Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 03-16-2018, 09:35 PM   #16

LEDs last a long time, anyway. I have an LED bulb that is about 7 years old. I moved it from my previous bike to the Voyager and it's still going strong. The little reflector thing on the GTR bulb is silly. Just get a 3 (or more) sided LED bulb to get 360° of output like an incandescent bulb.

These look pretty good: https://www.amazon.com/GEEMAI-Headlight-Conversion-Lifetime-Support/dp/B073QF2TNK/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8. If I needed to replace mine, I would consider one of these as I can't get the one I have anymore.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-17-2018, 12:01 AM   #17

Thanks to Atom and Sabre-t for their input and suggestions. Much appreciated

Old 03-17-2018, 03:28 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballbreaker View Post
Thanks for the input Demolition Man. This is why I am a member on the Forum. Good to hear other opinions. What are you running for a headlight? Stock or otherwise.
My headlight is stock. Yes, I would love to switch to an LED bulb, but due to OUR laws here in germany, it is highly illigal. Only the total headlight with E-mark would be legal and those with that e-mark are wayyyy to expensive over here. Most of the time, i switch on all three lights on the voyager, than it is bright enough at night.

Cu,
Sven

MY LIFE - MY RULES !

2018 Indian Roadmaster

Old 03-17-2018, 11:19 AM   #19

Did not realize the laws were stricter in Germany about lighting. If running lites and headlight are sufficient then why would you change. Ride safe Demolition Man

Old 03-17-2018, 11:28 AM   #20

Hey Atom. Just doing some research on what bulb you are running . Sounds like something worth trying. Were you able to fit the rubber dust cover on as well for the installation. Also noted they are only sold in pairs. Is this the company you purchased from or were you able to purchase in Canada and if in Canada which company. Thanks for all the info.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-18-2018, 04:20 AM   #21

Quote:
Did not realize the laws were stricter in Germany about lighting. If running lites and headlight are sufficient then why would you change. Ride safe Demolition Man
I would like to switch to a complete LED LAMP, but only if that would be really plug-n-play AND if they would be cheaper. The light/brightness is really good. But due to price, law and fines you could get, if everything is not properly done and legal AND I dont ride in darkness very often, i leave it as it is.

Cu,
Sven

MY LIFE - MY RULES !

2018 Indian Roadmaster

Old 03-18-2018, 07:47 AM   #22

Quote:
To Vulcan E. Was looking at the led bulb that you installed. How did you install and were you able to use the spring. To Atom were there any install problems with your install as well. Thanks in advance Thanks for the info Vulcan E. Didn't realized you had replied already.
I just put it where the old bulb was (which was a HID bulb BTW, and the LED is hands down better than the HID). I couldn't use the stock retaining clip, because the fan part is in the way, but I did use a couple zip ties to hold it in. You also can't use the rubber boot over the back of the bulb. I've had no problems with water or moisture getting in. I do plan on machining a 2 piece ring (similar to the stock exhaust header flanges) to replace the function of the zip ties, but I'm not in no hurry, cause I've had no problems with the zip ties. I do like my bulb a lot, but I can see the benefit of the one's with the cooling fins, and the 3 sided one's too.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 03-18-2018, 02:06 PM   #23

Thanks for the replies from Demolition Man and VulcanE. I think I am leaning more to the cooling fins for ease of install. Still got some more homework to do before making decision however which ever way I go I want to purchase within the next two weeks. Snow is starting to melt pretty good.

Old 03-18-2018, 02:11 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg View Post
Because most of the LED aftermarket bulbs have heat-sinks or fans on the back that get in the way of the wire clip that holds it in.
I’ve put many different styles in cars for people and never had an issue with the clip holding it in. It can be a little tricky slipping it under the clip while it is under the heat sink, but never had one yet where I couldn’t get it to latch.

Old 03-18-2018, 05:03 PM   #25

Thanks Bon Voyager for the input.

Old 03-18-2018, 10:35 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonVoyager View Post
I’ve put many different styles in cars for people and never had an issue with the clip holding it in. It can be a little tricky slipping it under the clip while it is under the heat sink, but never had one yet where I couldn’t get it to latch.
Be sure to come back and show us how you did it then.

I got mine to fit, sort of, but it was certainly in a much different shape to what it was before I started.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 03-19-2018, 10:40 AM   #27

Ballbreaker - I ordered from www.xenondepot.com, it's a Canadian company but priced USD. They must sell more into the US more than Canada, i don't know. And yes I did get the dust cover on too. I didn't need to make any adjustments/modifications to install the LED.

2006 Vulcan Nomad
2003 Road Star Silverado *SOLD*

Old 03-19-2018, 12:34 PM   #28

Thanks Atom for all your help and info. Going to order this week and try them out.

Old 03-19-2018, 03:50 PM   #29

I went with one of these. Very happy with it over stock bulb. It plugged right into the stock plug and fit the headlight housing with no problem.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...+HB2+%2F+9003+

Old 03-19-2018, 04:27 PM   #30

I had a spring steel wire clip from something I took apart. I just had to cut it and put a little more bend in it to make it work to hold my LED in place. I don't remember what it came from.