Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 09-08-2015, 09:18 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl1952 View Post
Well CBO
You planted a seed and it grew. I went to the local used motorcycle shop and wheeled and sealed myself into a new purchase also. I bought a 2013 FB6 with 5700 miles on it. I like it a lot. It doesn't have some of the new features like yours but I do have the passenger backrest fog lights and a taller vented front windshield. It was considerably less than a new one. Im not much for buying new Al
How you liking the new ride?? A couple of dealers around here had some leftovers but the new 15 blue color really looks good, some of the included features are not real important but demand has brought them onto the new models. Like cruise, I use it but could care less if it had it, heated grips, if I need those it's time to put it away.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-08-2015, 09:40 PM   #32
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
Improvements to the current Gold Wing would increase the price of an already very costly motorcycle.

I don't think Honda has to keep up with improvements to an Ultra.
Different customer base.
Not true. The K bike is more advanced and costs in the same ballpark as does the Limited and the Roadmaster which have newer technology.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 09-08-2015, 09:41 PM   #33
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBO Vaquero View Post
I'm not getting into this.....your starting to sound like a broken advertisement record for beemer.
Actually, if you read what I wrote, you might infer that I actually wish Honda would have a competitive product. If they did, I'd probably buy it as was the case with Kawasaki. I am not alone on this forum about that.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Old 09-09-2015, 06:18 AM   #34
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch View Post
Not true. The K bike is more advanced and costs in the same ballpark as does the Limited and the Roadmaster which have newer technology.
I am not sure how this relates to my statement ?

Old 09-09-2015, 07:02 AM   #35

The BMW is a nice bike but it doesn't carry the reputation as the Goldwing. The Goldwing has is the king of touring when it comes to motorcycles. Every other manufacturer is trying to play catch up. Hands down, you can't beat a Goldwing in my opinion

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-09-2015, 09:23 AM   #36
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
I am not sure how this relates to my statement ?
I guess you don't understand what you wrote.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 09-09-2015, 09:29 AM   #37
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhobbs74 View Post
The BMW is a nice bike but it doesn't carry the reputation as the Goldwing. The Goldwing has is the king of touring when it comes to motorcycles. Every other manufacturer is trying to play catch up. Hands down, you can't beat a Goldwing in my opinion
And when was the last time you rode a K1600? The gold wind is probably more comfortable for a pillion, I will give you that and has fewer problems in terms of reliability, but for the rider, from a performance/function standpoint, it's not true. Join the K1600 forum and read it. Lots of converts from Goldwing and HD. Not too many go back and ones that do change usually want a lighter bike and some go to the RT.

As I wrote, I wish Honda would update the bike. I like Japanese reliability, but the big 4 don't make something I would buy. It's a failing that they don't recognize changing trends and standards and move with it. It's like selling a CD walkman when there are iPods available.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 09-09-2015, 12:54 PM   #38

Quote:
And when was the last time you rode a K1600? The gold wind is probably more comfortable for a pillion, I will give you that and has fewer problems in terms of reliability, but for the rider, from a performance/function standpoint, it's not true. Join the K1600 forum and read it. Lots of converts from Goldwing and HD. Not too many go back and ones that do change usually want a lighter bike and some go to the RT.

As I wrote, I wish Honda would update the bike. I like Japanese reliability, but the big 4 don't make something I would buy. It's a failing that they don't recognize changing trends and standards and move with it. It's like selling a CD walkman when there are iPods available.
Funny you should mention that riders are switching to BMW's because my Honda dealer has a BMW that got traded in for a new Goldwing. The salesman said they wish they hadn't done the deal because they can't get rid of it, it's a K1200GT i'll admit it looks good but there are no dealers around for them and super expensive to service that's why they can't sell it. I think he said they was going to ebay it.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:28 PM   #39
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Funny you should mention that riders are switching to BMW's because my Honda dealer has a BMW that got traded in for a new Goldwing. The salesman said they wish they hadn't done the deal because they can't get rid of it, it's a K1200GT i'll admit it looks good but there are no dealers around for them and super expensive to service that's why they can't sell it. I think he said they was going to ebay it.
That's an 8 year old bike and a sport tourer at that. It wouldn't be my first or second choice...Or third. BMW dealers I go to have some HDs for sure and older BMWs. Lots of folks are trading their old RTs for the new one. It's supposed to be very good.

