Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 08-29-2008, 12:59 PM   #16
Sr. Contributor

Car tire on a 1500

Cadd, I think the 205/60/R16 is pushing it on the 3.5 inch wheel, but the 195/60/R16 will fit due to being pulled in at the rim.

There is a delphi Dark Sider site dealing with a lot of info on the subject in general.

There is no doubt a 205/60/R16 can fit 05 and up Nomads.

I am currently loving my Dunlop SP Sport 5000 in 195/60/R16.

I like the way it works on any surface. Twisties are no problem untill the floor boards stop you from leaning more.

It rides in deep water in pouring down thunderstorms better than the brick. It deals with tar snakes and paint as if they were not there.

No longer do I send rocks pinging into the woods driving the 1/2 mile out of this place, or coming back in for that matter.

The flatter profile is easy to adjust too, and while I must press the bars a little more, at this point I don't notice it, and I like the feel, of holding them down in a corner anyway. it lends to a much more stable feel.

Braking is improved, just because there is more rubber on the road.

For a long time I wasn't of this mind, but am now convinced the 195/60/R16 is a way to go on a 1500 Nomad.

There are issues with tires being mounted. It seems all cat tires take some effort to get mounted to the bead, and some people are pushing the limits of tire pressure to get there, and this isn't close to being safe.

Mine went on with 51 psi on the 3rd try. Between tries I let the air all out and worked spoons in the area that wouldn't 'pop' to the bead. So it is possible to mount with more proper air pressure. I used silicon spray as a tire lube, because i wanted to try Dyna beads.

Both ideas worked out and I will never use lead wheel weights again on anything...

White Horse press in NH has seeming the best deals for Dyna beads at 2 bucks a ounce.. These come in one ounce bags, all you want. They also have a kit which is a small bottle to aid in installing the dyna beads via the alve stem, which includes 3 bags at one ounce each.

A Nomad requires 4 ounces over all for both ft and rr ties, so a kit would need to have one more ounce added. I think the std kit costs 9 bucks.

I have a coleman fuel funnel and stepped it down 2 times with foot long plastic tubing as my install device. Worked like a champ. I did tap the valve stem with a screw driver handle to vibrate the beads, which logg jammed in the tubing. I guess maybe it took a whole 30 seconds to get the beads in the tire.

At this point I can't see any reason to not try it and see.... I just can't find any reason not too.

I did have to find a 'sweet spot' in terms of finding the right psi to suit me. 32 psi for sure was too low a psi, and I got a rear wobble for it.

40 psi was way over the top in terms of hard, and it made for a bad ride in dirt.

I settled on 36 psi, which works well at less than walking speed on gravel sand, wet grass, pine needles, and I can go so fast as i am willing, just over 100 mph on the inacurate speedo, as I will never spend for a healer.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-29-2008, 02:35 PM   #17

Car tire on a 1500

I wont need to replace my rear tire until late next season. If I can find a wide whitewall in 195/60 16 I think I may go to the darkside myself. I not to keen on stick on or paint on whitewalls.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 08-29-2008, 05:31 PM   #18

Car tire on a 1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare
Anyone know of a care tire that will fit the rear of a 1500 Nomad?
a couple of questions remain:
what would your insurance think if you have an accident?
what would the factory say if you have some damage due to a blowout? things to consider.
I believe that a motorcycle tire is the safe way to go. a few bucks savings does not warrant all of the unknowns! ride safely!
Jesus.

Old 08-30-2008, 04:09 AM   #19

Car tire on a 1500

Thanks for pointing me to the website (listed above). This is definitely controversal to say the least, but I can see why many consider it. I wish that tire manufacturers can find a radial to suit our needs but has the grip and traditional shape that we require. I too think that I'll stick with traditional motorcycle tires, but I will be interested to check out some of the rides with car tires on them at the National Rally. (Boy, I really have got to make sure that I'm going now!)
Rich

Old 08-30-2008, 05:55 AM   #20
Advanced Member

Car tire on a 1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
There is no doubt a 205/60/R16 can fit 05 and up Nomads.
With the 195/55/R16, I have about 1/32" clearance on the driveshaft. I can't imagine a 205 width tire fitting in there without rubbing.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-30-2008, 05:59 AM   #21
Advanced Member

