Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 08-06-2009, 05:58 AM   #16
Top Contributor

It's the fuel pump.

TC. I am curious. Did you have the tank off shortly before the pump started whining ?
I had mine off about 2 weeks before the whine started. It had never been off before.
I am wondering if what we are hearing is some kind of air lock created by disconnecting the fuel line and not the pump at all.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-06-2009, 09:59 AM   #17

It's the fuel pump.

redjay, I had the tank propped up but didn't unhook any lines.
I was running the cable from my GPS along the frame.
I don't think it make the whine before that but I have checked my vent tubes and they are not kinked. I didn't remove the gas line and I don't know what else to check.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 08-06-2009, 10:49 AM   #18

It's the fuel pump.

TC you are well come. Although the Kaw version is that the pump, regulator and filter are a sealed unit and can only be replaced, once you've located a replacement (new or used) I would be inclined to take it a part. It looks "dissassembleable" (if that is a word) when I look at the one on my 07?
Even if you couldn't fix it I would want to see what went wrong and especially I'd want to see that filter. If you have something going on inside your tank (like rust or varnish build up) that plugged your filter and overloaded your pump motor you'd want to address that before putting a new $100-500 part on.
When I was young (long time ago) I lived in MI and had a tank rust through from the inside out on a 4 year old motorcycle. Water and other corrosives can really collect in a tank during a 3-4 month lay up and I notice you are in NY.
johnb; I appreciate and second the comment about everyone thoughts being valuable. I don't always agree with what is said but the collective knowledge of this group is so much more than what I have it's often that the exchanges turn into an education for me.
2010 Titanium Goldwing
2014 KLR 650 New Edition

Old 08-06-2009, 05:12 PM   #19

It's the fuel pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trosco
TC you are well come. Although the Kaw version is that the pump, regulator and filter are a sealed unit and can only be replaced, once you've located a replacement (new or used) I would be inclined to take it a part. It looks "dissassembleable" (if that is a word) when I look at the one on my 07?
Even if you couldn't fix it I would want to see what went wrong and especially I'd want to see that filter. If you have something going on inside your tank (like rust or varnish build up) that plugged your filter and overloaded your pump motor you'd want to address that before putting a new $100-500 part on.
When I was young (long time ago) I lived in MI and had a tank rust through from the inside out on a 4 year old motorcycle. Water and other corrosives can really collect in a tank during a 3-4 month lay up and I notice you are in NY.
johnb; I appreciate and second the comment about everyone thoughts being valuable. I don't always agree with what is said but the collective knowledge of this group is so much more than what I have it's often that the exchanges turn into an education for me.
Yes, I will try to take the old one apart when it is replaced.
During the winter layup here I put Stabilizer in the gas. That is supposed to take care of any issues as far as condensation and gas breaking down.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]