Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 03-03-2011, 10:34 PM   #16

concealed carry without a permit

Tennessee has a carry permit without a carry permit or one from a State that Tennessee has a reciopal agreement with you are commiting a felony so if anyone who is carrying on the way thru check and see if your state and Tenn. are friends. This is the lastest list So, if you hold a valid, current Tennessee concealed carry permit, the following states will honor your permit:

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wyoming

That is an excellent list of states that recognize the Tennessee concealed carry permit. Here is the list of states that do not recognize the Tennessee concealed carry permit:

California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island, Washington

Don’t worry – California does not recognize the concealed carry permit from any other state. Neither does Illinois or Wisconsin – two states you may have noticed were not in either list. In fact, the laws in Illinois and Wisconsin are such that the two states refuse to issue permits even to their own residents.

Previous bikes - 2004 BMW R1200 CLC 2006 Nomad 1600 Black -1985 BMW K100 RT
VBA #001609
Viet-Nam Vet 71-72
Maryville , Tn.
Maggie Valley '11-Townsend '12-Estes Park '13- Copperhead fall rally "13- Elkins WV '14- Eureka Springs ' 15- Helen Ga. SE Rally '16

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-03-2011, 10:51 PM   #17

New York does not recognize any other states permit either.
I believe Tennessee law on handguns is if you do not have a permit recognized by them you have to have the gun unloaded and no loaded magazines. The gun needs to be secured in a commercial gun case anywhere in the vehicle.
My travler's Guide to the Firearms Laws of hte Fifty States is a 2009 Edition but it states"automatic recognition for non-residents with carry permits from any other States" is this not correct anymore?
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 03-03-2011, 10:56 PM   #18

yeah that is correct I was talking about carrying a loaded concealed weapon without a permit or agreement with another state .It is also a felony for a resdient of Tennessee to carry without a permit once the law went into effect

VBA #001609
Viet-Nam Vet 71-72
Maryville , Tn.
Maggie Valley '11-Townsend '12-Estes Park '13- Copperhead fall rally "13- Elkins WV '14- Eureka Springs ' 15- Helen Ga. SE Rally '16

Old 03-04-2011, 07:39 AM   #19
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider

Not sure about open carry here in Alabama. I do know you have to get a permit for concealed carry.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 03-04-2011, 11:56 AM   #20
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy

I'm not against your laws there in the U.S.. So don't get me wrong fellas. But it sounds to me {maybe other Canadian members too} like it's the "wild, wild, west" at any given time. I'm curious as to how many people carrying, would/could use the gun. I know, I know!! most of you don't have it for decoration, for sure!!!, but how many out there {and I don't mean you guys} would really shoot it with the intent to hurt or kill??
I know I'll be safe at Maggie Valley hang'in with some of you.
Do you carry them when you've been drink'in too?
Maybe I won't be that safe hang'in at the "Tiki Bar" Saloon .... I'll just agree with everything, anyone says I guess.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-04-2011, 12:27 PM   #21
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyboy ... #00722
I'm not against your laws there in the U.S.. So don't get me wrong fellas. But it sounds to me {maybe other Canadian members too} like it's the "wild, wild, west" at any given time. I'm curious as to how many people carrying, would/could use the gun. I know, I know!! most of you don't have it for decoration, for sure!!!, but how many out there {and I don't mean you guys} would really shoot it with the intent to hurt or kill??
Maybe I won't be that safe hang'in at the "Tiki Bar" Saloon .... I'll just agree with everything, anyone says I guess.
Speaking only for myself here...

It is a felony in AZ to point a handgun (loaded or not) at another person. So I wouldn't draw my weapon to "scare" someone off. You only draw the weapon if the threat is great enough to warrant pulling the trigger. It's not a toy and if you don't have the inner strength to actually follow through and pull the trigger, then leave the weapons at home. Honest to God, I hope I never find myself in that situation but I am ready if I ever do.

The United States Marine Corps spent considerable time and money instructing me in the proper handling and use of a deadly weapon, both with the M-16 A1 rifle and the .45 semiautomatic pistol (also claymore anti-personnel devices and hand grenades ). That's probably more training than the average person has.

To answer your last question, if you are a CCW permit holder in AZ, you may carry concealed in a bar. You cannot consume alcohol while armed, however.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 03-04-2011, 12:41 PM   #22
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Quote:
Speaking only for myself here...

