Springs AR
2015 Antlers Rally, Antlers OK.
2016 SCR Rally Salem MO.
2016 NCR Rally Hillsboro WI
2017 Eureka Springs AR
2017 National Rally Lake George NY
2004 Blue and Silver 1500 Nomad(RIP 9-26-19)
2000 Red and Silver 1500 Nomad
2012 Pearl White 1700 Voyager

Old 07-29-2012, 01:57 PM   #52
Advanced Member

Waving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasta View Post
All I have to say is that, that is a bull shit picture!! The picture of the three tires is taken by just taking a tire off a shelf and positioning it at the three angles. Like people have said if this was on a bike you would see more tread contact to the road.... a lot more than what you get from a motorcycle tire.

I just see and read up on the information and make my own opinion. Last time I heard Free Speech along with Freedom of the Press was a right I thought we all had. I still stand by the Pictures and Information Posted.

Maybe you should Design Car Tires for Motorcycles and Sell them ?

Old 07-29-2012, 02:12 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolfe View Post
I just see and read up on the information and make my own opinion. Last time I heard Free Speech along with Freedom of the Press was a right I thought we all had. I still stand by the Pictures and Information Posted.

The photos of the tires are bull crap!!!!
The side wall on a car tire is soft and it bends when the tire leans.
You cannot tell me that you have seen a car tire lean on its edge like the photo, its impossible,.........well maybe if it had 100 lbs of air in it!
Gess, I don't know why people have to post such garbage.
If a car tire isn't for,.............don't use it!
Simple
http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...n/Dark%20Side/

The best 'GPS' is a full tank of gas!

Wild Bill
A.K.A. Wild Bill,Pookers
KawaNOW #00906
VNOG # 030

Last edited by pooker; 07-29-2012 at 02:14 PM.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:15 PM   #54
Top Contributor

Quote:

Rolfe,

Follow a bike with a CT through some curves. There is much more contact with the ground than the pictures show.

Here are videos of ACTUAL contact patch on a bike. Not a posted picture of someone holding a tire at different angles.

(high pressure)
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Last edited by waterman; 07-29-2012 at 02:30 PM.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:16 PM   #55

Quote:

Don't need to design and manufacture.......already have hundreds to select from and work better than mc tires. Way better than your illustration suggest.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:33 PM   #56
Advanced Member

Interesting to me is 2nd picture talking about the Rear Car Tire and Front Motorcycle Tire and Pavement Contact. Show me facts ! If there is not a stress factor involved then why does everyone that uses the Car Tire have to change how they ride ?

Waterman thank you for the you tube video and have seen it. I really am not trying to cause an argument about this discussion. But when we are riding down in the Texas Hill Country we have many curves. Its just about 100 % safety for everyone including myself.

Last edited by rolfe; 07-29-2012 at 02:44 PM.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:29 PM   #57

Quote:
Interesting to me is 2nd picture talking about the Rear Car Tire and Front Motorcycle Tire and Pavement Contact. Show me facts ! If there is not a stress factor involved then why does everyone that uses the Car Tire have to change how they ride ?

Waterman thank you for the you tube video and have seen it. I really am not trying to cause an argument about this discussion. But when we are riding down in the Texas Hill Country we have many curves. Its just about 100 % safety for everyone including myself.
I've never changed the way I ride since I started using a car tire!
[/QUOTE]But when we are riding down in the Texas Hill Country we have many curves. Its just about 100 % safety for everyone including myself.[/QUOTE]
You cannot lean your cruiser in the curves enough to justify a motorcycle tire on the rear, unless your cruiser is a crotch rocket!!
If you are concerned about your safety then you must go slow in the curves as that is the safest way , so it wouldn't matter what tire you had on your bike.
When I ride I have a contact patch of 5-6 inches when I'm in a curve and my floor boards are scrapping!!!
You tell me?

Wild Bill
A.K.A. Wild Bill,Pookers
KawaNOW #00906
VNOG # 030

Old 07-29-2012, 03:32 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman View Post
Rolfe,

Follow a bike with a CT through some curves. There is much more contact with the ground than the pictures show.

Here are videos of ACTUAL contact patch on a bike. Not a posted picture of someone holding a tire at different angles.

(high pressure)

These videos look like the car tire is over inflated.
I run about 32 lbs cold and my tire has much more contact than the video.

Wild Bill
A.K.A. Wild Bill,Pookers
KawaNOW #00906
VNOG # 030

Old 07-29-2012, 03:55 PM   #59
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooker View Post
These videos look like the car tire is over inflated.
I run about 32 lbs cold and my tire has much more contact than the video.
Pooker, one of them stated that they were at 40 psi. I run at 28 to 30 and do fine.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 07-29-2012, 04:00 PM   #60
Top Contributor

Quote:
So the Texas Hill country has a corner on the market for curves? So the roads I ride in the Rockies, Black Hills, Ozarks, and Cascades must be straight as an arrow.
VBA 213
VROC 16913