Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 08-02-2012, 05:04 PM   #16
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleman View Post
I am trying to find out if I can use the existing bulbs I already have when I switch to the Kuryakyn set.
If it is not leds, then it is very likey that stock like bulbs will work.

1157 is a std bulb for many vehicals where run brake and even run brake turn are used. Also the 1156 is used as running lights, marker lights and in our case rear turn sigs....

Kuri makes both std lamps and led lamps.....

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-03-2012, 03:13 AM   #17

Quote:
I am trying to find out if I can use the existing bulbs I already have when I switch to the Kuryakyn set.
You are ordering the amber Kury deep dish bezels, no need to be ordering bulbs, your stock 1156 and 1157 bulbs will be just fine.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:34 AM   #18
Sr. Contributor

Won't the new lamps also have bulbs? I have almost never seen custom lamps with out new bulbs, somehwere in the kit.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 08-03-2012, 10:30 AM   #19

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by just call me Mr. Hibbs View Post
You are ordering the amber Kury deep dish bezels, no need to be ordering bulbs, your stock 1156 and 1157 bulbs will be just fine.
Thanks. Looking forward to getting them and getting them installed. Do you have a set and did you find them easy to install?

Eagleman
VBA# - 01172
2006 Vulcan Nomad Green/Silver

But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. They shall mount up with wings like eagles:
they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint - Isaiah 40:31

Old 08-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #20

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramakill View Post
Eagleman, They are a cinch to install and are made by Kuryakyn and come with install instructions. I got mine (amber lense, pair x 2) from CruiserCustomizing @ $36/pr. (http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/ku...s/part/KY-2270), who also have a short video on the installation. The earlier ones I believe were all plastic, but the latest have a chromed metal housing & are very good quality.

To install, simply undo the single screw on the bottom of the stock lense and tilt it up and it will come off. You then remove the original reflector from the indicator body (the deep dish bezels have their own inbuilt reflector) and also the metal thread clip from the old lense and slide it onto the new bezel. The only part that is a bit tricky is when reinstalling the new bezel, where you need to be careful in lining up the cutout at the top of the new bezel with the indicator housing retaining lip (it is made of plastic and can break easily). The CC vid explains this quite well.

Good luck!!
What do you mean - "Remove the original reflector from the indicator body"?

Eagleman
VBA# - 01172

But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. They shall mount up with wings like eagles:

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #21
Sr. Contributor

Eagleman I looked harder at these items.. I also followed everyone 's links and instructions..

If all you are buying is the clear deep dish lenses and their built on trim rings you will need a set of amber colored bulbs as 1157 for the front.

A set of 1156 Amber bulbs for the rear..

And these bulbs are very easy to buy in any auto parts stores as well....

If you can take off the stock yellow lenses you can replace them with these very easy.

One little tip is to work over a old pillow case in case you drop a screw or the screw clip falls off the lense tab. Little parts like to fall and bounce, making them hard to find.

The only tool you need is a decent phillips head screw driver. Do not over tighten screws either... When the screw stops you stop or you will sheer off the plastic tab.

And a hint watcjhing the install video is that these lenses pretty much snap on in place and then the screw just makes sure they stay there.

I like the clear O ring that allows a seal and still passes light to the side too.

I don't like that the clear lense shows the guts if the lamp he is working in as there uis no beveled mirror reflector and you see ugly guts of the inner housing.

It does appear that this shows up only when the bulb is ON. but the ft bulbs are on all the time the key switch is. oh well

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 08-03-2012, 01:51 PM   #22

Waving

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac View Post
Eagleman I looked harder at these items.. I also followed everyone 's links and instructions..

If all you are buying is the clear deep dish lenses and their built on trim rings you will need a set of amber colored bulbs as 1157 for the front.

A set of 1156 Amber bulbs for the rear..

And these bulbs are very easy to buy in any auto parts stores as well....

If you can take off the stock yellow lenses you can replace them with these very easy.

One little tip is to work over a old pillow case in case you drop a screw or the screw clip falls off the lense tab. Little parts like to fall and bounce, making them hard to find.

The only tool you need is a decent phillips head screw driver. Do not over tighten screws either... When the screw stops you stop or you will sheer off the plastic tab.

And a hint watcjhing the install video is that these lenses pretty much snap on in place and then the screw just makes sure they stay there.

I like the clear O ring that allows a seal and still passes light to the side too.

I don't like that the clear lense shows the guts if the lamp he is working in as there uis no beveled mirror reflector and you see ugly guts of the inner housing.

It does appear that this shows up only when the bulb is ON. but the ft bulbs are on all the time the key switch is. oh well
Thanks for the info., I bought the amber lens model so I think I can use the existing bulbs. I plan to do both the front and back lights. It looks like this added item dresses up the front and back just enough.
VBA# - 01172

Old 08-03-2012, 02:08 PM   #23
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Thanks for the info., I bought the amber lens model so I think I can use the existing bulbs. I plan to do both the front and back lights. It looks like this added item dresses up the front and back just enough.
That will work.... both the 1156 and 1157 come in clear or amber. Maybe they still come in red too, but I haven't looked since I haven't needed any in years.

There are a few types of 1157 the duel filiment bulbs that have the filiment that is used as brake/turn some what brighter.. I have one in the tail light now, but can't recall the exact part number.

On your bike if the lights are all stock you could use this newer bulb in the tail light, and on the ft turn sigs for a somewhat brighter flash.