The best part of looking for a new bike is the test rides. I would never buy a bike without test riding one and if it is a good bike, it'll sell itself, especially if the test ride is more than a few miles. Dealer policies seem to be all over the place, but in general, BMW has demo bikes to take out and they can be ridden. I had to put gas in mine I rode it so much. The HD dealer, nope. Follow the salesman 4 miles and if I wanted more I had to rent it for a day. BMW/Victory dealer tossed the keys and said have fun. Did the same with the Vision. I wish they all were like that.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 09-09-2015, 03:05 PM   #40

Quote:
How you liking the new ride?? A couple of dealers around here had some leftovers but the new 15 blue color really looks good, some of the included features are not real important but demand has brought them onto the new models. Like cruise, I use it but could care less if it had it, heated grips, if I need those it's time to put it away.
CBO
So far I love it. It was used with 5K on it. Had an upgrade windshield fog lights and backrest on it. They also had one with less than 200 miles on it. But they gave me what within 500 of what I paid for the Vaquero 4 months ago. I didn't think the trade would be that close. So I went ahead and jumped on it. I have a real good Honda dealership within 1/2 mile of my house so I have no worries for service. But I do a lot of that on my own. Like you Cruise control and even abs brakes aren't a deal breaker for me. This wing stops on a dime. Heated grips there again not a deal breaker. I'm not as good as I once was in the cold. All these high tech add ons mean one thing to me more things to go wrong. The 1600 BMW is a nice bike. I've never owned one but until BMW gets a network of dealers like Honda I doubt I ever will. I've read with all the high tech on that bike there having issues with some of the electronics dependability. To each there own and the dealers for BMW in my area suck. The Goldwing FB6 doesn't need 6th gear I think the Honda techs have it figured out. Those engines last a long time and there are a bunch of them out there with a lot of miles on them. Horsepower is nice but it isn't everything. Al

Once I was young and now I am old and everything in the middle went way to damn fast

Old 09-09-2015, 05:04 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl1952 View Post
CBO
So far I love it. It was used with 5K on it. Had an upgrade windshield fog lights and backrest on it. They also had one with less than 200 miles on it. But they gave me what within 500 of what I paid for the Vaquero 4 months ago. I didn't think the trade would be that close. So I went ahead and jumped on it. I have a real good Honda dealership within 1/2 mile of my house so I have no worries for service. But I do a lot of that on my own. Like you Cruise control and even abs brakes aren't a deal breaker for me. This wing stops on a dime. Heated grips there again not a deal breaker. I'm not as good as I once was in the cold. All these high tech add ons mean one thing to me more things to go wrong. The 1600 BMW is a nice bike. I've never owned one but until BMW gets a network of dealers like Honda I doubt I ever will. I've read with all the high tech on that bike there having issues with some of the electronics dependability. To each there own and the dealers for BMW in my area suck. The Goldwing FB6 doesn't need 6th gear I think the Honda techs have it figured out. Those engines last a long time and there are a bunch of them out there with a lot of miles on them. Horsepower is nice but it isn't everything. Al
Good to hear! I also got a fair trade for my Vaquero and they gave me about 3k more than the other dealer offered but it was against a new one verses a 13 leftover so maybe there was just not much room left to deal on the 13. My dealer has already sold my trade in!! The color on the F6B was the deal breaker for me, I just couldn't like that red. I told them if they could track down a yellow 14 maybe we could deal but they told me all the leftover 14's in yellow were on the west coast. I had the dealer throw in the tall windshield because I knew it was gonna be needed. My bike is 9 days old now with over 1300 miles on already, I just can't stop riding it! Stay in touch.....

Old 09-09-2015, 05:55 PM   #42

Quote:
My bike is 9 days old now with over 1300 miles on already, I just can't stop riding it!

Good to see you stopped long enough to post your ole mates a note!

Ride safe!

Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Old 09-09-2015, 06:15 PM   #43
Top Contributor

Quote:
I guess you don't understand what you wrote.

This is what I wrote.

Different customer base.

This is what you wrote.

I guess what I was trying to say was a Honda Gold Wing does not have to compete with improvements made to a Harley Davidson Ultra.

Where did the K bike, Limited and Roadmaster come into the discussion ?

Last edited by redjay; 09-09-2015 at 06:23 PM.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:01 PM   #44
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
This is what I wrote.

Different customer base.

This is what you wrote.

I guess what I was trying to say was a Honda Gold Wing does not have to compete with improvements made to a Harley Davidson Ultra.

Where did the K bike, Limited and Roadmaster come into the discussion ?
And I stand by my statements. Anyone who is looking at touring bikes will have all of the above on the list to start out with. I owned a Nomad and ended up with a BMW. I did try a Vision, Voyager and Ultra too. FWIW, I said Roadmaster too.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 09-09-2015, 08:09 PM   #45
Top Contributor

Sorry but the Roadmaster looks hideous to me.

There would only be 2 bikes on my shortlist if I were in the market for a new bike,
a Goldwing or a Victory Cross Country.

Last edited by redjay; 09-09-2015 at 08:12 PM.