Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 09-09-2011, 07:38 PM   #46

What does Ma Kaw need to do to keep us?

Affordable factory Goodies would be a plus for me. I do wonder sometimes if Kawasaki (& Honda) along with the dealers really care if they are in the cruiser market or not. Seems like both makes have really trimmed allot of models. That said the Vulcan Nation tour was at least an indication they do.
Would also be nice if they had some more variety of colors to choose from as well.
VBA #01806
Central IL Vulcan Riders

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-09-2011, 07:44 PM   #47
Sr. Contributor

Larger fuel tank, lots more pep, ABS and better ergos for tall folk. A quick detach topcase would be nice too.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 09-09-2011, 08:21 PM   #48

I have often wondered why other manufacturers have not done more to take market share from HD. Perhaps now it is the economy thus the reason for all the model slashing I mentioned earlier. In Victory's case perhaps they just dont have the resources. Maybe the dealer networks for other brands are resistant to becoming boutique apparel dealers and promoting or sponsoring events and rides. Of course like someone else mentioned Ma Kaw does allot more than motorcycles just like Honda now.
I will say there is a pride of ownership & comradere I have sensed amongst Vulcan owners more so than what I have encountered with owners of other asian brands. (at least on most of the online forums)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubbs
Personally I dont think Ma Kaw cares one way or the other if anyone stays. They at one time were able to draw new owners by offering a good product at a reasonable price. Now they offer a good, not great but good product at nearly the same price as an HD. I realize that everyone does not like HD but they have a pretty loyal (although at times snobbish and Ahole) following.
In my opinion HD did it right, they market like crazy, they offer a good product with an endless supply of aftermarket goodies and factory offerings.
I think that Ma Kaw needs to take some lessons from HD in this area and then perhaps some of these vendors would start catering to us instead of shunning us.
VBA #01806
Central IL Vulcan Riders

Old 09-09-2011, 09:13 PM   #49

A near by comonality. . . I've been in a lot of Asian MC dealerships that concentrate on off road, ATV, and moto-cross. HD doesn't hunt that that bird.

2006 Vulcan 1600 Classic "George III" (Patricia's)
2006 Vulcan 1600 Nomad "Grace" (Mark's)
Mark Clark
VBA #1619
TaibhseDaid@Gmail.Com
"Irish" @ Maricopa County Chapter of B.A.C.A.
Phoenix, AZ

Old 09-09-2011, 11:34 PM   #50

We've got solid bang for the buck. don't compete with Harley and their inflated prices.

Robert(skeeter)Dozier
07 Red&Titanium Nomad
81 Suzuki 850GL
KawaNow pre#

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-10-2011, 05:48 AM   #51
Sr. Contributor

Just a thought about apparel and accessories.
With the internet sales a click away and people buying most of their purchases there. It's probably hard for a dealer to order in apparel and chrome do-dads and show case it, then dust it off frequently. If that is the case, they aren't ordering from the manufacturers, and the manufacturers aren't going to play a losing game for long.
If we don't have a selection available from the dealers / manufacturers, it's our own fault.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 09-10-2011, 07:13 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat (TC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by captj3

Since I just bought a new nomad Ma Kaw just sent me a survey to complete. It took me at least 30min to do. I was very detailed with my answers. When I made negative comments they wanted a very detailed answer to each item. In the end I told them I hope this doesn't fall on deaf ears and they should make the improvements to capture more of the Harley market. It's all about dollars and cents in the end. I wonder if they will actually contact me after reading my survey?
Here is the problem with that.
#1 If you just bought the Nomad you probably haven't riddin it enough to really know what needs changing and what does not.
#2 You may want a faring, I hate them. You may want tunes,I want to concentrate on what I am doing. You may want a trunk, I think they look dumb on a Nomad. You may want ABS, I want to control both my front and rear brake separately and if I have to lock them up I want to be able to.
So if you are listening MaKaw, phone me and I will tell you what everybody would like to see on the 2012 Nomad.

This not necessarily true TC. Stuff like trunks, fairings...ect are options. My focus was on the mechanical end. Just because I have it for a couple of months with 2500 miles doesn't mean I can't figure it out! ::)

2012 Vaquero
1700 Nomad
(Deceased)
Cobra Tri-Ovals
Racnrays Invention (Throttle Mod)
Ivan's flash
Thunder Tornado Big Air Kit

Old 09-10-2011, 08:06 AM   #53
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by loafer
Just a thought about apparel and accessories.
With the internet sales a click away and people buying most of their purchases there. It's probably hard for a dealer to order in apparel and chrome do-dads and show case it, then dust it off frequently. If that is the case, they aren't ordering from the manufacturers, and the manufacturers aren't going to play a losing game for long.
If we don't have a selection available from the dealers / manufacturers, it's our own fault.
The same goes for bikes themselves. I can find deals on the internet for bikes that are better than local. Is it worth the travel to buy it? At some point it is, as in whose pocket is the money better off? I have to wonder in my case if some of the local places have figured that out in terms of the internet. HD is an exception. It seems they pretty much lock in at MSRP or better so it makes no difference where you buy it.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Old 09-10-2011, 08:42 AM   #54
Sr. Contributor

