Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 06-05-2017, 09:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLady58 View Post
Well, its not if you let it embarrass you, its did you learn enough from it not to let yourself be embarrassed again.
Usually when I drop mine, I do a little jig and a dance, as a finishing move....adds some theatre to the show....
My ole ElectraGlide was all black....had the crashbars chrome sandblasted off, had them painted black....easier to touch up after dropping....
When she'd fall, I'd step off her, let her go down, then I'd pretend to kick her several times, then pull out my imaginary pistols, and proceed to put her outta my misery....
A good stress reliever!
Afterwards I bow to the audience....then I'd pick her up and ride on....
Might as well have a laugh after you do it....
Unfortunately no body was around the times I dropped mine.
SO did it really happen??
Cadmad / K&N + original intact
Progresive 412HD / Front springs also
Darkside rear tire 36psi 195/55/16
Towbar/ classic trailer
Penrite HPR15 diesel oil
Led lights front and back

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-06-2017, 01:00 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter1600 View Post
Oh, definitely! I'd dropped my ElectraGlide about 5 times in 20+ years! Haven't dropped my Nomad yet, but it'll happen one day....and I'll do it again....
Last time I did it was in Daytona Beach, busy intersection, everyone stayed thru 1 green light, I had folks in both lanes laughing their asses off....I got a standing ovation, then a couple of construction guys came over picking my bike up before I got thru.
They were laughing so hard they almost didn't get my bike up....
I've had folks start chanting, 'Drop it! Drop it!' for years afterwards....I was getting free beer everywhere, even got a free dinner from the restruant I dropped it in front of. I was doing Wierd Als version of the 'Eat It' moves....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Last edited by DragonLady58; 06-06-2017 at 01:08 AM.

Old 06-06-2017, 12:01 PM   #18

I haven't dropped my bike, unless you insist on counting the time I got it out of the garage and did not put the kickstand down, it threw me into the shrubs I had just trimmed, then there was the time I stopped to make a phone call and stepped off the bike without putting the kickstand down. Or the time I was riding with a friend and at a stop my foot slipped on gravel and over it went, picked it up and rode up to a stop sign and my foot slipped again, all within 5 minutes. Last time was back in February at an enhanced riding skills class, I cut too sharp right at real low speed and the engine killed. I have accepted the fact that I will drop my bike at least twice a year, just to keep in practice. Thank God for the case guards and crash bars.

Old 06-06-2017, 12:07 PM   #19
Top Contributor

No crash bars on the new Yamaha Venture !

Old 06-06-2017, 01:24 PM   #20

90% of the dropped bikes are at intersections, usually pea gravel, or sand, and/or oil from cars sitting at a stop light. And people cutting you off, you usually got to really clamp down on the brakes! If your just a touch too heavy on your front brake, it can slide enough to cause you to loose your footing. Only thing bad about big bikes like ours, if you get your foot/ankle under it, you can come away with a broken bone!
On ramps are really bad, I've had several friends loose their bikes going only 20-35 mph and hi-side it, causing their bikes to flip. 800+ pound bikes tumbling can really mess some stuff up....like windshields, handlebars, gauge clusters, crashbars, floorboards....
I'm extremely careful of onramps....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-06-2017, 02:40 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLady58 View Post
Only thing bad about big bikes like ours, if you get your foot/ankle under it, you can come away with a broken bone!
Been there.. Done that! Minus the broken bones.. Just a dislocated ankle and savior sprain. Took over a year & half for the swelling to go down to kinda normal. The embarrassing part was being trapped under her. Fortunately a couple of good Samaritans lifted it off me... Shitty end to a great 400 mile day of riding.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
VBA #03514

2002 Vulcan VN1500L Nomad fi
Pearl Burnish Beige/Pearl Luster Beige

Old 06-06-2017, 03:26 PM   #22
Advanced Member

Quote:
Fortunately, my wife wasn't around the last time I dropped the C90 in the driveway. Her car wasn't a week old, and I was parked next to it. Had the kickstand on a piece of landscape timber to check the oil, like I've done a hundred times before. Guess it was windy enough to take it over.

In slow motion, I'm trying to keep it from falling hard, hoping it misses her car. The windshield just barely got the fender. Have to really be looking for it to see it.

