Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-18-2016, 04:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
Is your air filter clean?
Dan, yes I just cleaned it a month ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridefree View Post
Hi Tim , The two white caps should be there because the cold air valves have been removed . The larger hose on your right is your crankcase breather hose and should be left open .
I would also check your filter and make sure it`s clean and it does look as though your throttle body needs a good cleaning . Toothbrush and some carb cleaner or seafoam works very well .
Hope you get your bike running and enjoy your trip .
Barry, I did clean the throttle body as you suggested,thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshelly View Post
I'm guessing you have a fuel delivery problem. ( plugged screen in the tank or ethanol ate something) Do you run any additives in the winter to counteract the ethanol for storage?
Dave, I do put stabilizer in the tank and use ethanol free gas to store the bike over the winter. My mechanic says he believes it is a pluged filter in the fuel pump. I told him I thought it was not possible to take the fuel pump apart to clean the filter. He looked at the schematic on line and said he has taken quite a few Suzuki ones apart and cleaned them and this one looks to be the same. So that is where we will start. I should say that is where he will start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldhthept View Post
sorry, thought he had a cadman mod... why remove solenoids completely and not do Cadman or aftermarket air intake?
I removed the cold air solenoids because they are not necessary and I didn't like the clickity clack noise they made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
If those white caps were leaking, your engine would be surging at idle due to a vacuum leak. They are there because your idle air solenoids have been removed. The taped up wires are the leads that went to the idle air solenoids. You don't want them shorting out against ground, it could cook your ECU. See, a little bike knowledge is a good thing.

Sorry about your trip, buddy. Hopefully the dealer will get you back on the road quickly. It sounds to me like it's a fuel problem, like the FI isn't getting enough fuel.
Scott, yeah I am the one who removed the solenoids, and capped the pipe things. I made sure to tape up the wires real good also. My mechanic thinks the problem is fuel delivery also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc View Post
Sorry to hear about the set back Tim. You have had this bike for awhile, and unless you never went over 70 mph with it, I am wondering why you question mods done to it previously as a possible cause. One other possibility is slipping clutch, was the engine still Reving well and if you dropped it into 4 the could you get it to accelerate abut better?
I question the mods I have done previously because I am a crappy mechanic. I guess it is a confidence issue, or lack of confidence issue.
It is not a slipping clutch, that is the first thing I checked while on the interstate.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-18-2016, 05:47 PM   #17

I just thought I'd mention . Last season I bought a used throttle body of a 2006 nomad . When I got it I took it apart and cleaned it . I noticed when I took the fuel pressure regulator off it had a very small screen in it . I don't think the odds are it's plugged because of the other two filters the fuel has to flow through before it gets there . But always got to know there is one just in case .
If some thing small got stuck in there that would definitely reduce fuel flow .

Old 05-18-2016, 05:57 PM   #18

Thanks Barry, I will relay the info to my mechanic.
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 05-18-2016, 07:02 PM   #19

You could hear the clickity clack of the solenoids in the dog bowl with the engine running?? You have a gift my friend.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:18 PM   #20

Quote:
You could hear the clickity clack of the solenoids in the dog bowl with the engine running?? You have a gift my friend.
A deaf person could here that noise.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-18-2016, 08:30 PM   #21
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Tim did this happen right after you topped off the tank? Reason being when I rode my Nomad to Mesquite in 2008 I topped it off and it was really hot outside. Remember the whistling cap syndrome. My gas cap was so bad that after filling up in Las Vegas my bike got slower and slower until it wouldn't run over 65. I pulled over under a overpass and tried to open the cap and couldn't because of it vapor locking. Finally I let it cool down and the cap came off. I heard air either entering or exiting and after that the bike ran fine. Each time I "overfilled" the tank this would happen until I took the gas cap vent plug out and it never happened again.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 05-18-2016, 08:37 PM   #22

Shoot! I hope it gets fixed and you get back on the road soon!
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 05-18-2016, 10:51 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc View Post
A deaf person could here that noise.
You got that right Norm. I could hear it even without my hearing aids in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post
Tim did this happen right after you topped off the tank? Reason being when I rode my Nomad to Mesquite in 2008 I topped it off and it was really hot outside. Remember the whistling cap syndrome. My gas cap was so bad that after filling up in Las Vegas my bike got slower and slower until it wouldn't run over 65. I pulled over under a overpass and tried to open the cap and couldn't because of it vapor locking. Finally I let it cool down and the cap came off. I heard air either entering or exiting and after that the bike ran fine. Each time I "overfilled" the tank this would happen until I took the gas cap vent plug out and it never happened again.
I thought of that Brad because my Drifter has done that a couple times.
I did open the cap but that didn't seem to help.
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 05-19-2016, 09:17 AM   #24

Tim, so much for the relatively easy solutions. Maybe it will be a new "simple" fix that none of us have experienced or thought of. Hoping you get a quick turnaround and can yet head out on your trip.

Dan K
Member #100
2009 ST1300: Performance exceeding even Victory riders' boasts.

Old 05-19-2016, 01:26 PM   #25
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Tim can hear a gnat fart 100 yards away. Actually, I think he's a bit hard of hearing.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 05-19-2016, 10:19 PM   #26

Sorry for the delayed (hope that all it is, delayed) trip. I know you were looking forward to it. Good luck with the "fix".

Old 05-20-2016, 04:03 PM   #27

Hope you get it going, and I hope it is just a partially clogged filter/pick up screen.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 05-21-2016, 01:04 AM   #28

Any update?
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 05-21-2016, 07:51 AM   #29

Yes any updates? Inquiring minds want to know!

Old 05-21-2016, 01:05 PM   #30

OK, seems the filter had very little if anything in it. Not the problem.
If you remember back to when I installed my cam chain extenders I cut the air intake to get it out of the way. Well it seems the epoxy and silicone I used to put it back together vibrated loose on the top and it was or is sucking so much air it caused a lean problem. The plugs are white so my mechanic believes that is the problem. He is going to use the epoxy they have for a temporary repair to get me back on the road but believes it will vibrate loose again. Hope it lasts long enough so I can do a couple trips to the Catskill Mountains and Pennsylvania before Cindy's vacation is over.
I do not want to go with all the BS a lot of guys do with removing the tube, adding an air cleaner to the right side, getting a fuel thing, sooooooooooooo, I am buying a new air tube and having him install it after Cindy's vacation is over.
I know, I know, but I like to keep my bike stock.
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]