Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 03-12-2011, 02:32 PM   #16

Veteran to Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson
The original intention of this thread got off-track; and the "reaction-posts" to Dave's post were making assumptions without knowing the facts.

It goes to show this is an emotional issue; where opinions may differ.

It might be best if emotions were kept in check before striking-out and making assumptions; and the name calling could be tamed-down a bit also. ;)

I never read where Dave said anything disrespectful about vets. He merely said he thought that no one should have the obligation to thank a vet for their service. There was no reference about not being thankful for their service.

As a comparison point: I know several Vietnam fighter pilots personally who spent months bombing and killing people during the war. I can tell you these men do not like taking about their experience; they don't wear it like a "thorny-crown"; they don't like people to "thank" them; they basically would like the whole-thing to just simply go-away in their memory.

So, not all "vets" feel others have an obligation to "thank" them. ;)

Just saying... ;)
Every Vet is different. I have a nephew who is a sniper in Afghanistan. He is uncomfortable being thanked for his service and does not care to talk about it. My buddy's son did time in Iraq trying to keep the peace. Being thanked doesn't bother him at all and he talks about Iraq all the time. Except in front of his mother, who was upset enough when he left for there.

I think Dave's complaint was about throwing the "Hero" word around and to a certain extent I have to agree with him. Seems like everyone is a hero now. To me that kind of reduces the stature of the word. (OK, I'm ready for the sticks and stones.)

Oldest Saloon In Nevada
http://www.pioneersaloon.info/

"Sin City Stan"
Henderson, NV
VBA #01004
VROC #29365
2004 Nomad 1500L5 +100 "The Bike"
2009 Nomad 1700 (past)
2004 Vulcan Classic 800 (past)
2010 Cortez - 2011 Crescent City - 2012 Kanab - 2013 Estes Park

Login or Register to Remove Ads