Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-10-2008, 09:35 PM   #31

Fiction or Fact

I agree with Dan. One of the reasons a Nomad is such a good value is that it only comes one way. Even the paint choices have been minimal from year to year. That's how you make money on a production line and every low-volume option adds a lot more than you'd think to the manufacturing cost.

Floor space in a factory is expensive, logistics are critically tight, and you have to have an area dedicated to make or recieve, store, feed in, and install each of these options. For low volume options they are not usually installed on the main production line, because it would slow the whole line down for the 90% of the bikes that are still all made identical.

You must pull a bike off the line, possibly before it's really finished, and add the options, then maybe feed it back into the line to finish it off. Crating operations would be different and that slows things down too. It not only adds to the cost of the bike with options, you see, but it increases the cost of every bike that comes off the line without options too.

This is why so many options are "dealer installed" parts. It makes the options cost even more, but the basic production bikes cost less. If fairings and trunks were to be offered as options, they would almost certainly be dealer installed.

This is something Henry Ford and Eli Whitney figured out ages ago: the cheapest way by far is to make ever part and every machine identical.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-10-2008, 09:39 PM   #32

Fiction or Fact

There have been rumours of a New Voyager. For those wanting cruise control, I have recently installed a http://www.brakeawayproducts.com/ Throttle Lock which is well designed and works well as an alternative. 2007 Nomad.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:00 AM   #33
VBA Founder

Fiction or Fact

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddmannq
I agree with Dan. One of the reasons a Nomad is such a good value is that it only comes one way. Even the paint choices have been minimal from year to year. That's how you make money on a production line and every low-volume option adds a lot more than you'd think to the manufacturing cost.

Floor space in a factory is expensive, logistics are critically tight, and you have to have an area dedicated to make or recieve, store, feed in, and install each of these options. For low volume options they are not usually installed on the main production line, because it would slow the whole line down for the 90% of the bikes that are still all made identical.

You must pull a bike off the line, possibly before it's really finished, and add the options, then maybe feed it back into the line to finish it off. Crating operations would be different and that slows things down too. It not only adds to the cost of the bike with options, you see, but it increases the cost of every bike that comes off the line without options too.

This is why so many options are "dealer installed" parts. It makes the options cost even more, but the basic production bikes cost less. If fairings and trunks were to be offered as options, they would almost certainly be dealer installed.

This is something Henry Ford and Eli Whitney figured out ages ago: the cheapest way by far is to make ever part and every machine identical.
What you mention Cadd is totally true. That's why I advocate keeping the current 1600 Nomad the way it is and adding a second, more decked out, Nomad as an option.

If you take a look, almost every V2K owner has bought hard bags and fitted their V2K out like a Nomad. That should tell somebody something?

Everything that you guys list in this thread is exactly what I'm talking about......it's good info and feedback that Kawa Corp can use in making the Nomad a better product.

Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Old 08-11-2008, 11:17 AM   #34

Send a message via MSN to scion0
Fiction or Fact

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Quote:
You should have told those guys to read KawaNOW if they really want to know what to build.
Yep. It makes you wonder who they do their market research with?

I'm sure there's at least one automaker that still builds cars with cassette players, too. I haven't even seen an audio cassette in probably 20 years. I rented a 2005 Dodge a few years ago and it had a cassette player in it.

Do the people who design stuff like motorcycles and cars actually do research to find out what the people who would buy their products actually want? I've always wondered about that. I'm sure they do, considering the money it must cost to develop something like that. But you gotts wonder who they talk to. Have the guys who designed the Nomad seat ever sat on one?
Good point.... Maybe we need to start a dialogue with them.... I think we need a volunteer!

Mike
"Scion0"
VBA#: 0097
Former VBA North Central Asst Regional Leader
St Jude Rides Peoria to Memphis Rider
Retired MSgt, USAF (1979 -99)
"Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff!"
Current ride: 2012 H-D Ultra FLHTCU (Black)
Past ride: 2007 Black Nomad

Old 08-11-2008, 11:22 AM   #35

Fiction or Fact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
Quote:

What you mention Cadd is totally true. That's why I advocate keeping the current 1600 Nomad the way it is and adding a second, more decked out, Nomad as an option.

If you take a look, almost every V2K owner has bought hard bags and fitted their V2K out like a Nomad. That should tell somebody something?