Car tire on a 1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringadingh
I wont need to replace my rear tire until late next season. If I can find a wide whitewall in 195/60 16 I think I may go to the darkside myself. I not to keen on stick on or paint on whitewalls.
On car tires the whitewall is only on one side.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:19 AM   #22

Car tire on a 1500

Your right pablo; I forgot about that. Well, I'll have to think about switching over to a car tire then. The whitewalls are something I don't think I want to give up at this time.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 08-30-2008, 08:10 AM   #23
Advanced Member

Car tire on a 1500

just ordered my ct . went with a 195/60/16 dunlop sp5000. there are a few that are using this on the darkside. ordered it thru tire-rack. the cost was 113.00 plus shipping. will be mounting this as soon as it arrives. I pull a trailer quite often and am over the top of loaded weight when riding two up and pulling trailer. 5300 miles on stock stone was not acceptable.

Old 08-30-2008, 05:33 PM   #24
Sr. Contributor

Car tire on a 1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf
just ordered my ct . went with a 195/60/16 dunlop sp5000. there are a few that are using this on the darkside. ordered it thru tire-rack. the cost was 113.00 plus shipping. will be mounting this as soon as it arrives. I pull a trailer quite often and am over the top of loaded weight when riding two up and pulling trailer. 5300 miles on stock stone was not acceptable.
Get ready now while you wait. Buy if you can swingarm seals, and if you have V&H exhaust new head pipe gaskets, just to have on hand. maybe hi temp paint for the ehaust studs and stainless acorns, if your chrome acorns are bad looking.

It is a really good idea when you change the tire to do the 7,500 swingarmservice. More so if it is going to be a CT.

I am running that same tire right now, and I suggest the first tire pressure you try be 36 psi.

You can expect a little fight getting the tire to bead. I had to let the air out 3 times before the 4th try working spoons worked.
I never once exceeded 51 psi to get the tire to bead, and I did use silicon spray as the total lube, because I used Dyna Beads.

I will never again use wheel weights on anything I drive once the swap has been done. Wheel weights now are just for casting slugs for my 30-30 Winchester. Dyna Beads will make wheel weights obsolete.

I live in New Hampster where there is no Sun, but I heard making the tire warm helps mounting it to set on the beads. Maybe that will help the tire go on a bit faster.

I would suggest to not exceed the max psi rating on the tire to make it bead.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 08-30-2008, 08:36 PM   #25

Car tire on a 1500

Riding on the Darkside

Good info on Car Tires on Motorcycles.

Old 08-31-2008, 01:14 AM   #26

Car tire on a 1500

Usually there's no need to over inflate any tire to get it to seat if the bead is properly lubed. Just pump it up to about 40 psi, and let it sit. It will normally creep out & seat within a few minutes. If it doesn't them smack it around lightly with a rubber mallet and it will start creeping and then seat.

Having the rubber warm does help a lot. In Minnesota in the winter it was not uncommon to put a tire and rim into a tank of scalding water to warm them for a while before mounting, as when it was minus 30 or 40<sup>o</sup>F outside, temps inside a shop were often below freezing.

Old 08-31-2008, 03:04 PM   #27

Send a message via Yahoo to nomad
Car tire on a 1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by moenko
Hmmm, car tires are not made for riding on an angle... that must make for a really awkward ride in the twisties ... I think I'll stick to the real deal.
ditto.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:03 AM   #28
Advanced Member

Car tire on a 1500

I am not advocating that anyone should switch to a car tire. I am completely satisfied with my decision, and it works for me. I have had no cornering or handling issues with the car tire, but floorboards and scraping parts prevent me from exploring the outer possibilities of adhesion on this bike. If I was on a sport bike, I would definitely use a motorcycle tire. For my purpose, the car tire is probably safer, since it doesn't wear out so fast. With the MC tire, I was riding on thin tread much too often. Everyone should do what they think is best for their type of bike and riding style. For the Nomad and my style of riding, the car tire works for me. :)