Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 12-18-2014, 10:08 PM   #16

in all seriousness, you will start the chase for perfect performance, that = less gas mileage. Its simple, you open up the air flow and the bike will require more gas to mix with the greater volume of air or it will lean out either at lower end but more usually top end, so you open up the exhaust. Unless you mess around again with fuel mixtures you loose bottom end. Do you have to go with fuel management. Then you mess around with the pots until you almost have it right, but a performance cam could make all the problems go away right? More fuel needed!!!

I had one of the first 20 VMax's ever made, bought an 85 in 84, demon fast, 0-60 in 2.8 or something. I could and did light up the back tire in ever gear at every speed, first back tire (a monster 150 in those days) lasted 4200 KM and it was down to the cords. then it didn't scare me any more so after market 4-1 exhaust, jetting, chasing the perfect match, every year it was something. By the time it was done, first gear was effectively useless, the intake was so loud I needed earplugs to drive it. It set off car alarms at idle. And got single digit gas mileage. I've learned to get to a place where the performance is acceptable, the bike is fun to ride, comfortable 2 up and fires up when I push the button. I want to get good mileage I keep it under 65, but mostly I don't care and cruise at 80 or so.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-20-2014, 11:21 PM   #17

Wink Which pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagcamp View Post
I have a 2005 nomad 1600 with 28k miles. I bought the bully controller from gman about a year ago and added a k&n exposed air cleaner. * I want the best aftermarket exhaust to increase either power or fuel economy and not be too loud. * I have the baffles out now on the stock pipes and it is almost loud enough. *I like the low rumble, *not the brassy sound I hear on a lot of Harleys. *I would like your opinion on options for both power and efficiency especially if you have the bully fi controller. *I enjoy tweaking the bully and it has made a big difference in power and torque but I only get 30 mpg if I cruise at 75 mph. *I would sacrifice economy for power if it would be noticeably faster off the line. *However if it would only be slightly faster I would rather have better gas mileage. *Hopefully it would be 4-5 mpg better. *I would pay big money for pipes that were just barely louder than baffleless stock and gave me 5 mpg more and 10 more ft-lbs. *I bet a lot of people would!
If you want to make the most gain a two into one like Cobra or Vance and Hines delivers the best power. My 99 Nomad with higher comp pistons,Thunder billet intake as well as a Dyna3000 ignition, with port and polished heads pulls the air in via a Kuryakan High Five intake system and exits the burned exhaust via a Vance and Hines Propipe if I cruise at 65 actual I am at 40 mpg, since it is rated at 85.2 hp I can ruin good gas mileage if I want to play with the throttle

Old 12-29-2014, 03:35 PM   #18

@sidewalkman I've been down that road before with a '72 Nova! I'm trying to be more moderate with my bike.

I called Freedom Performance and was told they do have a 2 into 1 that fits the '05 Nomad for a decent price. This should be my last mod, at least for a while. I would love to hear a personal testimony from someone if I could. Anybody out there know anything about that specific exhaust?

Old 12-29-2014, 09:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagcamp View Post
Do those Cobras have removable baffles? What's the difference between billet tips vs other tips like slash cut? I've been leaning towards Cobra so thanks for helping me decide. Hey do they get rid of the goat bladder?
to answer your question the cobra billet tips do have removable baffles while the slash cut do not.yes they get rid of the goat bladder.
VBA # 745 COG #11621
wheatland,wy.
rallies-custer 09,kalispell 10,crescent city 11,kanab 12,estes park 13,orifino 14.,red lodge 16

2015 ninja 1000 abs
2014 concourse 14
2012 concourse 14-sold
2011 vaquero-sold
2008 nomad-sold
2005 classic-sold

Tags
bully, exhaust, power