If she says anything, this is the only place I've told this story. Yeah, a story. That's all it was.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Old 06-06-2017, 04:14 PM   #23
Top Contributor

I was at a standstill with the engine off when I dropped my Voyager.
We were at a gas station and I turned around to see if my son had finished filling up his bike. While I was looking backwards the bike must have started to lean.
By the time I realised what was happening and turned forwards the bike was already at the point of no return. A few degrees off centre when you are stationary is all it takes and once it starts to go you are not stopping 900 lbs plus from going to the floor. I am no weakling and thought I could stop it but it really surprised me that I could not.

Old 06-06-2017, 04:52 PM   #24
Advanced Member

I was at York bike week in PA. several years ago, I got up one morning went out to the bikes and I forgot to take the brake lock off the rotor, I made it
about 16 inches and down I went. ( '99 1500 vulcan) embarrassment will help you pick it up by yourself
moments later the wife went to put down her foot at a stop, and boot lace was wrapped around the peg and down she went, right in front of a school bus man I can still hear those kids now laughing and mocking!

Old 06-06-2017, 07:08 PM   #25

had my 1500 classic 10 years never dropped it. slid it out on a corner once. but never dropped it. 190 miles on my 16 Vaquero, forgot the kick stand in the driveway. My neighbor had to help me lift it back up. I made him swear not to tell anyone. :)

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 06-06-2017, 11:05 PM   #26

I feel like I am a member of the exclusive,
'I dropped it Club", Thanks

Old 06-07-2017, 12:28 AM   #27
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdog View Post
I haven't dropped my bike, unless you insist on counting the time I got it out of the garage and did not put the kickstand down, it threw me into the shrubs I had just trimmed, then there was the time I stopped to make a phone call and stepped off the bike without putting the kickstand down. Or the time I was riding with a friend and at a stop my foot slipped on gravel and over it went, picked it up and rode up to a stop sign and my foot slipped again, all within 5 minutes. Last time was back in February at an enhanced riding skills class, I cut too sharp right at real low speed and the engine killed. I have accepted the fact that I will drop my bike at least twice a year, just to keep in practice. Thank God for the case guards and crash bars.
I believe you probably have the record. I'm catching up to you though. Damn top heavy beasts.

Old 06-07-2017, 05:43 AM   #28

Just brought it home. Honey says, ok take me for a ride. Steep gravel driveway with sharp curve. Must have touched the shifter and now I,m in neutral. Oh? Awkward, both feet down, only front brake scratching at gravel, we skid backwards 40 ft to the house. She says, "what did you forget?" Could not see the terror on my face, I said I wanted a better run at the hill.... Why tell her?

Old 06-07-2017, 06:54 AM   #29

My Nomad went down a few times.

There is the time I got hit sitting at the stop light.

Once in my dad's driveway I was too close to the edge and went to put my right foot down and there was nothing there, I missed the edge of the drive and down it went.

Then one time pulling out of a parking lot it was an off camber turn. I had the bars turned too far and a truck coming around the corner hit the Jake brake, and I hit my brake, gravity took over as it started to lean and I just couldn't quite hold it. That one was embarrassing.

The MeanStreak, I had just finished painting it and was out riding with a friend.

Down by the beach going around a blind corner about 10-15 mph and there in the road was a beach sand drift, a southern version of a snow drift, I was already committed to the corner and couldn't miss it. It was about two feet wide, 8 inches deep, and thirty feet plus long.

As soon as the front wheel hit it I knew I was going down.

I got it slowed down to less than five mph before the tank slapper started.

It's an amazing thing, even when you know it's unavoidable, you fight it until the end.

As I was going down I was thinking about how much I was going to have to fix.

Once stopped, I was still on the bike with my right leg taking most of the impact.

The bike had a little scuff on the front brake lever, that's it!

I had a road pepperoni on my right elbow and later a huge bruise on the right leg and my entire right foot was black and blue.

I limped for over a week.

But the bike didn't get hurt.

Welcome to the club.
VBA 936

Old 06-08-2017, 11:43 AM   #30
Advanced Member

Quote:
While riding my over loaded Triumph Rocket 3 Classic Tourer across country, I filled it with gas at a station in front of a motel at which I stayed in Louisville, KY. I rode it around back to air the tires and when went to get off, over she went, settling on the crash bars/highway pegs. Some numbskull had neglected to put the side stand down.

I righted it, looked around and there wasn't a soul in sight. Thus it never happened.

MAS, I have almost done that same thing with my Nomad. On the highway it's a dream but in parking lots and low speed turns, it's a tip over waiting to happen.