Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 07-29-2009, 07:16 PM   #16

Engine Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul
I ride with lowers ( hd knock-offs from 'Premeux') all the time---and have not noticed a heat increase----when on the move---my fan does not come on. It does come on when stopped at Lights or in traffic on very hot days----thats normal.
Thats like mine as well, it has to be in the 90's before I feel heat on my legs off the motor. Most times I don't notice a thing.
Now my pal on his Ultra feels the heat long before I do.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-29-2009, 09:30 PM   #17

Engine Heat

I'll attest to the heat on an Ultra. In stock setup; it is definitely hotter than my Nomad ever got -- except on 90+ days.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 07-30-2009, 05:04 AM   #18

Send a message via Skype™ to ken
Engine Heat

Thanks for all of the comments...I appreciate everyones input. I think the heat radiating off the rear cylinder is not normal when the outside temp is only betweeen 77-80 F. I'll have it checked with I get back home. Still runs great though....Cheers.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:54 AM   #19

Engine Heat

Hey all (esp Macmac & BobHamblin): I haven't been to a wind tunnel but I have had the bike on a chasis dyno numerous times. I help a friend who builds 1/8 mile harley drag bikes and he let's me play with my stuff time to time. When we do pulls we have 4 large cooling fans set up and there's about a 60MPH wind in the room. I haven't done a smoke thingie but he has a thermometer that looks like a timing light that you can point at surfaces and get temps from. My engine is being cooled just fine. Actually the rear cylinder is getting better flow and registering temps more similar to the front than when the stock intakes was in place but the striking difference is: after 6 minutes and 2 WOT pulls the front surface of my RH saddlebag was 42 degrees (139F) hotter than my LH bag. Painter (my friend) says it should be 10-15 degrees more because of the rear cylinder exhaust but the rest is coming from the improved but redirected air flow.
MacMac, I read your posts. Pretty inventive guy! You come up with any ideas on how to divert some of the flow with out reducing the overall flow, share???
2010 Titanium Goldwing
2014 KLR 650 New Edition

Old 07-31-2009, 08:09 AM   #20

Engine Heat

+1 I feel the heat on my right leg more than the left, with an all stock bike, but really only notice it when I am stopped, and not when the bike is moving. The fins on the engine act like heat sinks, similar to the cooling fans placed on Central Processing Units (CPU) in a computer. They themselves, do not cool the engine, they draw heat from the block, which alows air to hit them and therefore cool it. The majority of the heat that we feel is a direct result of this process, and there isn't a whole lot that you can do about it. Added heat from a Caddman, or Hypercharger is just going to add to your discomfort.

If you think the Nomad is hot, try riding a freaking HD sometime, you'll swear you have 3rd degree burns on your legs!!!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-31-2009, 06:12 PM   #21
Sr. Contributor

Engine Heat

trosco,
"You come up with any ideas on how to divert some of the flow with out reducing the overall flow, share??? "

Dunno what yer talking about here, what flow are we talking about?

One thing I can do and has a bad habit of coolin me on a hot day, a hot day to me is about 86 degrees F is ride with desert dawgs on the crash bars. Thaese big sails seem to imporve MPG's, but you wouldn't think so to see em on a bike.

Thats is my best guess to air flowing over these bikes doing anything good. i sure like em in rain which is often on the East Wet Coast, and in Fall when it gets in the teens before i give it up...

What flow?

The right side cover is toasted with tan bubble paint near the V&H baggers header.. so things are warmer at times than they might be. I have a TFI on and it works well, but still there is heat...

Do you think I should go slower? I figured faster would bring in more cooled air rather than slower, but I can be wrong. The cops don't seem to like my rate of speed in hard rain and then it is so i stay dryer.

If I do about 75 mph in a hard down pour God is dumpin on my head rain I can see what looks like smoke running past me, but no on me.. I am inside a pretty dry bubble.

It is a New Hampster thing.. Here if you don't ride in rain you just don't ride.

You guys would hate me if you could see how filthy my bike is. I have no choice but to ride 1/2 mile of dirt just to get to the town road, and it is a friggin mid hole too!

In a few miles the bike gets as clean as its gonna get.. in the rain..... Or is flow meaning water in my roads?

Got 2 inches now today and it is still pouring down. Anyone ever try out the pontoon set?

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it