Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 07-10-2022, 09:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeAss View Post
Or just spin the fan by hand...
Not fast enough.

Compressed air didn't work, not enough volume. Leaf blower worked, but was really loud, so I couldn't hear anything else... but I don't think it's the fan; the blades just aren't close enough to anything to rub, and it doesn't seem to have any movement in the axis to move closer to anything to rub against.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-11-2022, 09:05 AM   #17

Just throwing this out there

Old 07-11-2022, 09:06 AM   #18

Love it when the message does not appear… Check your wheel weights, mine have come off twice. Tire may not be tracking as it should?

Old 07-11-2022, 06:53 PM   #19

[QUOTE=ldhthept;728447]Love it when the message does not appear

Old 07-12-2022, 07:24 AM   #20

i say run it on a lift and see if it is the U-joint

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-14-2022, 11:43 AM   #21

After reading your complaint about your bike noise I was thinking that maybe one of the calipers is slow to release and a brake pad could be dragging beacause its not going back to the neutral position. Just a guess hope you find it.

Old 07-14-2022, 05:26 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad dad View Post
After reading your complaint about your bike noise I was thinking that maybe one of the calipers is slow to release and a brake pad could be dragging beacause its not going back to the neutral position. Just a guess hope you find it.
The 20mph thing, would rule that out.

Old 07-21-2022, 03:58 PM   #23
Advanced Member

Wheel weights coming off won't create a scraping noise. Same for rear wheel not tracking straight as the brake caliper/mount moves with the rear wheel. On the 1500/1600 there is no tracking misadjustment of the rear wheel because it is all fixed by the rear drive hub, nothing to get out of adjustment.

A failed rear wheel/hub bearing? Yes that could cause noise. Jack up the bike with the rear wheel off the surface and spin it to feel/hear anything. Possibly even start the bike and put it in gear, use the clutch to apply/disengage power to the rear wheel and listen for any noise that responds to that action. Brake pads worn to the point of worn through the pad material would cause a scraping noise. Again, tires off the surface a spun could pinpoint the noise source.

Last edited by andyvh1959; 07-21-2022 at 04:04 PM.

Old 08-19-2022, 11:36 AM   #24

check inside headlite bucket i had a noise that took forever to trace it was a plastic fitting rubbing on the inside of the housing

Old 09-13-2022, 08:52 PM   #25

Okay, life happened and this became low priority... finally got back to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad dad View Post
Hmm...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
The 20mph thing, would rule that out.

This was my logic as well. Soooo...

I got the bike back up on blocks; ran it through the gears, let it coast, etc, no strange noises.

Tried to spin the front wheel as fast as I could, but like before, just couldn't get enough RPM to get above what would be 20mph. I decided it almost had to be the front brakes though, and since I had already pulled the pads previously for visual inspection, I decided to bleed the brakes. Maybe a caliper was sticking or something... this would not explain the consistent 20mph on/off behavior, but I had nothing left. The brake fluid was pretty dark on one side though, so it needs to be changed anyway.

Got it back down, took it for a ride... no more noise! I guess it was just a sticking caliper; still not sure how the 20mph phenomenon worked, but it's fixed.

Last edited by gotdurt; 09-14-2022 at 12:31 PM.