Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-06-2008, 11:14 PM   #31

Why you chose the Nomad?

In '03 a friend of mine bought himself a new Nomad, the red and tan colored one. I thought it was a sharp looking bike. A couple of others got bikes along the way, and I started getting the itch again since the kids were grown. I started researching and had narrowed it down to the Road King, Tour Deluxe, and the Nomad. I know that I would prefer shaft drive, water cool, lockable matching hard bags, and able to handle the weight of customizing. My supervisor brought me a magazine that had all three of these compared with each other. This started me leaning towards the Nomad. After researching more into maintenance costs, reviews from owners, and what I knew, I decided on the Nad, and by now it was a 1600 ('05). I went to several dealers, and when I went into the local dealership, I saw the first Blue& Silver one that I had seen. After negotiating for a month back and forth, I finally pulled the trigger, and can say nothing bad about it. I got a wonderful bike for week long trips, or day rides up into the mountains, or commuting back and forth to work, and 3 years later, every time I start down the road, I got this BIG grin on my face.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-06-2008, 11:17 PM   #32

Why you chose the Nomad?

Why did I buy a Nomad? Here's why:

1. It looks friggin' sweet!
2. 1600 cc, perfect for riding 2-up
3. Locking hard bags
4. All of the "accessories" that come standard: windshield, floorboards, lowers, backrest
5. It looks friggin' sweet!
6. Large gas tank
7. Liquid cooled
8. Available colors
9. Adjustable suspension
10. It looks friggin' sweet!

The Nomad has done nothing but make me happy since I bought it in May. The odometer turned over 6000 today, and I've put on each of those 6000 with a big smile on my face!

Old 08-07-2008, 01:30 AM   #33

Why you chose the Nomad?

I had a honda shadow 1100. I wanted a bigger bike with hard bags, I had read a few articles really talking the nomad up so I bought one.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:02 AM   #34
Top Contributor

Why you chose the Nomad?

it fits me

Old 08-07-2008, 08:18 AM   #35

Why you chose the Nomad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezer
it fits me
Or as they say in Pennsylvania, "It really hauls yer Gnomes around."

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-07-2008, 10:21 AM   #36

Why you chose the Nomad?

Great price for what you get! Smooth, quiet, comfortable, plenty of power for the way I ride, an all-day cruiser/tourer. Best of all worlds for the price of admission. Easily accessorized. (Now let's see. All I need to add is a trunk, a backrest and some leg lowers and I'm done!)
Heheheheh

Old 08-07-2008, 01:15 PM   #37

Why you chose the Nomad?

Bike chose me. After putting a few thousand miles on the Sabre, I knew a bigger, badder bike was coming soon to my garage. Had absolutely no idea what I wanted.
I wandered into a local shop I frequently frequent, and there it was. And it was shouting my name. Had all the things on it I had already decided I wanted and a couple I didn't know I wanted. And It was GORGEOUS! Haven't been let down.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:04 PM   #38

Send a message via AIM to donguer Send a message via Yahoo to donguer
Why you chose the Nomad?

I was riding an 2004 Suzuki Volusia. Bought it new.I rode solo. After a couple of seasons the wife wanted to come along for the ride. She liked it! So did I. I told her if we are to make this a regular thing we need a bigger bike. The IMS came to NY so, my wife and I looked at them all From the HD Ultra Classic to the Nomad.
Once she sat on the Rear seat of the Nomad and discovered the hand grips...That was it!
She said "We like the Nomad best". I said...Ok.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:25 PM   #39

Why you chose the Nomad?

I checked out all different make/model bikes, but was mostly looking for a dressed up cruiser. Of all the makes/models, the Nomad seemed the best balanced. What I mean by that is when sitting on the bike, it seems almost like it could hold itself up. Does that make sense?

Old 08-07-2008, 02:29 PM   #40
Advanced Member

Send a message via MSN to donoller
Why you chose the Nomad?

IT WAS JUST CALLING MY NAME . SO HAD NO CHOICE.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:38 PM   #41
Top Contributor

Why you chose the Nomad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by donguer
I was riding an 2004 Suzuki Volusia. Bought it new.I rode solo. After a couple of seasons the wife wanted to come along for the ride. She liked it! So did I. I told her if we are to make this a regular thing we need a bigger bike. The IMS came to NY so, my wife and I looked at them all From the HD Ultra Classic to the Nomad.
Once she sat on the Rear seat of the Nomad and discovered the hand grips...That was it!
She said "We like the Nomad best". I said...Ok.

Simply put, she trusts you more after a few years in the saddle

Old 08-07-2008, 05:38 PM   #42
Advanced Member

Why you chose the Nomad?

I frequently visit different dealerships so I was familiar enough with what the Nomad had, but not much about what it was. The green two tone paint job really caught my eye a couple years ago. I had owned a '99 Suzuki Intruder 1500, a '97 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Classic, and a 2000 Honda Valkyrie Standard. I was pretty happy with the Valkyrie, but it was winter and it was in storage and I spent the day visiting the big dealerships with lots of used bikes and I walked in the door at one place and there she was waiting for me; black and chrome. They had just got it in on a trade and the salesman was polishing it right by the door in the middle of the sales floor so I got a real good look at it and I walked around it and looked and looked and looked some more, and the more I looked the more I noticed chrome goodies here and there. Finally, I sat on it and it felt very comfortable. I asked to hear it run so he wheeled it outside and started it up and I loved the sound of the pipes (V&H Baggers) I just could not get over how great it looked. I walked around the dealership and looked at all the other bikes they had, but I kept going back to look at that 2000 Nomad. Finally, I knew I had to have it so I put down $100 down on it and signed a layaway agreement to pay off the rest by May 1st. From then on I searched the internet for any information I could find on the Nomad and the more I read the more I realized that I had made a good choice. Then I found KawaNOW and I knew I had made the right choice. Eventually, I had all the money I needed and I rode my Valkyrie in and signed some paperwork and transferred my things into those huge saddlebags with lots of room to spare. Then I got on MY Nomad and started her up. I was surprised at how much vibration came through the bars at idle compared to my Valkyrie, but as soon as I got underway that smoothed right out. The more away from the congested city I got the better she rode. The faster I was able to go the more I liked it. Finally, I got on the interstate and that is where she really was at her best and I was thrilled.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:40 PM   #43
Top Contributor

Why you chose the Nomad?

Hi All, I bought a Nomad because the 1100 Virago we had was too cramped for me and my wife. We wanted to take longer trips in comfort with some storage for rain suits, cameras, phones, extra clothing and maybe even the occasional overnight bag. Price was another major factor and nothing else came close. It was an easy decision for me.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:20 AM   #44

Why you chose the Nomad?

Most of what was said previously.
I wanted a bike I could fit to me for comfort.
cruise easy at 75
excess power on the upper end, if I wanted to pass at 75mph I wanted quick response,
Suspension- the wife is comfy, rode more in 3 mnths than she did in 3 yrs.
Low maintenance

Robert(skeeter)Dozier
07 Red&Titanium Nomad
81 Suzuki 850GL
KawaNow pre#

Old 08-08-2008, 05:44 AM   #45

Why you chose the Nomad?

I would say several factors, not necessarily in order:

- Looks
- Dimensions (major consideration for riders my height (6'6")
- Decent displacement, yet not over the top
- Ability to customize
- Price/Value