Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 04-12-2017, 01:29 AM   #16

with regards to the clutch cover gasket install, on my year 2000 nomad 1500, the original gasket is paper and some residue may be left which should be removed carefully so as not to scratch or gouge or change the surface of the clutch cover or clutch housing. use a solvent (carb cleaner? I forget) and gently rub with a soft rag. be patient.

the replacement gasket is lead and goes on dry, no grease, no oil or no gasket sealant.

not sure about using silicone to hold it in place, the video uses bolts with the heads cut of, but really go to a nut and bolt house taking your long clutch cover bolt and ask for "set screws" of that length and same metric. set screws have no heads. you will need perhaps 6 or 8 (more if you want). screw in the set screws a bit, place the gasket on then the clutch cover, and begin using the bolts and replacing the set screws.

when replacing the exhaust pipes, dont forget the exhaust pipe gaskets (lead). on my 1500 nomad, I didn't realize that they were needed as the original lead gaskets had disintegrated to a thin film.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-12-2017, 07:05 AM   #17

I hate to disagree with someone, but Judge's washers can be used on ANY 1500 or 1600.

MaKaw took Bob's design and halfway incorporated it into the 1600 but cut the holder.

A little silicone will fill the imperfection in the soft aluminum case.

I've never seen a 'lead' gasket, their usually either paper or a composite of steel and a paper or rubber product, but I'm not in Canada.

Yes you will lose the slipper clutch with Judge's washers, but you will gain the ability to push or roll start your bike.

You do not need to remove the plates let alone soak or dip them in oil.

If you ever put NEW plates in, then soak them in oil for 10 -20 minutes in oil.

An old trick to keep the new gasket from sticking, and making it reusable is to soak it for 20-30 minutes in transmission fluid, it will come right off the next time.

I can say that I have put the clutch nut back on many times with an impact, and yes you can put a socket on another bolt to hold the assembly, but none of them have that ungodly amount of torque. So it's possible to strip the threads or even break the other bolt.

If you haven't purchased the spring yet, use the spring from a 1500 MeanStreak.

It will not be significantly stiffer to pull where the Barnett is considerably stiffer.

I just passed the 08 1600 Nomad that used to be Roadhawg's on to a friend in Virginia, it has a Barnett and the it is a lot stiffer.

The first thing James said after getting a mile or so down the road was that it had to go.

MT
VBA 936

Old 04-12-2017, 08:00 AM   #18
Advanced Member

sounds like your clutch plates are fine, don't remove them just remove the spring and install judges and the 2002 meany spring and leave the plates as is cause they are fine, use the penny to both remove and install the NUT, it's copper and the gears are not so the penny will give way first before it harms any gears, the penny is fine, but do use an electric impact on the NUT to remove comes off with 2 hits, but don't use electric to install the NUT, use hand torque wrench to 150 ft-lbs (by hand only not electric), and use lots of grease to stick judges washer together so they stay in place while the NUT is being torqued down, the grease will disappear and melt with engine heat, and make sure judges are installed )() i think that order, better check their order first when installing and double check cause you don't want them slipping out of place or in the incorrect order and have to tear things down again, and you can put your bike on kick-stand and do this job without removing any oil from crankcase, straight up you can't so do this job between your oil change

Old 04-12-2017, 03:54 PM   #19

1. my apologies with regards to use of judges washers on late 1500's and 1600's. misread gadget. thankyou for correcting the misconception.
(LATE 1500’s and 1600’s). *If you have the factory installed “indexing-washer” install it as it was, between the spring and the large ID washer. It may be eliminated ONLY if the M/Streak spring is used WITH the washers. I do NOT have data on the life expectancy of the spring, when eliminating the indexing washer. (The Late models have had the “holder” back-cut the thickness of the indexing washer.)With the introduction of the Vulcan 1600 Kawasaki kind of copied Judge's design with a modification. You can see it in the diagram at right, part number 13280A. The washer is also used in 2004 1500 engines. If your clutch spring has failed at fairly low (under 50,000) mileage Judge suggests 1600 owners toss this part and replace it with his washer set.

2. using a socket wrench on the nut to the right is from the 1500 service manual if I remember correctly, will check once I have that computer up again.

3. there is a reference to clutch slipping due to the steel clutch plates being glazed and the necessity to deglaze them (emery cloth?). or even slipping due to jaso ma oil, which is now subcategorized as jaso ma1. while subcategory jaso ma2 is grabbier.

Old 04-12-2017, 05:49 PM   #20

Wow! Lots of info on this subject. I ride an 03 1500 Nomad and have bought the Meanie spring for this job. I'll definitely go through gadgets instructions on this too. Still waiting on email that the washers have been shipped. Bought from EZON. Thanks again for all the responses. Great bunch of people on this site. I'll let you know how it turns out.

2003 Nomad 1500Fi
V & H pipes
MS Batwing
Meanie spring with Judges washers
Phat risers
‘97 Royal Star rear fender rack

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-12-2017, 06:04 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brydgy View Post
Wow! Lots of info on this subject. I ride an 03 1500 Nomad and have bought the Meanie spring for this job. I'll definitely go through gadgets instructions on this too. Still waiting on email that the washers have been shipped. Bought from EZON. Thanks again for all the responses. Great bunch of people on this site. I'll let you know how it turns out.
I seem to recall that EZON either went out of business,or were just not sending what people paid for.Think it was mention on here too.

