Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 05-06-2013, 05:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG View Post
http://senabluetooth.com/downloads/m...SMH10-v4.2.pdf User manual with everything you wanted to know about the SMH10. Helmet to helmet, bluetooth, GPS, & running a stereo jack to the helmet. I bought a set from http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...dset-dual-pack a few weeks ago because they had the best price. Definitely impressed with how it performs. I understand the Scada model is supposed to be pretty good, too. Sena just had the best pricing for me.

As I said in another post. The battery life on the SENA is very impressive. Our pair sat from October to May. My wife and I tried them and both had plenty of battery for our first 2 up ride of the season (about 2-3 hours).

I too like the big JOG dial. It is very easy to pair/sync the SENA with my phone and with other SENA units. I run everything on my phone (GPS, MP3, Phone calls, etc) so I only need to bring one device, keeps it simple. Good quality sound. I also like the fact it uses standard micro USB connection to charge.
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-06-2013, 07:23 PM   #17

I also use the Sena SMH10. The selling point for me was that you can recharge them as you're using them.

I installed a weatherproof cigarette socket on my left rear crash bar. Now if the battery gets low, I can just plug it in and continue using them.

I don't think the others allow you to do that...at least that's what I've read.

Sight Seer
Patriot Guard Rider
VBA #01982

Old 05-07-2013, 08:24 AM   #18
Advanced Member

My friend bought the Scala last weekend (not sure of the model but it was $400 for the set of 2) and we installed them in our helmets. She rides a Honda VTX with a windshield, I had the Voyager with the tall windshield fitted, both have full face helmets. The dealer set them up and got it working, sounded good as we were walking around in the parking lot and riding through town, but when we got on the road and up to 60 mph they were all but useless. We could not understand anything each other said, didn't matter if we were 10 feet apart or 1/4 mile.
I removed it from my helmet and sorta wrote it off as a waist of money, she's still playing with the radio feature..............not sure if she's keeping it or returning to the dealer.
For those who are pleased with the Scala, does it really work well at speed? or do you just wait until you are slowed down through towns to communicate?

Garry

2009 1700 Voyager KACT, sold at 679,465 kms
2011 1700 Nomad
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:13 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gv550 View Post
My friend bought the Scala last weekend (not sure of the model but it was $400 for the set of 2) and we installed them in our helmets. She rides a Honda VTX with a windshield, I had the Voyager with the tall windshield fitted, both have full face helmets. The dealer set them up and got it working, sounded good as we were walking around in the parking lot and riding through town, but when we got on the road and up to 60 mph they were all but useless. We could not understand anything each other said, didn't matter if we were 10 feet apart or 1/4 mile.
I removed it from my helmet and sorta wrote it off as a waist of money, she's still playing with the radio feature..............not sure if she's keeping it or returning to the dealer.
For those who are pleased with the Scala, does it really work well at speed? or do you just wait until you are slowed down through towns to communicate?
My Scalas (I have had the Q2 and the G4) have worked just fine at speed. One trick you need to pay attention to is getting the speakers set just right for your ears - being off as little as a quarter inch has a big effect. Also, at least some models of Scala (G4 for example) can have many settings tweaked by software on your computer, and making adjustments there can be very helpful as well.

Bottom line, though, is that when properly set up, Scalas work fine at 80 mph and above, so your money should not have been wasted.
VBA #00794
2011 Vaquero (Ebony)
replaced 2008 Nomad 1600 (Blue/Silver)

Old 05-07-2013, 11:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearbait View Post
My Scalas (I have had the Q2 and the G4) have worked just fine at speed. One trick you need to pay attention to is getting the speakers set just right for your ears - being off as little as a quarter inch has a big effect. Also, at least some models of Scala (G4 for example) can have many settings tweaked by software on your computer, and making adjustments there can be very helpful as well.

Bottom line, though, is that when properly set up, Scalas work fine at 80 mph and above, so your money should not have been wasted.
Speaker placement is crucial on the Sena as well. It took me 2 tries to get it right. Works well at freeway speeds now.
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-08-2013, 11:09 AM   #21
Advanced Member

For those that have the Sena, be sure to check your firmware on their website and update it if you don't have the latest on your unit. I bought a SPH10H FM for my half helmet and was shocked that it had substantially more volume available than my pair of SMH10 units had. I went on Sena's website and checked their firmware page and realized that my SMH10's were two versions behind the latest firmware. It listed in the description that one of the things addressed in the update was better volume range. When I updated the firmware on the SMH10's the volume level was equal to the new unit I had just bought.

The sound output, which was already good in the first place is now markedly better. I can't turn the volume up all the way now or it hurts my ears. I used to have to crank it up all the way at speed when there were cross winds present.

