Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 11-18-2010, 08:18 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
Feral Hog Hunting Texas Style

Think of them as very large, very fast and very dangerous vermine. Helo is not for sport but for safe and effective population control.

30 years ago we had a jackrabbit epidemic here in Idaho. Farmers and ranchers were begging people to come out and shoot them. Fish and Game gave away jacklighting permits. Farmers put up fences to trap thousands of rabbits at a time in a pen and then they would wade in with clubs. National news was terrible. Rabbits could destroy thousands of tons of hay stacks in a few days. We would jacklight around haystacks, when you pull up and turn on the lights the ground would literally move with rabbits. It was unbelievable. And it was a true emergency. But the animal lovers still screamed murder. Guess it is easy to be critical when your livelyhood is not being taken from you. It would be different if it was a swarm of mice, but rabbits are so cute and pigs are seen in pens at county fairs and in cartoons.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-18-2010, 08:46 PM   #17
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho (High Plains Drifter)
It would be different, but rabbits are so cute and pigs are seen in pens at county fairs and in cartoons.
Yes and I've seen some on two wheels as well.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 11-18-2010, 10:43 PM   #18

For as long as I cam remember, we've been hunting family land in deep east Texas. From twenty years ago the ferrell hogs were an issue. We killed them on site one: because a smaller one is fine table fare, but two: because a big one is damned dangerous and unpredictable to the point of being deadly.
Given the chance, and inclination, he will Kill your a$$. Oh, and they do an amazing amount of damage to the ground and any crops that might be growing.
So, if you've never had to deal with a 700 plus pound "Tusker", I suggest you hold your opinion.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:44 PM   #19

Dog killers.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:47 AM   #20
Sr. Contributor

I miss Ole' Yeller...
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-19-2010, 09:13 AM   #21

I never realized that wild hogs were so prolific, and that they were such a problem in some areas.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 11-19-2010, 10:50 AM   #22
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringadingh
I never realized that wild hogs were so prolific, and that they were such a problem in some areas.
They are bad and getting worse. There is an area around Childress, TX that used to raise peanuts as their main crop. After hogs got a foothold in the area, they can't raise them anymore. Hogs love peanuts.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 11-19-2010, 02:38 PM   #23

Search "Pig bomb" on youtube for several "Discovery" episodes about the growing swine population. They claim that around 1994 the pig/hog numbers 'exploded' for some reason and doubled in a few years, and is still growing.

My wife and I were surprised in Alabama while hiking on a quiet trail by a LARGE hog...I would guess it to be 300 to 400 lbs. I wasn't worried about it eating me 'cause I can run faster than Moma can....

Old 11-19-2010, 03:34 PM   #24
Advanced Member

Think about what it would be like if feral dogs started multiplying like crazy in the area you live in. And that they became more like wolves than domesticated dogs. How would you go about controlling them? You would do it however you could do it to be most effective and to stay safe. Same with feral hogs.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:01 PM   #25

I guess I'm alone on this one. Does anyone REALLY believe they have control over anything to do with Nature? A bit arrogant I'd say. Or is it perhaps the joy of scratching that ancient and inner urge to kill something, justified by keeping one's plants from being eaten?
<sigh> Whatever...

Old 11-19-2010, 07:37 PM   #26
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelh
I guess I'm alone on this one. Does anyone REALLY believe they have control over anything to do with Nature? A bit arrogant I'd say. Or is it perhaps the joy of scratching that ancient and inner urge to kill something, justified by keeping one's plants from being eaten?
<sigh> Whatever...
Michael, this is something that is man made and not natural. Someone turned the pigs loose thinking they would have some localized hunting. Well guess what, they breed like crazy and have since expanded beyond your belief.

This type of hunting is something I don't necessarily like but do I think it is necessary - Yes. Do they eat plants, yes but they do a whole lot more than that. The peanut growers that now can't grow peanuts. They have had to make drastic changes that have dramatically impacted their economics of making a living. They have invested in the equipment to grow them as well as the plants to process them. That is now sitting idle until they can get control of them.

As the old saying "until you've walked a mile in another man's shoes" is quite appropriate here.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 11-19-2010, 07:55 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelh
I guess I'm alone on this one. Does anyone REALLY believe they have control over anything to do with Nature? A bit arrogant I'd say. Or is it perhaps the joy of scratching that ancient and inner urge to kill something, justified by keeping ones plants from being eaten?
<sigh> Whatever...
With all due respect... I don't believe anyone here is trying to be arrogant.

It appears, however, you are speaking about something you have not indicated any personal knowledge or experience with. (Maybe you do, but I haven't seen that mentioned in your two posts so far. If you do, then let "us" know.)

I would like to comment on your statement on whether someone "thinks" they can "control" nature. I am not sure where you are coming-from with that statement. What do you mean control nature?

For me, if it is a pig or a group of pigs versus my safety, property, or livelihood... I would shoot it, or them. So, from that standpoint, I guess one could say I did control nature. Both of us are made by nature (if I get your drift); and one of "god's" creatures shot the second -- thus it appears "nature" was controlled in this example.

Now regarding "controlling nature" as a whole... I don't suspect anyone could expect to "control" earthquakes, volcanoes, hurricanes, tornadoes, tsunami's or other such occurrences that are directly related to nature... but I sure as heck can shoot a pig if it is going to eat me, my family, my food, my property, or interfere in my livelihood. ;) Chalk one up for me against nature. ;)

Again... I am NOT trying to be offensive here, but clearly you have expressed a completely different opinion on this subject.

I, and others, would like to hear how you would control the "wild-pig" problem that these people are facing. My ears are open, as well as my mind on what you have to say... and I would appreciate hearing more about your point of view. You may just provide something to change my opinion! :)

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 11-19-2010, 08:33 PM   #28

There is a paragraph at the end of the video that explains what is going on. it's not a bunch of rednecks joy riding in a helicopter shooting hogs nor is it people paying to hunt them that way for sport. it was funded by farmers to control the hog population.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:46 PM   #29

Bone up about pigs.

If this one doesn't change your mind nothing will.

Old 11-20-2010, 12:00 AM   #30

Those Pig Bomb videos are really interesting. If I lived in one of those areas Id love to help out the farmers.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951