Yes you can buy a new bike online and travel for it. I don't see that happening as often as apparel and accessories. Most shops around here carry enough for the first time buyer, who isn't clued in yet. Thats why the rally vendors with rolling showrooms do so well when they come.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 09-10-2011, 09:05 AM   #55

I'm all for supporting my local dealer.....but, when I can't get anything but a custom made gasket, lubricants, wax or maybe a tire something is wrong. When I go in for an oil filter or a simple component like exhaust gaskets I'm not expecting to wait a week. I've told my dealer's parts help if I have to wait 5 to 7 days I can order it too. Sorry for the dealer rant; just my deal, it pushes my button. It is not just me, cuz my dealer handles Suzuki, Can Am, etc. A friend with Suzuki's (C50s) has complained they never have his filters. Recently he needed a headlight trim bezel..............and "we"ll have to order it" was the response.
VBA #1047
07 Electra Glide Ultra (43,300 & counting)
03 Nomad - 37,972 (traded 5/6/13)
99 Nomad - Only a memory since 4/27/13

Old 09-10-2011, 09:11 AM   #56
Mega-Contributor

HD is trying to crack down on dealers who sell discounted parts on the internet. Zanotti's and Latus are 2 that come to mind. Dealers who do not sell online, which is most of them - are complaining about losing sales to a handful of online dealers.

If I can save 25% on HD parts and accessories by ordering online, that's what I'm going to do. HD has a rope around the necks of their dealers that most other brands do not.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 09-10-2011, 09:30 AM   #57

This rope you speak of?
What do they do, pull the franchise of dealers who don't fall in line with the corporate mandates?
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 09-10-2011, 09:38 AM   #58
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat (TC)
This rope you speak of?
What do they do, pull the franchise of dealers who don't fall in line with the corporate mandates?
Yes, I believe that's the leverage they use.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 09-10-2011, 10:58 AM   #59

HD can and does close dealers that "walk outside the line"; and or have too many customer complaints.

I filed an official complaint with HD headquarters in Milwaukee about my last escapade with my dealer. They give you a complaint number and the dealer is notified of the complaint and you receive notice they have been notified. The dealer has a chance to contact you to correct the problem. My dealer did not; thus they remain @sses in my mind and on my permanent boycott list (Kegal HD; Rockford, IL "the oldest dealer in the world"). I can tell you... HD headquarters and the dealer do not like to get these because they can add-up and hurt the dealer on many levels -- to include closing them if it gets real bad.

The HD dealer in Waynesville, NC (near Maggie Valley) was shut-down for too many complaints and violations of their franchise agreement. There have been two in nearby areas of where I live that have also been closed over the last few years.

When they close a dealer it is similar to when the FDIC closes a bank -- HD comes-in with their people and take over the entire facility. They account-for and/or remove inventory (all inventory), they remove all signage inside and out, and take business records to assure they receive any money due them. It is quite an operation.

However, most dealers being closed-down know it is about to happen and take advance action to hide or take anything they can first -- except for signage which always remains the property of HD. Then the dealer just lets the courts determine "what they owe" HD.

Kawasaki doesn't have quite the hammer over their dealers.

As was mentioned... I believe a modular approach to a couple tourer frame platforms would be their best bet. Dealers could have a "fit-shop" system whereby they could add different features and mods to these frames until the customer determines which they would prefer. Then the dealer could order the frame, features, and mods for the customer.

The customer would then be able to get the bike "they" want. HD has this in most all of their larger dealers and it works very well for them. They sell a lot of bikes that are non-standard issue by doing this and to a lot more people that don't think the standard models fit them.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 09-10-2011, 11:03 AM   #60
Sr. Contributor

I don't support my local dealer when they want $1-2K or more for a bike than I can get elsewhere. That is the breaking point for me. The atitude is that they have a captive market that has no choice. Again, where is my money better off? Businesses that do not adapt to the new model, which is the internet, then they will go away eventually. Competition isn't only next door, it's across the country. This is a good thing for the consumer.

As far as HD goes, their model works well for the dealers. Like we've discussed, then there are the service plans they sell on top of MSRP and sometimes plus dealer convenience fees. To me, that's quite a buy in to own american.

After owning a BMW and seeing other business models, whatever my next bike will be, it won't be one whose manufacturer has a business model that promotes or tries to force owners to be dependent on dealers. I'll also say there is nothing fundamentally wrong with most bikes made today. I might buy an HD if it was cheaper, but the TCO is more than I want to spend.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT