Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 04-09-2014, 09:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo PHUMC View Post
You just going to tease us or can you give a hint where you got them at the price?
Motorcycle Superstore

MT
VBA 936

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-09-2014, 09:56 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan Bill View Post
Chapperal is having a sale on Shinko 777's right now. I could get a front and back for the cost of one Mic Com 2 rear tire but they don't have it in my size. 14.5K huh? Thats pretty good for a rear M/C tire.

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/dept...inko-777-tires

I've never gotten better than 8000 out of any MC rear tire, including the Metzler I paid over $200 for.

MT
VBA 936

Old 04-09-2014, 09:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshelly View Post
Usually you get what you pay for, but that's really good mileage for that kind of money. As long as they handle well. Makes you wonder how they make them for that price .
They handle as good or better than anything I've had on this bike.

The wet weather traction is unbelievable. I rode through a tropical store for over 400 miles last year.

MT
VBA 936

Old 04-09-2014, 10:58 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS Tequila View Post
They handle as good or better than anything I've had on this bike.

The wet weather traction is unbelievable. I rode through a tropical store for over 400 miles last year.

MT

Wow! Must of been a really big store!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'05 1600CL. Originator 18" Harley wheel mod, Dobeck TFI, True Duals, Mutazu hardbags, Flanders handlebars n' a bunch more.
Sometimes I miss the good ol' days but most times I'm just glad I survived them

Old 04-09-2014, 11:04 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan Bill View Post
Wow! Must of been a really big store!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-10-2014, 12:15 AM   #21
Advanced Member

Pirelli Night Dragons

I picked up a pair of Pirelli Night Dragons 150/80-16 for $256.42 including shipping 3 weeks ago after my ME 880's had 15k on them.

Wanted a different type of ride and must say the Pirelli's do have a cushioned type of ride compared to the ME's.

After reading reviews which are limited on web sites etc... from consumers after purchase, decided on these.

My main concern is under humid, damp, wet, rain conditions if the need arises how a tire handles.

I have read great reviews on the Shinko's but had ordered the Pirelli tires before Shinko finally contacted me on which of their tires to use on the front 150/80-16. They said use 777 rear and any of their other tires on the front. However also they said they could not recommend reversing the rear tire on the front.

I did put 200 + miles on a ride towards Goliad,Texas but needed to get back home. The Pirelli's were very comfortable, with great tracking. The weather was dry, clear sky's, temperature low 50's to a high of 75.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:50 AM   #22

I'm putting night dragons on mine too. Got them from Canadas Motorcycle for $390 to my door. 180/70/16 rear and 150/80/16 front. Not bad compared to canada's motorcycle shops.
VBA member #02543

Old 04-10-2014, 07:52 AM   #23

Listen to Mr tequila. People thought I was nuts a few years back when I put a set of Shinko's on my Vmax. At the time, I did it strictly for the price. I would go through 3 rear tires a summer. (2k miles or less) Very sticky, actually too much traction for what I wanted them for, and the price is a no brainer. I never had a problem with them that was not self inflicted...
I have been listening to everybody here talk about the Commander II as being the premier tire for the front of the Nomad truckster. I was concerned about the weight. I was just about to pull the trigger on the commander II from Amazon @ $130 & some change shipped to my door. Now you have me thinkin'. especially because you tool around down there in paradise with the higher temperatures and the higher speeds, sounds like they hold up well on the Nomad.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:10 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
Listen to Mr tequila. People thought I was nuts a few years back when I put a set of Shinko's on my Vmax. At the time, I did it strictly for the price. I would go through 3 rear tires a summer. (2k miles or less) Very sticky, actually too much traction for what I wanted them for, and the price is a no brainer. I never had a problem with them that was not self inflicted...
I have been listening to everybody here talk about the Commander II as being the premier tire for the front of the Nomad truckster. I was concerned about the weight. I was just about to pull the trigger on the commander II from Amazon @ $130 & some change shipped to my door. Now you have me thinkin'. especially because you tool around down there in paradise with the higher temperatures and the higher speeds, sounds like they hold up well on the Nomad.
I split my time between FL and NC, they get a workout.

MT
VBA 936

Old 04-10-2014, 10:23 AM   #25

Loving my shinkos. Got caught in my first rain storm yesterday and they held the road very well. For the price,ride and grip its gonna take a lot to make me buy anything else.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:42 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teachme View Post
Loving my shinkos. Got caught in my first rain storm yesterday and they held the road very well. For the price,ride and grip its gonna take a lot to make me buy anything else.
Cool, I'm glad you like them.

I just dropped my truck off at the local Goodyear store for 4 fresh skins.

I guess it's tire week for me.

MT
VBA 936

Old 04-10-2014, 12:05 PM   #27

How close did you come to finding a 150 for the front w/ Shinko? I'm hearing people dropping in to a 130 Commander II, which was the only thing kind of holding me back from going that brand... Can you really feel the difference in the size? (she snikkers)
150 to 130 -

Old 04-10-2014, 12:18 PM   #28

I went with 130 and love it but in all fairness my 150 front was a worn out bridge stone. I lay her over in curves pretty good and it handles very well.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:44 PM   #29

Bridgestone is what's on the front of mine as well - and thinking it's the one that shipped out of the box on it because the bike only has 10,000 miles on it. Fresh Bridgestone on the back. I have some time to search. These are the only handle bars I will be hanging on to for the next few weeks...
Just want to get my ducks in a row so when it's time to bust out, it's go time! Goin' nuts here!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20120808_122902.jpg (93.5 KB, 22 views)

Old 04-10-2014, 01:39 PM   #30

The 130 on the front is more responsive than the 150.

The bike will lay over faster and easier when going into a corner with a 130/90 on the front. I've had three different 130/90's up front so far.

I'm putting a 140/90 on the rear this time. It's a little taller for the speedo error and should be a little more responsive.

MT
VBA 936