It is a felony in AZ to point a handgun (loaded or not) at another person. So I wouldn't draw my weapon to "scare" someone off. You only draw the weapon if the threat is great enough to warrant pulling the trigger. It's not a toy and if you don't have the inner strength to actually follow through and pull the trigger, then leave the weapons at home. Honest to God, I hope I never find myself in that situation but I am ready if I ever do.

The United States Marine Corps spent considerable time and money instructing me in the proper handling and use of a deadly weapon, both with the M-16 A1 rifle and the .45 semiautomatic pistol (also claymore anti-personnel devices and hand grenades ). That's probably more training than the average person has.

To answer your last question, if you are a CCW permit holder in AZ, you may carry concealed in a bar. You cannot consume alcohol while armed, however.
Thanks Scott ! I would imagine given the U.S. policies and the fact your military is what it is, I hope most of the people carrying, are as well trained and have the same opinions as far as use and scaring the living hell out of people. I agree with that for sure !
I have always said and believed that if someone pulls a knife, gun or any weapon for that matter I assume he/she/they mean to use it. And would do what I need to do in order to survive.
So no guns at the Tiki Bar Saloon then,....if you're drink'in?

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 03-04-2011, 12:45 PM   #23

The same is true here in Washington. It against the law to "brandish" your weapon. That is to show it as a form of intimidation. I have used mine once to protect my property while my wife called 911. When the bad guy left up the alley I put it away and pointed the officer in his direction once they arrrived.
But if you are going to pull it you better have the mindset to use it.
A shop owner in a mall here got the "drop" on a shooter. But instead of pulling the trigger to stop the threat he pointed his weapon and talked. He is spending the rest of his life in a wheelchair because the bad guy wasn't in a talking mood.
And to clarify. If I do have to pull the trigger I am shooting to Stop A Threat to myself, a loved one or an innocent. I am not shooting to wound or kill.
So it shall be written, so it shall be done.

Charlie "Ballast" Krogh
2005 1600 Nomad "Tangerine Dream"
VBA #999
VROC #29355

Old 03-04-2011, 01:29 PM   #24
Advanced Member

Quote:
how many out there would really shoot it with the intent to hurt or kill??
I don't think anyone would ever want to actually fire it unless it was in self-defense. At least I'd hope that's the case.

VBA member #01682
Green 1999 Nomad 1500 carb'd 43,000 miles
JOG'd at 20,000, JOG failed at 40,000
SOG'd at 40,000
Darksider

Old 03-04-2011, 02:08 PM   #25
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
If confronted with a scenario in which I had to draw my weapon, I'm not intending to just hurt someone.

There are murders in Phoenix nearly every day. Not all involve "innocent victims". They are involved in drugs, human smuggling, or some other illegal activity which put them in a bad situation and in the company of bad people. However, there are plenty of cases of "wrong place/wrong time" such as in Tucson on January 8.

In my case, I have done a lot of soul-searching since a co-worker of mine was shot three times during an attempted carjacking last year. She's recovered now, but says the gunshot wounds are not as bad as the lingering effects of being kicked in the head several times by a couple of teenage gang bangers. I came to the conclusion that you are either prepared or you're not. I decided I much prefer the odds of being prepared.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 03-04-2011, 02:29 PM   #26

Rick, I have a question.
What if you are on a back or side road in Canada and are broke down with your wife with you. a car stops with three guys and ask if you need help.
You don't need help as you have already called for road side assistance. You tell them no but they start to get out of the car anyway. You again say you don't need help and wish they would stay in the car and leave.
They smile and one pulls a knife.
Do you wish you had a gun or are you comfortable with the gun laws in Canada.
This is not the wild wild west but we do have the right to protect ourselves.
I hope I never have to use my handgun but if I do I will not hesitate. I carry it for protectoin not to scare people.
When I toured Canada last year I had to leave the gun home ::) I felt naked.

PS; Thanks for stacking your sig pics. It is much better on my screen.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 03-04-2011, 05:48 PM   #27

If needed prepared to shoot and as Scott says if I feel I need to pull the gun the one that made me feel that way is SHOT and I do not shoot to wound. Tennessee law also states no alcohol consumed

VBA #001609
Viet-Nam Vet 71-72
Maryville , Tn.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:27 PM   #28

Heres something that happened in my daughter neighbourhood.
I wish we had some of your american laws here. Read the article and see what this guy is going through.