You are only changing the lense and trim ring really, no sence even touching the bulbs unless they are dingy in dust.

These 1156 and 1157 have been around longer than I have worked as a mechanic, and I began in 1968... You can buy these any place that sells automotive bulbs.

let me know if a few candle power brighter flash is what you would want and in that case i will get the correct number.

In the last 5 years or so I guess, other options for older style bulbs have come on the market.

At first glance i took it you were getting a whole new light bar with all new light buckets, trim rings, and these would come with bulbs , but the bulbs are not always installed.

Had that been the case lamp types could be anything..

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 08-06-2012, 02:56 AM   #24

Guys, the Kury deep dish bezels have their own reflectors built into the unit, which is why you need to remove the original stock reflector, as it will not fit into the light enclosure if you don't (it will foul the back of the Kury bezel). This is explained in the included instruction sheet which I can post here if anyone is interested. Also check the CC video which shows this.

Mac - Because the Kury bezel has its own built in reflector, this actually hides the guts of the enclosure. You still see the globe & filament (when lit) which some don't like, but this didn't bother me as they still look 1,000% over the stock lenses. (I don't like that the clear lense shows the guts if the lamp he is working in as there is no beveled mirror reflector and you see ugly guts of the inner housing.)

Before deciding on these I researched some direct LED replacements and found no-one makes single filament amber LED units, which is required by law here in Oz.
'08 Vulcan Nomad 1600 - SOLD
'07 Vulcan 900 Custom - SOLD
Ulysses Member #59316
VBA member #01933

Old 08-06-2012, 03:01 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac View Post
let me know if a few candle power brighter flash is what you would want and in that case i will get the correct number.
Mac, all the 1156 type clear globes I have ever seen, are all 12v 21W. If you know of any higher wattage ones, I'm all ears!!

Incidentally, one of my original rear globes was dusty from a broken seal. Just needed a wipe over & good as new!
Ulysses Member #59316
VBA member #01933

Last edited by Ramakill; 08-06-2012 at 03:04 AM.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:11 AM   #26
Sr. Contributor

Sylvania Automotive Lamp Catalog

cp = Candle Power.

Brake/Tail: 1157 with a Ba15d base: 32/3cp

2357LL with a Ba15d base: 40/3cp (the LL stands for Long Life.

2357A with Ba15d base: 30/2.2cp (the A is for Amber coating on the bulb)
There are others, but I am running these clear's and so can tell you they flash brighter.

These are duel element bulbs, and I buy mine at parts Plus.

I added 2 rear lamps from Drag, similar to what you see on Harley for run Brake, and mounted them on the bar under the rear fender, so they are in the shadow of the wheel and the saddle bags.

I have these brighter brake /stop bulbs in these and the stock light on the fender.

There are other lamps that will inter change said to be brighter, but I have not used them yet.

So far I have never had to replace the stock sigs bulbs, and so have never seen a reflector inside one. The HD style lamps have these though, as most light buckets do, but on the kury video and what ever bike that was, I didn't see any.

I was sort of guessing the Nomad might not have a reflector too, since the lens is made to be one, diffusing the light passing thru .

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 08-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #27

Mac, you could be right there as when I installed the Kury bezels on my 'Nad, there were no internal reflectors, so maybe Ma Kaw, didn't bother. The supplied instructions definitely say to remove 'any' stock internal reflector, so could be just a universal fitment thing.

Now something else I noticed when re-viewing the CC video (the bike is a Honda Shadow BTW). The lenses that Kyle is installing on that bike do not have the inbuilt reflectors as did mine, so they may have since changed the design based on customer feedback.
Ulysses Member #59316
VBA member #01933

Old 08-07-2012, 09:12 AM   #28

Waving

Quote:
Mac, you could be right there as when I installed the Kury bezels on my 'Nad, there were no internal reflectors, so maybe Ma Kaw, didn't bother. The supplied instructions definitely say to remove 'any' stock internal reflector, so could be just a universal fitment thing.

Now something else I noticed when re-viewing the CC video (the bike is a Honda Shadow BTW). The lenses that Kyle is installing on that bike do not have the inbuilt reflectors as did mine, so they may have since changed the design based on customer feedback.
I think since they had already went with a white lense and amber bulb the stock reflector on the Shadow may have already been removed when they changed from the stock amber lense to the white lens that Kyle removed. I have ordered the new bezels for front and back and will report back after the install as to whether my 2006 Nomad had the internal reflector that may have to be removed.

Eagleman
VBA# - 01172

Old 08-10-2012, 09:50 PM   #29

Thumbs Up

Quote:

I just installed the new bezels from Kury. I put on both the front and back. When I installed the front ones I had to remove the internal reflector plate from inside both the right and left side. When I installed the rear ones there was no inside reflector plate on either side. The hardest part was getting the tiny screws back into the housing. The originals unsnapped easily and the new ones snap in perfectly. No problems. Had to make sure the rubber ring stayed in place. WOW what a difference they make. With my fire and steel light bar in front they REALLY look sharp and with the new Cobra Billet Tip exhaust the rear ones really look great. If you want to dress up the front and rear of your bike this is the cheapest and best looking mod you can do. I would highly recommend it!!!

Eagleman
VBA# - 01172

Last edited by eagleman; 08-10-2012 at 11:15 PM.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:39 AM   #30

My lenses arrived yesterday. I'll be installing them tomorrow.

Gene Chestnut
Dover, DE
USAF 1968-1995
VBA#01761
2007 Nomad 1600
Black and Titanium