Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 02-16-2019, 04:56 PM   #16
Top Contributor

I don't do Facebook, Instagram, Twitter etc.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-16-2019, 08:01 PM   #17
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Quote:
Originally Posted by P2breaker View Post
I have read so many replies and posts from years past and am sad that this forum doesn’t seem to have as much traffic as it once did. I know Kawi makes fewer bagger models and the new generation, which I am a part of, is either obsessed with crashing at 200mph on a crotch rocket or is too scared to think of riding a cycle of any kind. Or maybe all the questions have been asked and answered fifty times over and it’s more of a reference site than anything else. Or maybe Kawi has lost market share and their just aren’t enough people to sustain conversation. Whatever it is, I missed the golden age of the Vulcan-bagger. I have seen maybe 4 Kawi baggers in all the 2 years I have owned my Vaquero. It is truly an amazing bike. Cheers to the thirty people on every thread on this site while I am typing.
Yes you did miss out on one hell of a good time. As TC and CJ stated. This site was called "KawaNow" Kawasaki Nomad Owners World Wide. For several years all of us logged in every day (check the post counts) Eventually like all media it went political. Members were actually threatening the site owner with lawsuits because they were upset about anything and everything. Moderators (I was one moderating the section called Blowndodge's Garage) were not appreciated even though we did it for free. We were a group of buddies as TC said. CJ wasn't far off saying (then all hell broke loose). It really did and we all got out and/or bought different bikes. Kawasaki left us behind with substandard improvements. The site changed hands, The new President was required to sign a "non compete" contract (start a competitive website) and that was the end of that era.

Us older infancy members started our own site on FB and have gone on annual rides and "sit around the campfire" like we used to do. This year we are meeting at Chester California for our 6th Rally. All of us fondly remember our Nomads (I had a green/silver 2006) and felt we had a great starting point. We met with Kawasaki reps and told them "a little more power, a sixth gear and cruise control. The original design was great as it was. It didn't happen. My 2006 Nomad is still one of the best looking V-Twin touring/cruisers I've ever seen. Probably the most reliable V-Twin ever made. 2009 they looked totally different and had some issues to boot.

But that was OK as we knew Kawasaki's base was the performance monster super bikes and spent all their technology developing them. Their cruiser sector was just an afterthought.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 02-16-2019, 08:21 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post
Yes you did miss out on one hell of a good time. As TC and CJ stated. This site was called "KawaNow" Kawasaki Nomad Owners World Wide. For several years all of us logged in every day (check the post counts) Eventually like all media it went political. Members were actually threatening the site owner with lawsuits because they were upset about anything and everything. Moderators (I was one moderating the section called Blowndodge's Garage) were not appreciated even though we did it for free. We were a group of buddies as TC said. CJ wasn't far off saying (then all hell broke loose). It really did and we all got out and/or bought different bikes. Kawasaki left us behind with substandard improvements. The site changed hands, The new President was required to sign a "non compete" contract (start a competitive website) and that was the end of that era.

Us older infancy members started our own site on FB and have gone on annual rides and "sit around the campfire" like we used to do. This year we are meeting at Chester California for our 6th Rally. All of us fondly remember our Nomads (I had a green/silver 2006) and felt we had a great starting point. We met with Kawasaki reps and told them "a little more power, a sixth gear and cruise control. The original design was great as it was. It didn't happen. My 2006 Nomad is still one of the best looking V-Twin touring/cruisers I've ever seen. Probably the most reliable V-Twin ever made. 2009 they looked totally different and had some issues to boot.

But that was OK as we knew Kawasaki's base was the performance monster super bikes and spent all their technology developing them. Their cruiser sector was just an afterthought.
That green and silver 06 Nomad looked amazing. Just curious what happened to the bike?

Old 02-16-2019, 09:15 PM   #19
Advanced Member

Well, the bikes may be old, the forum may not be as popular as it once was, but my 03 Classic 1600 is my 1st ever cruiser and I really like it. I bought it used for $1200 (no 2nd gear, right now) with all the goodies and mods already done. Its my start point to build a custom full dresser the way I want it. It may be an older bike (I got no issues with that), but its a solid, great example of an American cruiser. By the time I get it set up, it'll have my own design mufflers, my own quick release design Nomad bags, my own design for a classic frame mounted (Pacifico Shadow) fairing with stereo, GPS, MP3 input, LED lights, and much more. I figure I can do it all for less than $3k.

Old 02-16-2019, 11:17 PM   #20
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Quote:
Originally Posted by P2breaker View Post
That green and silver 06 Nomad looked amazing. Just curious what happened to the bike?
Sold it to my brother who never rides it. :(

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-18-2019, 03:22 PM   #21

You only missed out if you want to .

I know that there are a good number of Vulcan riders in VA.

Use the member roster here and the vroc.org roster and reach out to a few.

I'll guaranty you that you'll get a rider or two, then three or four, and on.

Or just try the fbook site.
VBA 936

Last edited by MAS Tequila; 02-18-2019 at 03:26 PM.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:41 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokier View Post
In this forum's hayday, I was riding Vulcan Classics. The Delphi Forums is where I hung out.
I am one of those who prefer this format to that of Facebook. Would agree that FACEBOOK is probably a more popular platform to most internet users. Being in IT since 8086's and 8088's, telnet talkers, chat rooms and IRC chats is where I am most comfortable. These types of forums are ... missed by me.

