Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 08-20-2019, 01:26 AM   #16

I changed the front tyre from 150 to 130,it made all the difference on getting dragged around by white lines ect. I later put one on the back too,big improvement.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-20-2019, 09:26 AM   #17

Just checked date code per redjays recommendation. Never thought of it. It is 2009 so 20th month of 2009! Yikes! Still looks good but my guess is the rubber is hard as nails.
Thanks for the info mick. I'll look into the 130 sizes as well.

2003 Nomad 1500Fi
V & H pipes
MS Batwing
Meanie spring with Judges washers
Phat risers
‘97 Royal Star rear fender rack

Old 08-20-2019, 06:47 PM   #18

Avon cobra tire has been good for me.

Old 08-21-2019, 11:54 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavor View Post
Avon cobra tire has been good for me.
Thanks flavor. I was looking at the Avon Cobra yet there seems to be a new Avon Cobra Chrome. The tire pattern looks totally different from the Cobra. Fortnine (Canadian Store) has the Cobra as out of stock now which may mean it is no longer available.

2003 Nomad 1500Fi
V & H pipes
MS Batwing
Phat risers

Old 08-27-2019, 10:24 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brydgy View Post
OK. I checked tires and wheel bearings as well as the swing arm bearings. All seem to be tight. I haven't had an opportunity to ride with a lower front tire pressure or look into the shock pressures yet. Steering bearings appear to be fine too. I'm going to borrow a no pressure loss pump for the shocks. I also took the 9" shield off the batwing and replaced with my 5" shield. I'll report back once I am able to do a ride. Thanks again for all the help.
Update. Performed all the above and put shocks at 20psi and front tire at 33psi. Also removed the wind deflectors mounted to the fairing. The bike was far more stabler than before and also less affected by crosswinds. I will most likely go to the 130 tire for the front replacement. Thanks again for the assistance.

2003 Nomad 1500Fi
V & H pipes
MS Batwing
Phat risers

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-02-2019, 10:40 AM   #21
Advanced Member

Also worthwhile to check the steering head bearings. Bearings too tight will cause you to constantly adjust your line because the bike cannot self center for balancing. Or, bearings dented/dinged perhaps due to damage from a hard bump will cause the bike to try and "set" itself into the dents/dings in the steering head bearings and again the bike will not be able to self center for balancing. That too will cause you to constantly readjust your line.

However, to best check the steering head bearings requires the bike to be lifted enough to take all the load off the front end. With the front wheel just off the ground the swing of the forks must feel smooth and steady throughout both directions of swing. ANY notchy or stepped feeling indicates a bearing issue. Also, the forks should easily and fully "flop" in either direction. If the forks doesn't easily flop it also indicates the bearings are too tight or notched in the center position. Any of these conditions can restrict the bike from self-centering/self-balancing, which you have to overcome and constantly correct, which feels just like the bike is wandering or being blown around.