Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 10-19-2012, 10:58 AM   #16
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mackdog View Post
That looks great. Does it knock alot of wind off you?
Yes, I find that it does a better job then the stock windshield does. No buffeting and a lot less wind resistance when running at speed. I haven't even installed the lowers yet and that should help make it even better. The lowers are optional (extra) for the Memphis. They're only $25 more or you could even make your own if you're creative. I'll probably just order them though.

You can see them here in plumber's photo below. Lower part of the windshield where the three fastners/screws are. I also left the factory lowers on the fork legs and painted them black so they match the fairing.

lower wing deflectors

VBA member #01682
Green 1999 Nomad 1500 carb'd 43,000 miles
JOG'd at 20,000, JOG failed at 40,000
SOG'd at 40,000
Darksider

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by danimal2; 10-19-2012 at 11:16 AM.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:25 PM   #17

I had PhatII 4 inch risers with my Reckless and there was plenty of room. The only problem I had was the location of the stereo controls. Be sure to get a head unit with the controls mounted toward the top of the stereo, otherwise the risers may get in the way.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:13 PM   #18

When I first put on the batwing I removed the lowers because the brackets are part of the windshield setup. The wind coming up from under the fairing was bad. So I figured out how to put them back on with the batwing. Now theres hardly any wind hitting me. The top of the head buffering is none existent. Definitely better than the windshield IMO.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:33 PM   #19
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal2 View Post
I've got a set of 4" pull back risers but haven't installed them. I'm actually pretty happy with my current riding position. I've messed with handlebar position some and it feels pretty good.

Looks to be plenty of room for the risers and plumber says he's got em. Should be fine I would think.

For a reverse bend screen that one looks good and see's thru good too. I don't like the type(s) that cause a lot of distortion.
I also don't like the top tinted, mainly for night riding if the weather is bad and in NH if you don't ride in rain you don't ride.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 10-26-2012, 01:35 PM   #20

How does a clear shield help in bad weather? Not being a wise guy- just wondering if its really possible to duck behind the screen and ride. Maybe if I wore a helmet without a shield in an absolute pinch?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-26-2012, 07:17 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeSofa View Post
How does a clear shield help in bad weather? Not being a wise guy- just wondering if its really possible to duck behind the screen and ride. Maybe if I wore a helmet without a shield in an absolute pinch?
It's 2 inches wider than stock shield.
If it's sized right you can duck down behind it. I size mine so it's even with the tip of my nose that way i can see over it and also get down behind it.
If you ever get caught in fog and both sides of the shield get condensation on it you can't see thru it and being able to see over it is a must. This happens to be about 6 times a year riding to work.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"