On the face of it, Ian Thomson should never have been charged.

Thomson was attacked by three men throwing firebombs at his Niagara-area house last August. The 53-year-old former firearms instructor says he went and got one of his pistols and fired shots over the heads of the attackers and they ran off.

The whole event was caught by Thomson on his own security cameras. At least six firebombs were thrown at his property, including his dog house, but when he handed the tapes over to Niagara Regional Police, Thomson himself was treated as a criminal.

On Wednesday, the charges of careless use of a firearm and pointing a firearm were dropped, but two counts of careless storage of a firearm remain.

"We thank the Crown for its consideration," said Thomson's lawyer, Ed Burlew, as he left the courthouse.

Thank the Crown? Absolutely not. The Crown erred here.

For defending his own property, Ian Thomson has been criminally charged, had his seven firearms seized and his firearms licence revoked. He has had to go to the bother and expense of hiring a lawyer and has seen his name tarnished as a criminal.

All for defending his own property.

Now some readers will argue he shouldn't have used guns.

Why not?

The pistol he used to ward off the attackers worked. It was legally owned by a well-trained individual and was properly licenced.

Ian Thomson followed our restrictive gun laws to a T and he has still been charged and had his firearms seized.

Should he have simply called the police in this matter?

Waiting for police didn't help David Chen, the Toronto grocer who consistently called about shoplifters, only to watch police let them go. When Chen finally tackled and tied up a career criminal stealing from him for the second time in one day, the police were there in minutes and charged Chen.

Calling the police hasn't helped the residents of Caledonia who have watched the Ontario Provincial Police turn a blind eye to Native violence but arrest another man for raising the Canadian flag. The OPP didn't step in to protect the property rights of homeowners in Caledonia who were stopped from even getting near their homes without a Native-issued passport.

I'm not anti-cop, but the police are agents of the state and increasingly governments are treating the law-abiding citizens as the criminals.

Thomson had every right to fire his gun at the hoods attacking his house.

His life was in imminent danger; three men were outside throwing firebombs at his house and yelling death threats at him. Those men are lucky he didn't aim at them, a move that would be perfectly legitimate under the circumstances.

There once was a time when the idea that man being attacked at night inside his own home could be charged for shooting warning shots would have been considered absurd. It should still be considered absurd. We have the right to self defence in this country, it is an ancient right that has not faded away with time nor the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

That Thomson was ever charged is ridiculous. That he is still facing charges is a travesty.

The Crown should do the right thing and withdraw the remaining charges while they still have a shred of credibility intact.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 03-04-2011, 10:34 PM   #29
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider

Did some research today and found out Alabama has an open carry law. The only problem you have to have a permit to carry in your car even if it is out in the open.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 03-04-2011, 11:10 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballast
The same is true here in Washington. It against the law to "brandish" your weapon. That is to show it as a form of intimidation. I have used mine once to protect my property while my wife called 911. When the bad guy left up the alley I put it away and pointed the officer in his direction once they arrrived.
But if you are going to pull it you better have the mindset to use it.
A shop owner in a mall here got the "drop" on a shooter. But instead of pulling the trigger to stop the threat he pointed his weapon and talked. He is spending the rest of his life in a wheelchair because the bad guy wasn't in a talking mood.
And to clarify. If I do have to pull the trigger I am shooting to Stop A Threat to myself, a loved one or an innocent. I am not shooting to wound or kill.
So it shall be written, so it shall be done.
That's the way the law is written here Charlie. You can use deadly force to stop the threat. No shooting to injure or kill.....to stop the threat. You can't shoot to protect property here, only to protect life/lives. If a stranger comes through your door in the middle of the night, the assumption is that he's not just looking for a place to take a nap. That is a justified use of deadly force whether he is armed or not. These laws vary from state to state. LA isn't the wild west but the gun laws are pretty liberal here. If you can legally own a firearm, you can carry it openly on your person or in view or concealed in your vehicle. Just don't get caught concealing a weapon on your person if you don't have a permit. Can't carry in church, schools, police stations, governing meetings, and federal buildings. And don't brandish/point a weapon at someone for intimidation. That is also a felony here. You can't carry in a bar and a breathalyzer reading of .03 will get your permit revoked if you are carrying. LA reciprocates with all but 7 states and I think we all know who they are.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482