Old 04-12-2017, 08:39 PM   #22

The 3 limiter springs go )(), they are NOT the Judge's washers.

The Judge's washers go one on each side of the spring.

They are sized differently and cannot be installed in the wrong order.

Please do not post incorrect information.

You could ruin someone's bike or endanger their safety.

MT
VBA 936

Old 04-12-2017, 09:09 PM   #23

You're kidding me mick! Only other place I found was here http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Clutch-Spring...-/131838241237 Would they be the same?

2003 Nomad 1500Fi
V & H pipes
MS Batwing
Phat risers

Old 04-13-2017, 01:36 AM   #24

Postage: US $39.17 (approx. AU $52.38) International Priority Shipping to Australia | See details

Item location:
Vinemont, Alabama, United States

Posts to:
United States and many other countries | See details
Import charges:
US $0.00 (amount confirmed at checkout)
Delivery:
Estimated between Tue. 25 Apr. and Mon. 1 May.
Includes international tracking

And $33.42 for the springs

thats why everything is soooo expensive to get from the states for us Aussies
Cadmad / K&N + original intact
Progresive 412HD / Front springs also
Darkside rear tire 36psi 195/55/16
Towbar/ classic trailer
Penrite HPR15 diesel oil
Led lights front and back

Old 04-13-2017, 03:37 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brydgy View Post
You're kidding me mick! Only other place I found was here http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Clutch-Spring...-/131838241237 Would they be the same?
Thats weird how that link starts on ebay,then goes to Viglink. I tracked down the place i bought mine on ebay,and it does the same.wtf is going on ?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clutch-Spr...item1eb22be9d5

Old 04-13-2017, 04:37 AM   #26

badacebillet.com

That ebay page is one of Paul Fuller's or Bad Ace Billet as his machine shop is called.

On the MeanStreak forum he is kind of like their version of Joe Norris (Chuckster).

He makes some interesting stuff.

You can go the web page and order the washers direct without going through ebay, Paul won't screw you over like EZON or Scootworks.

MT
VBA 936

Old 04-13-2017, 01:28 PM   #27

Well, all in all, what MAS Said!
Its hard to beat the Judge washers and the meanie spring....Take it from someone who knows....
If you aren't into the Ironman competitions, self torture, getting the grip of some backwoods gorilla, the barnet spring is way overkill. I've tried it, had several customers complain about the clutch pull. Didn't slip though!
My Thunder 6 spring clutch isn't as stout at the Barnett....just a touch more than the meanie though....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Old 04-13-2017, 01:39 PM   #28

Paul won't screw you over like EZON or Scootworks.

I presume that i was right,and not the ony one to hear of this.Thanks for the nod on Scootworks.

Old 04-13-2017, 05:05 PM   #29

Well I contacted Judge himself and can buy from him. I also emailed EZON and now he states my order will go out on the 15th. I ordered on the 5th!

2003 Nomad 1500Fi
V & H pipes
MS Batwing
Phat risers

Old 04-13-2017, 05:15 PM   #30

A quick google search confirms that lead is a gasket material used because it is cheap/inexpensive. Lead is also soft malleable, dense, durable, long life span, generally corrosion resistant. To me seems like a quite suitable gasket material

Why did I say the clutch cover gasket was lead?

Prior to installing the clutch cover gasket, I noted that there was a crevice extending radially across the sealing surface, ie. from the inner edge to the outer edge. Considering the precautions taken in removing the remnants of the old gasket material so as not to score or scratch the aluminum, I realized this could be a leakage risk. Not having taken the gasket out of the package and believing the gasket was steel, I was not satisfied with how to install it from a web search

I went to the dealer and said I think I need another clutch cover gasket as this one is defective and what type of sealant would I use on the steel gasket.

The reply was that it went on dry and that it was lead.

Oh, the lead compresses and the small crevice or other small defects are essentially ironed out.

The gasket doesn 't leak.

I am not a metallurgist
1. I am advised that it is lead
2. it is metal
3. it is soft, malleable

to me as indicated it's lead. Of course someone can advise me otherwise.

Upon reviewing the parts picture prior to installing the exhaust pipe, I noted an exhaust pipe holder gasket, that I was sure was not present. I advised the dealer that I had it had not been installed, but was assured that it had to be there but had been crushed and had to be pried or picked out. A muffler flange gasket was also indicated that I had not observed.

I purchased both the exhaust pipe holder gasket (whether there or not it was needed) as well as the muffler flange gasket.

Yep the muffler flange gasket was there, but it was not coming out. The exhaust pipe fit snuggly and with the clamp it would be tight.

The package of the muffler flange gasket stated that it was lead and that it should be disposed of properly. There you go a lead gasket.

In my earlier post, I stated that the original gasket that I removed from my year 2000 nomad was paper. I looked at a piece of that gasket today more closely. It is not paper. I had seen that type of gasket material many years ago, I believe it could be phenolic.