Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 10-23-2012, 04:11 PM   #16

Yes, plugs changed back in February I think, mebbe, March. Also, throttle bodies clean as a whistle. Bike runs like a champ other than these minor two issues.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-23-2012, 05:46 PM   #17

Thanks for the info BD. What torque spec did you use when attaching the new pipes to the engine? I already have a new set of crush gaskets.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:41 PM   #18
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
I believe 21 lb.ft. started the motor ran it at idle for 10 minutes. shut it down to cool off for a couple of hours. Retorqued. I have copper sealant on all crush gaskets and muffler slip joint connections... I hate leaks!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 10-26-2012, 12:01 PM   #19

@CactusJack,

So, if I'm two-thirds of the way there, what else do I need to do? I open up the intake and let the engine breathe by...what, adding Chucksters intake?

Old 10-26-2012, 12:35 PM   #20
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
He's probably going to tell you to buy a Harley like he did!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-26-2012, 01:39 PM   #21

Eh, I've thought about it. But, I just can't give up the Nomad. Not even for a newer one. LOL

Old 10-26-2012, 02:47 PM   #22

I had a Harley and a Nomad and the Nomad rides nicer. I finished up the big 3 last night by adding Chucksters Intake and a Powercommander. What a difference, all I can say is wow.

Old 10-27-2012, 03:39 PM   #23
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkazoid View Post
You know, this thread has been a very interesting read, since I have the Cobra True Duals, and the Cobra fuel processor installed. I swear, ever since I installed those things my mileage dropped from 40 - 45 mpg, to closer to 30. I've tried many different settings on the fuel processor, but I've never actually tried running 87 octane in it. I've always run super, and it's always had a bit of a rough start to where I have to basically engage throttle just a hair to keep the idle steady until it catches on itself.

I wonder, will dropping to 87 octane solve this hard cold start I have?
I agree with CJ. You need to open up the intake side of the air to be a right side or duel side breathing intake. The left side becomes moot and is for show and balance if that is your look.

With that and because you have the cobra fuel mod set up idle to apx 1,800 to 2,400 RPM and set pot 1 on the cobra unit that way seeking best RPM.

That bike all stock got something 34 36 MPG's......

I have only run TFI which changes idle RPM at idle speeds and IMO is the better of the 2 moduals.

I am running V&H baggers a Spector right side only intake and the TFI. Running a car tire rear, which eats up a bit of MPG I am still getting 42/46 MPG's 2 up.

My riding style is very laid back though, and i don't have any place legal to exceed 55 MPH unless I head to a interstate which is a no less than 1 hour no mater what way i ride, and i don't really like the interstate anyway.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 10-29-2012, 08:53 AM   #24

Cool, thanks for the good advice, all. I looked into the Chucksters mod, and I think I will order it, hopefully today if I remember to. Filled the bike up with 87 octane this weekend, but didn't get to ride; had honey-dos on Saturday, and the kids and grandkids showed up at the house Sunday so we had the impromptu cook-out.

Just had the back tire replaced Friday, so I'm looking to put some miles on this beast.