Ride safe,
Smokier
I am as well IT and grew up the same way! Forums are much better for finding the information you want to find and more personable.

Facebook is only good for more replies but 90% are worthless ( i only belong to hunting groups, it might be different for other hobbies).

Old 02-20-2019, 05:46 PM   #23

I too do not have a FB, Twitter, instagram or similar account.
If you get BORED, read the AUP/EULA from Facebook. :) You'll know why I am not on FB! (I *HAD* a FB account at one time)...
Agreed, this format is for those more focused and concerned with what they post.
As MBarr stated, it doesn't take long to know people here.

Ride safe brothers and sisters,
Smokier

Old 02-20-2019, 10:00 PM   #24
Advanced Member

Good conversation topic going on here. I will fault myself as a part of a decline in the forum activities as I am more of a reader than a contributor. I will say though I do log on at 4:30 am central time every morning while eating breakfast and at night when I get to slow down a bit, just checking in as motorcycle forums are favored over television or news papers. It is a connection to you folks that I share a commend interest with. We all came here cause we have the love of riding a motorcycle. I don't care what you ride it is that you ride. Be it help doing a repair or just hearing about some ones afternoon ride or a planned ride, I like it. Ride reports are the best! Pictures with any topic,,,, love the pictures.

Patriot Guard Riders
Sons Of Liberty Riders Alabama Road Captain
2015 Voyager
2003 1500 NOMAD FI sold 6/19
VBA #2993
RUSSELL DAYLONG SEATS ROCK!!
DAMMIT TOOL:
Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling "DAMMIT" at the top of your lungs

There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.

Last edited by Chuck A.; 02-20-2019 at 10:45 PM.

Old 02-21-2019, 06:03 PM   #25

ChuckA, 100% agree...

Old 02-22-2019, 02:29 PM   #26
Advanced Member

This is my fifth year of ownership now on my 2012 Vaquero. I can't get enough of it to this day. I put about 3 grand into it for customizing and it still gets a lot of attention when I am out on it and more compliments than my buddy's 2014 Street glide. And it is stone reliable and fun and covers large distances with aplomb. Never happier.
As far as forums go, this one is still the best for honest information and help from other members and I am hoping things stay very well alive here for a long time to come.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Old 02-22-2019, 10:30 PM   #27

Quote:
I am more of a reader than a contributor.
I'm Working on it, Yet success is just out of grasp.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 02-25-2019, 11:24 AM   #28

I think you have it all wrong. It isn’t that there are less riders and therefore less posters here. The format has changed.

I belong to 4 other Kawasaki Voyager and Vaquero groups on facebook. I prefer these types of forums, but the lack of responses and posts here have unfortunately pushed me to those groups more. I dip back in here maybe once a month now, so I have certainly not helped with the situation.

I belong to Classic VW forums and a lot of those guys would post on Facebook and I absolutely HATED it and refused to go over to Facebook to see any posts. Luckily, that Classic VW forum is still highly active, so I visit that just about daily and haven’t moved over to Facebook to see that content.

I joined here in 2016 and this forum was a lot more active even then, but it seems like the posts here have came to a halt for the most part. Look at this page alone in this topic, it hasn’t switched over to a new one in I don’t know how long and with the exception of the first 3rd of it, the rest of the topics haven’t had any replies in 2 weeks or more, that’s unusual.

After my initial posts I haven’t done anything but ride my bike, so I haven’t made any updated posts in my thread and had only replied to a few peoples questions they had since then. I still intend on posting here when I finish some mods and updates on my bike and contributing by helping by answering peoples questions they may have.

Last edited by BonVoyager; 02-25-2019 at 11:32 AM.

Old 02-25-2019, 12:00 PM   #29
Top Contributor

How has the format changed ?

The people that have Nomads still try to answer questions from Nomad owners and Voyager and Vaquero owners still try help those guys.

At one time most of the forum members either rode a 1500 or 1600 Nomad.
Now add 1700 Voyagers, Vaqueros and Nomads to the mix.

Most of the original forum members have never owned a 1700 Kawasaki so if someone does not ask a generalized question about motorcycles how do they answer someone's questions ?

Old 02-25-2019, 11:12 PM   #30

crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
How has the format changed ?

The people that have Nomads still try to answer questions from Nomad owners and Voyager and Vaquero owners still try help those guys.

At one time most of the forum members either rode a 1500 or 1600 Nomad.
Now add 1700 Voyagers, Vaqueros and Nomads to the mix.

Most of the original forum members have never owned a 1700 Kawasaki so if someone does not ask a generalized question about motorcycles how do they answer someone's questions ?
I described how the format changed. Most people have shifted to facebook. For better or for worse that’s how most forums are now. I much more prefer a forum like this over a Facebook one any day.

Not sure what original members or nomad 1500/1600 has really anything to do with it since this forum is split up into categories and there are different clique’s within this forum.

Like you said, the people that can answer questions answer them. I wouldn’t know a lot about the nomad 1500/1600 so I have little to offer there. I could answer questions about Voyager/Vaquero 1700 as that’s the bike I am familiar with here. Or, like you sad, I could answer generalized questions that aren’t bike specific.