Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 06-05-2013, 09:17 PM   #136
Sr. Contributor

I would get some out Dave... If you can do anything like what Norm cnc says do it upright. Then when you guess maybe you are below the level that would be a 2x4 flat under the side stand set yer on down and wait armed with a rag.

No need to really drain........

The way i fill after draining is with tubing jammed on a the bottle nozzle and I get right down and see that the oil is at the full and allow a little to run out because there is a funny little shelf there inside the case. make sure the oil level is real and not just too much oil on that little shelf. I have no idea what that shelf in the casting is.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-06-2013, 02:26 AM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawhead View Post
And wind afterwards.
That explains a lot. Every time we ride he keeps asking me if I smelled the skunk. I never even seen any skunks on the rode.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:44 AM   #138

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhollinger View Post
Looking forward to meeting everyone coming to the SE meet and greet in September so I can comfortably insult them afterwords! Especially Kawhead!
I like the way he talks umhuhhh!
You got it 10-4 Wilco Rodger You bechor suitass!!!!!
I wish winning the lottery was as easy as scoring with big ol' drunk ugly hunch back web footed women with warts on their face with big tiddies.

If it was we'd all be doing a bunch of rallies all on Kawhead!!

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Old 06-06-2013, 07:16 AM   #139

Thanks Norm/Mac...I will pull it out this weekend. Raining all week here so its sitting home alone. Too busy with other projects to look at it till probably Sunday. I will let you know what I find and how much comes out. Thanks again.

David Hollinger
2002 Beige 1500 "Hannah2"
VBA # 02195

Old 06-06-2013, 09:00 AM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawhead View Post
You got it 10-4 Wilco Rodger You bechor suitass!!!!!
I wish winning the lottery was as easy as scoring with big ol' drunk ugly hunch back web footed women with warts on their face with big tiddies.

If it was we'd all be doing a bunch of rallies all on Kawhead!!
I don't even want to know about these mutant women you speak of.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #141

Hell I do!!! Bring em on Kawhead! Or maybe just the one with "big tiddies"... LOL!

David Hollinger
VBA # 02195

Old 06-06-2013, 11:30 AM   #142
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
David, I'd pull it out yesterday... I know how projects can stack up. Just drop the top bolt on the side stand, 5 minutes.. the longer the seal is soaking the worse it's going to be... then you have a larger project on your hands as Mac pointed out!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 06-06-2013, 03:00 PM   #143

Thanks BD, but I took it to a shop yesterday to have them look at it for me. When I had the wheel off the other day and greased it all up, it came off and went back on pretty easy but I started feeling a weird vibration in the floorboards and grips a few days later. I didnt want to ride it any further without knowing if I had done something screwy when I had it apart so I dropped it off. I think I am my own worst enemy. I will have the shop guy pull out a couple ounces or I will do it when I get it back.
The vibration was felt more at deceleration if that tells you anything...and was intermittent, not constant at all. ???

David Hollinger
VBA # 02195

Old 06-06-2013, 10:57 PM   #144

Have you checked the U joint Dave, I'd take a look at it just to be sure its ok.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 06-07-2013, 12:40 AM   #145
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Steve's right Dave. decel vibe usually means u joint as there is no load on the engine.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 06-07-2013, 06:52 AM   #146

Dave these bikes are usually very reliable and quite trouble free, your ruining their reputation.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 06-07-2013, 08:54 AM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc View Post
Dave these bikes are usually very reliable and quite trouble free, your ruining their reputation.
Yeah, its 11 years old and I am probably the FIRST to do any work on it at all. I am amazed that it has ran as smoothly as it did the first year I have had it. However I ride the hell out of it. It does not get babied.
I can tell you it will do 105! (which is more like 99mph) I have not checked the Ujoint because I dont know what or where that is! I have never checked the swingarm...ever. That was the reason for my VIDEOS post! Hate to show my ignorance here but I am no wrench at all. Everything I have done so far is because you all gave me the Know HOW and nerve to try it first. I love the Nomad and its a kick ass bike, but I want it maintained right because I will rely heavily on it. Thats why it seems I am always posting trouble items. I may be just a little paranoid! But Thanks for everyone's help!

David Hollinger
VBA # 02195

Old 06-07-2013, 09:02 AM   #148

The U joint is at the end of the driveshaft, where the rubber boot is. You pretty well have to remove the shaft, which involves removing the rear wheel and final drive.
Its all straightforward and not hard to do. If you change it make sure to change the rubber boot as well, if yours is 11 years old its overdue, as they crack and then dirt and water gets in ruining the Ujoint.
Gadgets Fixit has a great how to on changing the U Joint and we have the part nimber listed here in the Tech section.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 06-07-2013, 10:16 AM   #149

Thanks Ring...It is on my list now....

David Hollinger
VBA # 02195

Old 06-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #150
Sr. Contributor

While you are there Dave, grab the spline to the engine side the bevel gear spline and see if it seems sloppy Bearings there can go bad. You will be releasing the drive shaft from that spline. In the maint section I have a picture of the little pin you depress to slip the drive shaft off that spline too.

Don't lose that pin. Before you do press that pin down have a rag stuffed around that bevel gear spline so no matter what that pin can' pop back up and fall inside the engine/tranny case. This sounds like a big deal but it isn't. The pin is just a steel retainer that holds the drive shaft on the top end spline. To pull the shaft off you need to locate the hole apx 3/16th inch and send a smaller allen wrench down there about 1/8th inch and pull the drive shaft rearwards.

On that same bit of tech info there is a pic of my bike on the lift with a barn bucket upside down that the swing arm rests on.

I didn't want to cut the brake line wire loops, and haven't yet.

I had to hunt to find this link myself..... Below the post is another loaded with pics.
http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=15791

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it