Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 10-12-2011, 08:13 PM   #31

Razz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
You misunderstood. Nothing stupid about that temp, just my limit. Riding on ice/snow is stupid. You don't get any traction with 4 wheels. What makes anyone think they'll get traction on just 2.
When I was your age we rode motorcycles with car tires! And we rode through ............!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-13-2011, 12:03 AM   #32

Smile Battery

I think I will take it out and just trickle charge it with a battery tender through out the winter. I read somewhere your power commander will have to have the program dumped back in it come summer, not sure how accurate that info is though. Thanks for all the imput..

Old 10-13-2011, 04:44 AM   #33
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacon View Post
When I was your age we rode motorcycles with car tires! And we rode through ............!
In 1944? Uphill both ways? After milking 200 cows? Barefoot? :) :)
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 10-13-2011, 03:12 PM   #34
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
I take the battery off the bike when it goes into storage here in Southern Ontario. I have no access to the bike in the winter. I put the battery in the basement and trickle charge it once a month.
I do what you do. I don't have winter access to the trailer since the snow is way to deep to shovel out. I bring in the seats too. The vinals don't like real cold weather a bit. That sort of cold causes the stitches to pull overly hard on the vinals. The same for real leather.

The bike sweats bad in the trailer too. I clean it well before it goes in, and then I wax it leaving the wax on to turn white for all winter. To get that off I wax the whole thing again in Spring. That's it though, no more real cleanings till Spring, other than dead bigs off the screen.

I leave the bike preety loose on tie downs in there. I rodent proof the exhaust and intake, but so far no rodents have gained access to the trailer. I use no cover to let the sweating drip to the floor...

I would do this all different if I was storing in a bulding.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 10-13-2011, 03:21 PM   #35
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dholmer View Post
Thanks for all the replies to my question. Sorry, I think I have fixed the part that shows I live in Utah when I post, we'll see. Anyway, my problem is even though I have a battery tender, I dont have a way to plug it in this year. The place I live currently does not have any electricity in the garage that I am renting out... That is why I asked if it hurt to just bring them inside for the winter...
I would bring that battery indoors and plug it in behind a chair in the living room if there is no better place.

If i owned this place I would park the Nomad smack dead center in the living room as a coffee table show piece. But then my wife knows anyplaces I live are nothing but factories. If she didn't like that idea I would be swelling my tomahawks in the toilet.

A bed to me is just another workbench for painting bike parts on, or taping on, and the shower is a paint booth.

Here's proof:
The shower I painted Liberty in

The bed

Another on the bed

Liberty done and outside to play

What you don't see unless you walk up for a better look.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by macmac; 10-13-2011 at 03:48 PM.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:50 PM   #36

Mac

Ref winter storage

You said

"I would do this all different if I was storing in a bulding."

I am all ears, what would you do.

ABTW, outstanding art work on the gas tank

Old 10-13-2011, 08:06 PM   #37

Mac, beautiful work on the tank!

Gene Chestnut
Dover, DE
USAF 1968-1995
VBA#01761
2007 Nomad 1600
Black and Titanium

Old 10-13-2011, 08:37 PM   #38
Sr. Contributor

I did that paint in 02 asap after 9-11. When the Nomad speaks to me one day it will get paint.

In a building would depend on the building. The more air the better, the warmer the better. In a typical garage i would clean it polish it and do every bit of maint to be done long before Spring. I may cover it with a dust cover and I for sure would not stuff it in a corner near shelves due to things can fall.

I would not need worry about sweating or condensation. Out of sun light is better, but some north light is best. A steady 50 to 55 degrees would be good and in a dry place nothing above 50 % humidity. Clean polished and ready to go.

My trailer isn't bad, but it isn't great for long term winter NH winter storage. Mainly due to the wild temp changes and I can't access the doors after snow well.

A part of that is the snow. To get this place in shape after a snow can take 2 full days, and by the end of that I am beat. That counts cleaning off rooves and one is the trailer. The snow gets over the bottom of the trailer doors to the point I loose access. We can have around 6 feet 6 inches of snow on the un-plowed flat and level and I can't keep up with the snow around the trailer a bit.

There is 3 trucks, 1 car , one van and the trailer to get cleared off and I tend to loose the van too. Then the barn roof and the shed roof, sometimes the 12 12 pitch house rooves.. The drive way is 1/2 mile from the hose to the street, then there is the field a place to put all the snow.....

So most any building would be better, even the barn, but big projects happen in the barn and the bike would have no place to get moved to if i could.

Last winter 3 commercial belt grinders weighting over 2 tons each were rebuilt there, and the bike would have been covered in grinding dust and welding slag. The summer before a oven was built in the barn over 40 feet long 6 feet wide and 6 feet tall with a converor belt running thru all 3 ovens. The barn is 36 feet long....

This past summer was a little slow and so the bike was in there and is right now, and might be till first salt. The cold is no problem, that road salt is.

Like I said if I had my own place the Nomad would sit side by side with Liberty in the middle of the living room.

I lived in an other place back when I painted Liberty too. It was a barn loft apt. Liberty had a shed there. Today Liberty is high and dry outside the bed room door. If I had room in here Liberty would be in here., and my wife would like it.

Speaking of my wife, she is the one who drew Liberty for me. She also helped me get the tape right. Liberty is one of 10 hand drawn sketches, and i just selected the one I liked best. The stars and stripes just happened as they happened. If you count clear coat there is 8 colors.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 10-13-2011, 08:41 PM   #39
Sr. Contributor

This is funny......

When I saw this I got scared thinking I messed up

But when I saw this I knew it would work

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Last edited by macmac; 10-13-2011 at 08:44 PM.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:57 PM   #40
Sr. Contributor

Bill, that's awesome!
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 10-13-2011, 09:40 PM   #41

You guys should see it in person. They did a great job on it.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 10-14-2011, 02:43 AM   #42
Top Contributor

Mac -- First, THAT'S F***IN' AWESOME!!! Second, I've parked scoots in the middle of the living room. I pretty much lost my 3rd ex over a 1400 Intruder I parked in the middle of the living room. (I have my priorities.) I rent but if I could fit the Nomad through the door, I'd put it in the living room this year. Way too many projects to do in the unheated (but attached...it's a start) garage. Might have to hunt for a big electric heater.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 10-14-2011, 08:41 AM   #43
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
Mac -- First, THAT'S F***IN' AWESOME!!! Second, I've parked scoots in the middle of the living room. I pretty much lost my 3rd ex over a 1400 Intruder I parked in the middle of the living room. (I have my priorities.) I rent but if I could fit the Nomad through the door, I'd put it in the living room this year. Way too many projects to do in the unheated (but attached...it's a start) garage. Might have to hunt for a big electric heater.

Yeah you seem to be the hard core type, that would park a bike over winter in the living room Don't get hot with me as I would to, and have done so in the past.

My current Bride knows I will soak tomahawks in the toliet if there is any form of disagreements. Tomahawks need occasional swelling anyway right ?

This is about 1/10th of my modest collection.

I hear ya on un-heated too. I figure un-heated is good for me. I can't say I enjoy it any.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Last edited by macmac; 10-14-2011 at 08:45 AM.