If you have never done this, you need to download their update manager to your computer. Here's the link...

http://www.senabluetooth.com/support...d_document.php

Just download the proper software for your given computer and follow the instructions to update your unit(s).
VBA Member #02104
2013 HD 110th Anniversary Electra Glide Ultra Limited
2012 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Voyager
2009 Yamaha FJR1300
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Nomad
2002 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Custom
1989 Yamaha Virago 750

Last edited by fammdw; 05-08-2013 at 11:18 AM.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:53 AM   #22

Would love to have either the Sena or Scalas but just cant afford them so my wife and I have been looking into two way radio's with a head set.

Anyone ever done this?

VBA #02164

Old 05-09-2013, 05:36 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawImmortal View Post
Would love to have either the Sena or Scalas but just cant afford them so my wife and I have been looking into two way radio's with a head set.

Anyone ever done this?
Honestly...

I'd recommend you just save a while longer and get the Sena or Scala you really want. My wife & I tried a cheaper wired rider / pillion communication device for a while, but it wasn't a patch on the real deal. Money wasted really, since they're tossed in a box somewhere now.

Your sig reminds me... I really must dig out the form and send off that BK sub.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 05-09-2013, 09:45 PM   #24

If you cant find it let me know, ill email you an app.

VBA #02164

Old 05-09-2013, 10:45 PM   #25

OK Damn-it now I'm going to buy the dual pack of Sena units. Seems like every time I read posts here I end up buying a new toy. Thanks a lot!!! Seriously, I am going to purchase a set to take on our 30-day road trip to the Blue Ridge Parkway coming up. It will be nice to communicate bike-to-bike with my sweetie! I am tossed up on which Sena to buy: the one with the boom mic or the one with the universal mic? We both wear full face HJC helmets now. Also, are these units easy to remove from the helmet if you are going to leave your helmet out in the open locked to your bike? I would hate to have someone steal the electronics. Your thoughts and/or experience?

Old 05-09-2013, 11:10 PM   #26
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffey67 View Post
OK Damn-it now I'm going to buy the dual pack of Sena units. Seems like every time I read posts here I end up buying a new toy. Thanks a lot!!! Seriously, I am going to purchase a set to take on our 30-day road trip to the Blue Ridge Parkway coming up. It will be nice to communicate bike-to-bike with my sweetie! I am tossed up on which Sena to buy: the one with the boom mic or the one with the universal mic? We both wear full face HJC helmets now. Also, are these units easy to remove from the helmet if you are going to leave your helmet out in the open locked to your bike? I would hate to have someone steal the electronics. Your thoughts and/or experience?
I have a boom mic kit in my Shoei RF1100. If I had to do it again, I would have bought the one with the stream line stick-on mic. The boom mic fits in there fine, but it touches my chin when I move my head around. Not enough to be really annoying, but it would be better if it were not there to hit. As for the control units, they pop right off the helmet with the push of a button. Just drop it in your pocket and snap it back on the helmet when you return to the bike.
VBA Member #02104
2013 HD 110th Anniversary Electra Glide Ultra Limited
2012 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Voyager
2009 Yamaha FJR1300
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Nomad
2002 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Custom
1989 Yamaha Virago 750

Last edited by fammdw; 05-09-2013 at 11:12 PM.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:10 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffey67 View Post
OK Damn-it now I'm going to buy the dual pack of Sena units. Seems like every time I read posts here I end up buying a new toy. Thanks a lot!!! Seriously, I am going to purchase a set to take on our 30-day road trip to the Blue Ridge Parkway coming up. It will be nice to communicate bike-to-bike with my sweetie.
IMHO.... you won't regret buying communicators. To us, it's not only a matter of communicting, but a matter of SAFETY.

The first year we had our motorcycles, we were out late (10 pm) on a very warm summer night. We were in an area known to frequent wildlife. We did not plan to be out past dark, but one thing led to another and we were. We did not have the lightbar with extra lights yet, so we were taking our time. We were riding staggered, when all of a sudden, there was a moose in the road directly in our lane. I was leading and hit it on my right side and my wife hit it on her left side. We both went down. Bikes stalled and lights went out. So, there we were laying in the middle of the road, pitch black. I was able to talk to my wife and ask her if she was alright because we had communicators. We were OK and there was minor damage because we were going slow enough. BUT WHAT A RUSH.

Another..... we originally purchased communicators for atving, because one day on the trail, we stopped to pick and eat some fresh berries on the side of the trail. When we left, we decided to turn around and go back the way we came. As we were turning around I watched my wife back up to a steep banking behind her. Had she not stopped when she did, she would have fallen backwards down the steep enbankment, and all I could have done was watch it happen. We wear fullface helments and even if I would have screamed my lungs out, it would not have been enough, nor soon enough.

So you see. To us, it's much more than just communicating.

Thanks for reading. God Bless
Tour Master riding gear