Everything that you guys list in this thread is exactly what I'm talking about......it's good info and feedback that Kawa Corp can use in making the Nomad a better product.
I think Trip is the volunteer! Has anyone ever written MaKaw with suggestions? Just curious.

Mike
"Scion0"

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-11-2008, 11:33 AM   #36
Mega-Contributor

Fiction or Fact

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris
There have been rumours of a New Voyager. For those wanting cruise control, I have recently installed a http://www.brakeawayproducts.com/ Throttle Lock which is well designed and works well as an alternative. 2007 Nomad.
That's a throttle lock, not a true cruise control. If someone wants a real cruise control I don't think a throttle lock is a decent alternative. That's like wanting air conditioning in your car and they give you a crank to roll the windows down instead.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 08-11-2008, 11:52 AM   #37

Fiction or Fact

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezer
what happens to this board when they discontinue the Nomad?
Don't even think that! I can't believe you would even say that out loud.

Shame on you beezer.
KawaNOW
"Where Riding A Nomad Is KawaNOW And FOREVER"

Old 08-11-2008, 12:05 PM   #38

Fiction or Fact

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris
That's a throttle lock, not a true cruise control. If someone wants a real cruise control I don't think a throttle lock is a decent alternative. That's like wanting air conditioning in your car and they give you a crank to roll the windows down instead.
I use my throttle lock to adjust my helmet, take a picture, unzip a jacket, etc. What I really want is to be able to set the cruise for 80mph and have it keep that speed on hills and everything.

A lot of times I wouldn't need one at all. But sometimes on fairly light traffic freeway rides, I have a hard time not going 90mph. Setting a cruise would be nice at those times.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:44 PM   #39
Top Contributor

Fiction or Fact

Scion0, that's a good idea, writing to MaKaw. I know it's been something we've always wanted to do. What would you think about working on something like that?
VBA #0002
VBA VP-Global
B.A.C.A. Hoss
2005 "StrongBear" Black/Silver

Todd and BD

Old 08-11-2008, 01:27 PM   #40
VBA Founder

Fiction or Fact

Actually, it's tougher than you think to get into Makaw. I have emailed them with no success. Chuck Burt, who knew several of the Reps tried to let them know about KawaNOW, but they seem to turn their heads. I think, in time, KawaNOW will get into their radar, but for now, I don't think they're interested.

KawaNOW probably needs to get bigger and possess more kawa consumer power before they will listen.

Be rest assured that I am trying to get into Kawasaki at every chance I get.

Just my 2 centavos worth.
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Old 08-11-2008, 01:30 PM   #41

Fiction or Fact

With the popularity of the Nomad and the number of people that have dressed them out it seems like a no brainer for them to pull an idea like Yamaha and have a full dressed version of one of their most popular machines. The venture is a great example of a popular platform in two varities. It would be nice to be able to get all the electronics, the fairing, cruise and a trunk without having to sacrifice a proven drivetrain.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:55 PM   #42

Fiction or Fact

Back when the guys at MCUSA were testing the ZX-14, we were joking about the possibility of a power-cruiser based on the 1400cc engine. I told them if they'd just wad up one of the test bikes, I'd buy it up cheap & put the engine in my Nomad. It would be a very strange thing if Kawi actually built something like that: A 1400cc-retro-Spectre-cruiser would be real competition for the Vmax. Also, as beloved as V-twins are in the USA, they are seemingly on the verge of what they can do and still meet EPA regs without self destructing from constrained heat.

We may be seeing a replay of the euro/jap remodeling of the American MC world that happened in the 60's, only with even more teeth, planted there by the government regulators.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:38 PM   #43

Fiction or Fact

I'd love to see a decent Injection system...one that uses an oxygen sensor to adjust the fuel. A Cruise control, and an option for trunk and fairing would be nice.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:59 PM   #44

Fiction or Fact

My bet is on a voyager style touring bike, but built around the new Connie's engine. With the right accessories that could compete with a Goldwing.

Dan K
Member #100
2009 ST1300: Performance exceeding even Victory riders' boasts.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:40 PM   #45

Fiction or Fact

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by beezer
what happens to this board when they discontinue the Nomad?
Don't even think that! I can't believe you would even say that out loud.

Shame on you beezer.
KawaNOW
"Where Riding A Nomad Is KawaNOW And FOREVER"
I shudder at the very thought!! :(" title="" border="0"/> :(

Mike
"Scion0"