Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 08-15-2016, 09:33 PM   #31

I have noticed what u guys are talking about with the jerky throttle for some time now -- mostly after ivans -- got scarey a few times in creepy turns even with no traffic -- my 010 nomad felt like a miss 1-3 times real fast just above idle when taking off from stop slowly or in a parking lot situation 1 st gear -- could take off faster and not notice it -- feels like a throttle position sensor issue to me but cant prove it without replacing throttle body ----- I put my processor back on to add a little fuel but did not have any good effect - engine did not want more fuel so that was eliminated -- removed the throttle mod and that improved it but can tell the issue is still there but is easier to deal with --- all the basic things check good --- wonder if others having same issue --- seems to be a throttle position issue not r p m with no load on engine

in my earlier conversation with ivan he said he did not change total timing just the curve -- it advances quicker to compliment the richer mixture -- more power faster

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by UNCLE WILLIE; 08-15-2016 at 09:41 PM.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:14 AM   #32
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCLE WILLIE View Post
I have noticed what u guys are talking about with the jerky throttle for some time now -- mostly after ivans -- got scarey a few times in creepy turns even with no traffic
I believe this is what is going on:

1) Fully stock it is really bad with the jerkyness at low speeds.
2) The throttle mod makes is better but not perfect.
3) The ECU flash makes it better but not perfect.
4) ECU plus throttle mod is better than 1, but worse than 2 or 3.

So I don't see a full solution, we just pick the lesser of evils and go with it.

Old 08-17-2016, 04:41 AM   #33
Advanced Member

Throttle grip clearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCLE WILLIE View Post
I have noticed what u guys are talking about with the jerky throttle for some time now -- mostly after ivans -- got scarey a few times in creepy turns even with no traffic -- my 010 nomad felt like a miss 1-3 times real fast just above idle when taking off from stop slowly or in a parking lot situation 1 st gear -- could take off faster and not notice it -- feels like a throttle position sensor issue to me but cant prove it without replacing throttle body ----- I put my processor back on to add a little fuel but did not have any good effect - engine did not want more fuel so that was eliminated -- removed the throttle mod and that improved it but can tell the issue is still there but is easier to deal with --- all the basic things check good --- wonder if others having same issue --- seems to be a throttle position issue not r p m with no load on engine

in my earlier conversation with ivan he said he did not change total timing just the curve -- it advances quicker to compliment the richer mixture -- more power faster

Check the clearance between the throttle grip and the handlebar. Mine had .030" clearance.

Thats a lot of movement for this kind of setup. Every time you blink or run over a bump those cables are being pulled on. The ECU doesn't know any better. It just sees input resulting in jerky throttle control.

I wrapped some black electrical tape around the handlebar in two spots. Made two layers. Stopped the problem.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Old 08-17-2016, 04:44 AM   #34
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonik View Post
I believe this is what is going on:

1) Fully stock it is really bad with the jerkyness at low speeds.
2) The throttle mod makes is better but not perfect.
3) The ECU flash makes it better but not perfect.
4) ECU plus throttle mod is better than 1, but worse than 2 or 3.

So I don't see a full solution, we just pick the lesser of evils and go with it.
You also need to take into consideration the backlash in the transmission gears and shafts. That all adds up and will make things jump around. Just the nature of the beast on this part of the problem.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Last edited by Snake Ranch; 08-18-2016 at 03:15 PM.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:58 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Ranch View Post
Check the clearance between the throttle grip and the handlebar. Mine had .030" clearance.

Thats a lot of movement for this kind of setup. Every time you blink or run over a bump those cables are being pulled on. The ECU doesn't know any better. It just sees input resulting in jerky throttle control.

I wrapped some black electrical tape around the handlebar in two spots. Made two layers. Stopped the problem.
understand what u guys are talking about but throttle grip slop or trans backlash will not make the engine miss -- this feels just like a bad plug-or wire but with little or no load -- static test says everything ok -- I have even made it happen sitting still at just the right throttle opening -- will re think and do more testing later

Login or Register to Remove Ads